Hotel Himalaya Residency
Taj Coromandel Chennai(Chennai (Madras))
US$179
Hotels.com
The Leela Palace Chennai(Chennai (Madras))
US$179
US$166
US$221
Hilton Chennai(Chennai (Madras))
US$113
Trident, Chennai(Chennai (Madras))
US$145
US$122
Park Hyatt Chennai(Chennai (Madras))
US$119
US$114
Grand Chennai by GRT Hotels(Chennai (Madras))
US$85
US$61
Agoda.com
Taj Club House(Chennai (Madras))
US$171
US$78
The Accord Metropolitan(Chennai (Madras))
US$78
US$75
Hotels.com
The Residency Towers(Chennai (Madras))
US$86
US$74
All reviewsbudget hotelmarina beachroom was cleanstayed herenice stayfront officebalconytv
Reviewed 13 June 2012

3 bedded a/c room is congested. Room and bathroom are however quite clean. There is no in-house restaurant but there are many eateries nearby. Don't ask them to book a cab for you. They will charge you Rs 600 for airport dropping while the actual charge is around Rs 300-400.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank pilgrimm2010
Reviewed 11 June 2012

This hotel is strictly a budget hotel, location is good and that is just about the only good thing about this.Service is poor,Rooms are old with very basic amenities.No restaurant,and the front desk arranges vehicle at exorbitant rates!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Shiva_Assam
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I stayed in this hotel for almost 10 days when I was relocated to Chennai.It is a very basic hotel. But it was very much sufficient for me to stay till I found a rented apartment. I stayed in their non a/c room which was pretty clean. The bath room is also very tidy. For Rs.600 per day, we cant expect anything more than this. The only discomfort I had was the Jaundice hospital view from my balcony and the TV channels which was poor clarity. The area, Triplicane, is crowded with many small shops. For my luck, there was a Malayalee hotel also in the area. The hotel laundry service is also very prompt. I suggest this hotel if would like to come to Chennai and just need to fresh up. Also I suggest to the people like me who is new to the city and looking for a reasonable stay till finding a permanent residential plot.

Room Tip: You may have to book before arrival. Most of the rooms are always full at there.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank joseittan
Reviewed 24 March 2012

I fled a filthy fea-pit elsewhere and checked in here, so in comparison it was clean and normal. By international standards it is not that clean, but compared to the very dirty hostels and local hotels across India, this one is pretty good. The best thing is the price - only 500 rupees for a solo traveller. And they do a 24 hour check-in and out so if you check in at say 4pm you get the room until 4pm the following day.

The photos shown above had me hesitate at first because the rooms in no way look anything like those photos - only the pics of the outside of the building made me recognize it as the same hotel. The rooms are very plain - white sheet, one pillow and beige walls. Thats it!

I stayed here when there was a very large family of indians staying on the same floor and so I didnt sleep much as the room doors were open all night and all the TVs baring all the time - cricket and bollywood, but it was seemingly quiet on the other floors. But India is very noisy and ear plugs sorted out that problem very quickly.
The guy who carries bags and brings the 1 x sheet upstairs will happily head out and find you some chai from a local restaurant too.
I stayed a few times whenever I passed through Chennai and found it safe and very affordable, and relatively clean.
One of the few places I stayed in India which has hot showers which worked, but ask them to check before you take a room as my first one was cold and they moved me to another room.

Room Tip: some rooms have hot showers, others are tepid
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Apart from looking more shabby, I can see the place hasn't change since 1989.
I went to this hotel then because there was no room at a small place down the road that had trees growing through the building like something out of The Hobbit.

The Himalaya was a 'normal' place & quite a change to some of the truly unusual places I had stayed.

Room Tip: You're in India for Christ's sake. Live on your wits!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends