“Great place, just don't hire a guide via reception”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mumbai (Bombay)
YWCA International Guest House
Reviewed 24 July 2014

One of the best places we stayed in India, great location, very clean, nice rooms and great breakfast and Dinner, only gripe was that we hired a driver to show us around via a guy on reception, the driver who turned up the next day didn't speak English, so we then had to scour the streets and get someone who spoke English (who we had to pay extra on top).

The English speaker then listed the places to the driver which we wanted to visit and even came with us to some, but the driver didn't seem to quite understand the list of places or that we actually wanted to stop as some and actually look at them as opposed to drive by.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed during two months in May and June 2013 and I was very surprised by the great stay that I had. It was lovely to wake up every morning with the newspaper at my doorstep which I would then bring down to read while having the complementary breakfast. Also if you are an early riser and want some tea before breakfast, you can ask for one and it will be delivered for free, something that is always nice!
The location is unbeatable, you are right at the centre of everything and you can go to all the places that you may wish to visit walking: Marine Drive, Victoria Station, Museums, Kala Ghoda, Taj Mahal, Colaba Causeway, Gateway of India... It is also very convenient as close by there is a supermarket (Sahakari Bhandar) where you can buy all kinds of food only inconvenience is that there is no fridge at your disposition in the hostel. But you don't necessarily need one as both your breakfast and dinner are provided by the YWCA. The food changed everyday, it is quite good but for those that can't handle Indian food, you will have to eat somewhere else for dinner as the food is all Indian (although once a week they have Chinese).
Having travelled across India and having stayed in the country for lonf periods of time I can only tell you how hard it is to keep a place clean, well, here everything was always perfectly clean: the room, common areas, etc... This was such a relief!
One last thing, the staff is very friendly and although they are not masters of English they do understand and talk to you every day which is always nice!

Room Tip: If you want to have a nice view over the city ask for a room facing the road (but be ready to cope w...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank mumbaikar94
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Highly recommend; Great value for money in the heart of many tourist attractions. Close to the famous Taj Hotel, India Gate, ferry to Elephanta Island, The famous Victoria Railway Station, Fab India and great choice of eateries.
Rooms are very clean, air con and serviced daily with fresh towels. Hot Showers, breakfast and dinner included in price and we dined like kings in the well appointed dining room. Travelling as mother and daughter it was the perfect way to end our month long holiday in India and would have to be one of the best places we stayed for the price.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Debbie M
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Great location, very safe, we were well cared for. Internet provided free of charge. The food was excellent, and had a variety of dishes while still authentically Indian food. Rooms clean & very well air conditioned. It's not fancy, but I had nothing to complain about while staying there.

Room Tip: We had a corner room with about double the space as other rooms and a delightful view from a small b...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Teagan D
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Excellent location (walkable to Colaba Causeway, Gateway of India, Kala Ghoda arts district, etc). Reliable service, tasty breakfast, fast WiFi. Rooms are clean and new, and staff run the place professionally. A great value-for-money option in the heart of south Mumbai.

• Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank intrepidtraveller288
Reviewed 10 May 2014

What should I expect when planning to stay in a Youth Hostile? But for $85 US dollars I would expect more. We arrived late at night, so we were happy just to not sleep upright, as we had in our taxi for the four hour drive there. The building is an ancient gothic stone structure, that made me want to write a novel with this as the setting. It was amazing! Enormous trees with heavy vines hovering and keeping the building shaded. Inside, you can see the wear and tear of it's use as a community building. There were children and families running about the main room and the outdoor play yard, even at 11pm. It has a very friendly feel.

The rooms are very quaint. We had two single beds, with throw blankets that may have been woven the day the YWCA opened it's doors for the first time. Vintage? A small table and a simple desk were all that adorned the room. There was a ceiling fan and a wall air conditioning unit. The bathroom was interesting. The toilet was complimented by the sprayer all Indian bathrooms seem to have - bring your own toilet paper while in India. My daughter and I used two rolls over two weeks because it was sparse, even in very nice hotels. The shower was the interesting part. It is not in a stall, but shares the wall of the toilet and is right next to the toilet and in front of the sink. The entire bathroom floor is the floor of the shower. This really creeped me out as any germs on the floor from around the toilet, mixed into the runoff water from the shower. Also, our drain backed up so I turned the water on and off as needed, so I wasn't standing in a puddle of germy water the whole shower. I tried not to think about it, and wrapped it into the India "experience".

The bathroom door was rotted away on the bottom few inches of it's structure, and there was mold in the room and bathroom. As hot and humid as it is here, that would be expected. If you are staying at a Hostile, I am sure you do not expect super high standards, but I just wanted to give a view of what to expect.

We used the air conditioning at night (there is an additional fee for if you use it). Around 2am I woke up freezing. It only ran on high and the threadbare coverlets they give you do nothing to match the intensity of the AC unit. I managed to turn it off and use the fan instead. By 5am it was hot and humid again. The air quality here is not the greatest; it can be stifling. There seemed to be no happy medium.

I know I am probably the fussiest of people staying here, and a friend of ours chose this location for while we were in Mumbai, so I am grateful for the experience, but I would not stay here again. Not for $85 a night.

We did not eat the complimentary meals while here but heard from another guest that they were quite good.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank jenniebdot
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We arrived at 2.30 in the am, so decided to stay here for the first "night" and second night. This was in an excellent location. The rooms were basic but clean and air conditioned. The food was good, both the 2 breakfasts and one evening meal included in the room rate. Only down side is the fact that our 23 year old left her brand new Ralph Lauren cardigan and trainers inadvertently in the wardrobe. She emailed and phoned within a day, to sort collection on our return to Mumbai but was told, " the cardigan was left next to the rubbish bin and was thrown out as the cleaner thought it was trash. The trainers are now in lost property". Further emails protesting that the cardigan was hung in the wardrobe were ignored. Well I suppose it is India but the only sour taste in our whole amazing Indian trip. If one adds the cardigan replacement cost to the accommodation cost, it probably still works out at reasonable value. Would stay there again but be very careful with belongings. Had no other similar experiences in India but double checked all rooms twice!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family