“Loved the Umaid Mahal”
Review of Umaid Mahal

Umaid Mahal
Ranked #24 of 385 Hotels in Jaipur
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights in February. I really enjoyed my stay. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I also liked the location of the hotel. It was very quiet at night which I really enjoyed. I will certainly stay here again when I'm in Jaipur.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Terry B

Reviewed 5 March 2014

It's hotels like this that make you thank Trip Advisor and all the reviewers. Rarely do you find a hotel that exceeds the reviews and your expectations in every way. This is one such hotel and you know it from the moment you walk through the front gates and are greeted by helpful, friendly staff through the brass front doors to the traditionally ornamented and furnished lobby where the front of house signs you in with courtesy and efficiency. Then, joy of joys, your room is nothing short of exquisite - ornate, beautifully furnished, immaculate, wonderful huge bed, air conditioned, little balcony with views and excellent clean bathroom with lots of hot water. There's not much more you could ask for but you do get more - a great breakfast buffet and an open air dining room with quality food at a reasonable price on the roof with expansive views. All this for not much more than the crappy standard hotels you get used to so this is discount luxury. Seek no further - stay here.

Room Tip: The higher rooms have the best views. Particularly in summer probably best to avoid rooms just under...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank RolandWorldTravels
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This is a very very good hotel. It is exactly as advertised, actually a little better than advertised!
We were pickup from the airport in an Ambassador (which I consider a vintage car) brought back fond memories of childhood days!
While approaching the hotel we were skeptical about the the condition the hotel would be in and what deviation (from the hotel website & other information on this site as well as Tripadvisor) we would find. However, we were pleasantly surprised when we arrived there. It was a beautiful hotel; from the outside to the lobby to the interiors to the room.
The check-in was smooth, the bags were delivered to the room in time and the staff was courteous. The room was spic & span and so was the entire hotel and its premises.
We were a little disappointed with the breakfast on day 1 because of the spread. However, day 2 breakfast spread did not let us down. During dinner staff's perception of "spicy food" was not in line with our perception. But once we told them, the subsequent "Laal Maas" had the right about of spice. I do not consider this an issue at all because it is natural for food to be made with very little spice in hotels where non-indians stay.
The only issue we faced at this hotel was during the city tour. The driver had provided false information about some of the landmarks and had also over-charged us parking fees. However, I'm happy that once it was brought to the notice of the Manager and the travel desk it was promptly addressed and investigated. I do not know what the action taken was but I hope they have introduced some checks & balances to make sure this type of event does not occur in the future.
Overall, a memorable stay!

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Umaid Mahal was (is), an wonderful place to stay – whether you travel solo or with someone!

From the decoration of the hotel to the staff (which in my opinion it couldn’t get any better), I honestly couldn’t have picked anything more suitable for my stay than this hotel in Jaipur.

Its location helps you to relax a bit from the hectic city. It will take you approx. 15m by tuc-tuc to the city center (between 90 and 100rupees). Which in my opinion is a wonderful way to see the vibrating Jaipur!

Don’t expect a breakfast of kings. The variety is not that much (mainly Indian cuisine) but what they offer is quite fulfilling and it will keep you until lunch time, for sure.

The terrace offers you a nice view and a delicious choice of Indian dishes. Whether you go there to read a book, drink a beer, have a bite or dinner, just relax and enjoy the moment.

I had a great bedroom (3rd floor) – spotless! Clean, with a lovely balcony, a nice bathroom and all the amenities I needed. I felt like a Maharaja sleeping there! It’s a safe place where you can definitely relax.

I have to say the Wi-Fi worked, but it kept breaking the signal quiet often. If you have urgent emails to read, send, etc. I suggest you do it from the reception, where the signal is more strong.

I read some comments about the noise… I honestly have nothing to say about this. Sure, sometimes I woke up by people passing on the street or a pair of beautiful peacocks “screaming” outside but in my opinion you can’t prevent life of happening just because you want to sleep! You’re in one of the busiest cities in the world! Enjoy Jaipur!

Overall (as already said above), I couldn’t have picked anything better than this!
Thank you all the Umaid Mahal staff for making my stay so pleasant!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank H002014
Reviewed 1 March 2014

The hotel is not as good as it looks in pictures on the website but what can one expect for around 2500 per night. We were a family of four adults accompanied by my infant daughter. I am happy that the room service could serve us khichdi for our kid and boil milk for her. The receptionist (male) was less than forthcoming though. Location of the hotel is poor and uninspiring. Wi-fi does not work.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed 2 nights, and loved it.
Our room was very clean, large and airy.
The furniture was beautiful and the bed comfortable, ( the staff happily changed the too firm pillow for me )
Between the bedroom and the bathroom was a separate area for luggage etc. the bathroom was huge with a good vanity with bench space and an enclosed shower with plenty of hot water, and a hairdryer.
There was a desk and chair and the free Wi Fi reception was good in our room.
We had a balcony just big enough to sit out on a have a cup of coffee.
There was a fridge and tea/ coffee making facilities bottled water provided also a safe.
The whole hotel was beautiful, see my photos.
Breakfast was perfectly adequate, we had eggs , but It wasn't exceptional, the dining room was !
The staff were friendly and helpful.
The location seemed close to the main tourist sites, but we had a car so I can't comment on anything within walking distance.

Room Tip: We always ask for a balcony as we like to sit outside.
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Since I am in India,this is the best hotel where we stayed.
Rooms where clean, nice, cousy, quite. All the facilities very beautiful. Staff - friendly and helpful. Wifi was not working a long time. In the breakfast could be more choices.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends