“Great collection but no photography”

Bhau Daji Lad Museum
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Mumbai (Bombay), India
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Great collection but no photography”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Great collection of items but totally disappointing as SLR cameras are not allowed inside but any other cameras are.... strange rule ruined my visit.

Visited September 2013
4 Thank Prajeshdutta

Hong Kong, China
282 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 425 helpful votes
“Breathtaking and the place to visit in mumbai”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

This is an astonishing Museum - if you want to get a sense of what the Great Exhibition of 1851 was like, or how the Victoria and Albert Museum originally looked like - this is the place.

After having gone through an extensive renovation the Museum has been re-opened. Walk into soaring hallways, thin metal columns holding up the tiered landings, beautifully painted ironworks complete a magnificent setting. The exhibits themselves are eclectic and give a clear view of Mumbai's history.

They frown on photograph taking unless you pay the fee but dont miss this place - it is far better than the Prince of wales Museum - go for atmosphere and for seeing a genuine jem.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank ESVincent
Bengaluru, India
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 173 helpful votes
“Well maintained”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

This museum to my surprise is a well maintained and managed. However they restrict your DSLR but you can click pictures using your mobile camera. The roof is a piece of art and so is the statues inside and outside.
They have a separate art gallery too.
I loved this place.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank saish746
MUMBAI INDIA
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Really Disappointing Experience.Stay away if you are a photography enthusiast”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I had read a lot about how this museum was restored and the pictures in the newspaper really looked amazing. Recently I had purchased a DSLR camera for myself. I thought this would have been a really good oppotunity for sharpening my photography skills. So I went through their website on how to reach the place and any instructions that I needed to follow.

I landed up at their doorstep and purchased a ticket to enter. After that I went to submit my bag at the baggage counter. Thats when the trouble started. The guard asked me if i had a camera. I said yes, I had assumed that since this is a museum anyone would bring a camera to click pics. He asked me which camera is it. I said it is a DSLR camera. He blankly said that it is not allowed in the museum. I was shocked. I had travelled all the way from the suburbs in the dreaded Mumbai trains to reach this place and now I was being told that "normal" digital cameras are allowed but not "Professional" ones. I asked to speak to the manager. The lady came and repeated the same lines ad verbatim. She said that they have had some previous issues with people coming and reproducing some pics for commercial purposes. Thats why they had brought out this rule. I was like HELLO THIS IS A MUSEUM, NOT A BANK OR A HIGH SECURITY AREA. why would you not want people to reproduce the images???? And plus why was it not explicitly mentioned anywhere on your website that DSLR cameras are not allowed?

Anyways she was not ready to budge and I was really irritated by their rigidity. I asked for a refund and stormed out of the place and into the Prince of Wales Museum, Where they do allow cameras ...ALL types of cameras.

What a waste of time it was to visit this place run by regressive staff. Will never be returning.

Visited November 2013
Mumbai (Bombay), India
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Must visit this museum”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This a true representation of history of Mumbai.
The displays are very pleasing and it gives a glimpse at the life
in and around Mumbai. They have miniature dolls of all castes and religions in India. It can be seen in 2 hours. The price is right even for the foreigners. It is located at the entrance of the Zoo. Once during a year there is a plants and garden exibition
in front of the museum. The museum is recently renovated. I take all my friends and visitors to this museum.

Visited December 2012