Ikaki Niwas
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
  • Room Service
All reviewscooking demonstrationhome away from homelovely roof terracelovely homehouse is beautifulsafe areatop floorwonderful hostsplunge poolplace to stayguest househome cookedquiet neighborhoodcooking classbreakfast was deliciouscomfortable bedsstayed for one night
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Jaideo and his family were extremely kind and accommodating to myself and my wife. We had missed our train coming into Jaipur and ended up not getting in until 1 am. We had help getting to his home even that late at night and upon arrival decided that it would be wise to stay a few extra nights, which was not a problem at all. We enjoyed some great dinners and even got to spend some time in the kitchen. All the rooms we as described and photographed with beautiful decor. The neighborhood is nice and quiet, but still close enough to all the major attractions that Jaipur has to offer.

We feel that we've made long term friends with Jaideo and his family, even though we're on the other side of the world, and plan on visiting India ( and their home) again very soon.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Everything was well taken care of. The staff was extremely helpful. The hospitality was amazing.I highly recommend anyone traveling to the area to make sure this is your stay of choice. The facility was neatly kept. The food prepared by the chef was a great chance time explore the the foods of the land. It was a great experience to eat like Indians ate. The amenities were exceptional! The property was also finely decorated! -Ced

-Ced

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Cedric B
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Clichè, but accurate! JD and his family are loving, gentle people. The food is exquisite. The rooms are airy and imminently clean. It's one of the best bed and breakfast stays I have ever had. I can't say enough about the whole experience. We had to leave ridiculously early in the morning, and JD himself sat with us for a lovely breakfast. He did not have to do such a thing. We would return to Ikaki in a heartbeat. Hopefully, JD will branch out and open more like this!

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Chey D
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Ikaki Niwas was our oasis and retreat at the end of each day of adventure in Jaipur. Our accommodations were excellent with comfortable beds, beautiful views, relief from the heat, wifi and delicious and nourishing meals. The people make this hotel the number one choice. We were welcomed through the door and into their lives, making the visit truly magical.

Room Tip: Our room on the third floor had beautiful views and an outside sitting area.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I am an American college student who just returned to the U.S. after a 3 week study abroad/tourist trip to India. We also stayed in more "Western" style hotels in Delhi and Agra, but Ikaki Niwas in Jaipur was by far my favorite. My group and I (about twenty people total) stayed there for about two weeks. Even in that short time, I felt such a bond with the place and the people there that I shed many tears upon leaving. Even better than the comfortable rooms and delicious food was the fantastic service - JD, Devika, Jony, Dinesh, and all the others not only ensured our comfort, but became our good friends.

Ikaki Niwas doesn't really feel like a hotel; it is much more personal and homey than the typical hotel. I think of it more as a guesthouse or a bed and breakfast type place. I stayed on the second floor in a charming room that was very comfortable. We were able to adjust the air conditioning to our liking, as well as the fan. The shower includes a little water heater, which was wonderful. You just turn on a switch, wait about five or ten minutes, and you're ready for a hot shower. This feature made for a much better experience than the bigger hotels I stayed at in Delhi and Agra, where hot water was a hit or miss.

I hand washed my clothes during my stay, which was pretty easy since a bucket was provided in the bathroom for this purpose. Cheap packets of laundry detergent were available for purchase at a little store down the road, about a minute's walk away. We were able to put our clothes outside on a balcony to air dry if we wanted to. A laundry service was also available (clothes would be sent off outside of the hotel) for a fair price.

Our group ate breakfast and dinner at Ikaki Niwas almost every day during our stay. Breakfast usually included a great mix of Western and Indian style foods. Omelettes, toast, muffins, and fresh mangoes were available each day. Coffee and tea was always hot and ready, and one or more of the staff members was always replenishing our beverages. JD's wife Devika is so sweet and stood by the food to serve us or tell us what was what. Dinesh is probably the most polite person I have ever met and deserves so much appreciation for his tireless service in clearing dishes and serving refills.

There is a lovely outdoor pool, which is a good place to relax after a long day of sightseeing. Many tropical plants adorn the patio and balcony areas. One of my favorite parts was a park that was located just outside the house. Many people from the nice, totally safe neighborhood walked there in the mornings and evenings. Many times before dinner, I went to the park to walk or read. As someone who is very obviously not an Indian, I got some attention, but all of it was polite and positive. I met a professor from Rajasthan University, as well as some other adults who asked me about my home country, studies, etc. Many children crowded the playground, and I became friends with a few of them and even joined them in playing hide and seek. This chance to meet local people is something you will NOT get at a typical hotel, and it made me feel like I was experiencing the "real" India and seeing how people live there on a daily basis.

The interior decor and layout makes you feel at home because it is a home. JD, who runs the place, lives there with his wife and parents. Family photos, bookshelves, and religious icons adorn the walls. On the second floor there is even a small shrine, which can be viewed from a respectful distance. A balcony on the top floor offers a lovely view of the cityscape. This is a great place to sneak away in the early morning to have tea and some quiet time.

The nearby store is also a plus because you can get soft drinks, chips, hygiene items, snacks, etc. for a cheap price. To go out and see the sights in Jaipur, all we had to do was go to the end of the street and flag down an auto-rickshaw (aka "tuk tuk"). JD and Jony were great about giving us tips for where to go and how much to pay the drivers. Both men are outstanding people who will not hesitate to help you in any way, at any time.

I could write much more about the outstanding hospitality I experienced at Ikaki Niwas, but this is the bottom line: If you're going to be in Jaipur, especially for more than a night or two, STAY HERE. You will not regret it. Hands down the most homey and authentic establishment I found in India.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends