“Loved the Omni”
Review of Sahara Star Hotel

Sahara Star Hotel
Ranked #24 of 448 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Dubai
“Loved the Omni”
Reviewed 3 December 2009

Fabulous view from the room and from the balcony. But the music disturbs during night sleep. Impeccable neatness of the room and delicious buffet at the coffee shop.

• Liked — Cleanliness of the room
  • Disliked — Noise from the balcony at night
  • Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (602)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
mumbai
Reviewed 3 December 2009

I thing so that was my one of best night, I was very surprise to see hospitality and service, even food also I never had that type of food in any 5 star hotel in Mumbai.

• Liked — honeymoon
  • Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 14 November 2009

In its current state you will be filled with horror and regret when you spot the outside of the Sahara Star. Its appearance from outside is of an abandoned sports stadium. You will, however, breathe a sigh of relief when you get inside. It's not perfect, but the rooms are clean and up-to-date, and the inward facing view to the 'tropical lagoon' is something different.

Note that the central atrium area does become fairly hot and stuffy during the day, and not all areas are air-conditioned (rooms and restaurants are, however, generally OK). This, and the fact that there's no outside view, can make it all feel a bit claustrophobic after a while.

There was also a strange smell throughout the corridors on our floor that the hotel was trying to mask with various citrus smells.

Ultimately it's fine for a short stay whilst in transit through Mumbai via the domestic (on the doorstep) or international (20-30mins drive) airports, but maybe not somewhere that you'd choose to base yourself for a longer visit to the city.

Note also that redevelopment work is still ongoing at the site to add more facilities. This wasn't noticeable during our stay, but may change.

We had no problems with any of the staff who were all helpful and professional throughout our stay.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2009

We booked through ebookers and thought the deal we found for this hotel was very competative. Unfortunately on arrival at this hotel around 7pm in the eviening my family with young children and elderly mother -exhausted from our journey were greated by an untrained unprofessional manager Poonam suggesting that we had not paid sufficent amount to ebookers for our stay at Sahara Star. She went onto infotm us that she had contacted ebookers who had informed her that they were not responsible for extra monies due and she would need to recover the extra sum from us.

We tried to explain that we had purchased in good faith the cost of the rooms and had paper to proove we had paid full cost. We stressed that this was an issue between them and ebookers.I asked to speak to the manager and she said she was the manager.

She continued to insist on a payment of 10,000 rupees!! I asked to speak to ebooker's. She informed me that I would be charged for the call!! At this point I completley lost my cool. Incidently she chaged her story three times by the end of one and half hours.

I tried to explain in management speak that I would not be recommending this hotel to colleagues or friends. She made it clear that she wasn't concerned by this and in fact said she would refund our money and we could find another hotel!!

Eventually it transpired that Sahara were at fault. A technical error had been made on their web. The officer concerned had come to hear about the dispute and came down. We were told by the officer that a deduction would be made from his salary if we couldn't help him out. By this time I was exhausted and disgusted with the employers not to mention the manager Poonam who had made no attempts to apologies. I felt sorry for the officer and agreed to pay approx 7000 rupees.

The experience left me, my family very bitter. The next morning I felt very uncomfertable about what had happened and asked to see one of the managing directors. I fortunately met a very professional office manager Ash who immediately undertook action to rectify what happened. She arranged for the sum to be reimbursed into our bank account, and assured me that issue was between ebookers and themselves and we should not have been asked to get involved.

Would I stay at this hotel again?-Definitely not unless Sahara can ensure proper customer relations training is in place, and staff understand they are working in a 5 star environment where customers are expected to be treated in a 5 star manner!!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank mina919
India
Reviewed 15 October 2009

This hotel is worth visiting. The center area with the lagoon, etc is a delight to see. The buffet breakfast, which is generally included in the room price, offers great selection and tastes wonderful.

The rooms are as one would expect of a 5 star and offer all the amenities needed and the balcony overlooks the lagoon. The staff is very helpful. The hotel is located next to the domestic airport.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
West
Reviewed 10 October 2009

Located very close to domestic airport, it is a hotel where all rooms face inwards,to a round garden & lagoon covered by a dome. Rooms are roomy and comfortable, bathrooms OK; you can use your private balcony which faces the central area.
Staff was helpull and efficient.
The last day, I was flying back at midnight; I checked out in the morning, left my suitcase; in the evening I was able to come back and was given access to the spa for a quick shower & change.
Good restaurants (I used only 2:world cuisine with a good buffet offering a large choice, and Indian cuisine ) and a breakfast buffet which can satisfy any habit.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank bru44
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 8 September 2009

It was my wifes birthday and i wanted to take her to a great place ended up at this lousy place. The staf is very rude and the ambeince is depressing. We were asked to wait as the buffet was being laid., so we thought why not just visit the place. We were asked wait near the front desk as the central atrium was not a waitng lounge.
Now thats terrible because they had speciallly placed chairs and tables to feel the atmoshepher but we were asked to get up. Furthore more they didint alow us to take pictures.
I have been to many countries but nowhere i have been asked not to click pictures.
I THINK IF THAT IS THE CASE THEN TRIPDVISOR WILL HAVE TO DOAWAY WITH POSTING OF SNAPS(just kidding).
Anyway after all these episodes we thought it is better to leave this horrible place. We went to Hotel Orchid nearby where last year we had celebrated my wifes birthday. We celebrated at the same place again but we didnt regret our decesion. we enjoyed it throughly.

• Liked — central atrium
  • Disliked — rude and bad staff and service
  • Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple