“Do not consider EVER!”
Review of Manhattan Hotel

Manhattan Hotel
Manhattan Hotel
Ranked #338 of 407 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed 11 March 2013

It was my mistake that I did not chck the reviews about this hotel before leaving for chennai. I stayed there as it was closest to the venue I had to visit for a meeting, but next time I would prefer to travel an hour or two rather than staying at this place. When I arrived I was amazed to see that there was no reception staff nor there was the manager of the hotel. The bellboy helped me check in and handled the transactions. Next on reaching the allotted room I found the central air cooler not working properly(mind you there is no A/C in any room) and on reporting this to reception they sent the maintenance worker and he uninstalled the components and started cleaning the filter as I sat there waiting to have my room to myself. Later they shifted me twice to two different rooms. Next there was no cable connection for televisions and the manager repeatedly assured me to set the TV working in sometime but could not do it till I checked out after 24Hrs. The walls had terrible seepage. As I ordered for room service they billed every item at approximately double the price that was mentioned in the menu card provided in the room which on complaining was blamed on the billing software of the computer. Overall I would not ever recommend this hotel to anyone instead of it's prime location in the heart of the city. One can compromise with travel but not with peace of mind and a sound sleep.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank yugankbansore

Reviewed 6 March 2013

Pathetic service and blame makemytrip for having it on their website. They misled me.... recommendation to anyone who is booking online do not go by makemytrip and ensure to check hotel reviews from trsvellers before you go booking your tickets from makemytrip

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 6 February 2013

The hotel is relatively clean.
The fittings have not been upgraded with time ... there are very few power outlets, the bathroom also seems older.
If you are willing to adjust still good value for money

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Sorry to say this... This Hotel doesn't deserve a review.
I would rate this hotel as one of the worst I had stayed ever in my life. The room charges are of 3 star hotel and service is worst than a lodge in Chennai.

No time to spend on reviewing this hotel. Terrible it is...

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Tobin T
Reviewed 17 January 2013

The only saving grace was that this was walking distance from the marina beach. Otherwise the experience was totally crappy.

At check in, the person at the counter wasn't friendly at all. Had to request twice that we wanted to have a look at the room first before checking in. We went upstairs and the room was quite old. There were water leak stains on the ceiling, there were rust marks on some of the fixtures and the room smelled stale. The corridor was dark and musty as well. We asked him to show us a few other rooms and the others looked worse. Since it was late, we decided to stay. The view in the room we stayed wasn't great either.

There were no toiletries in the toilet. The electric kettle in the room had stains in it and was unclean. The bottles of water in the room weren't sealed so we went out and got some.

However the walk to the beach was just 5 minutes and so we stayed overnight and visited it early in the morning.

Considering that we had just come from an excellent stay at kodaikanal, it was extremely disappointing and a bad way to end the trip.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip
Reviewed 11 January 2013

The staff is highly inefficient and can understand only Tamil. Restaurant is a nightmare with a limited menu. Bar charges are those of 3 star hotel. Only plus point is the location because it is close to Marina beach. But incompetent and careless staff has turned this place into a very ordinary hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 December 2012

The only reason to book this hotel is to be able to walk back to your room from Marina Beach - a distinct advantage when you don't fancy an auto or bus ride in wet clothes, but probably not worth the price - especially as there are guest houses (and this "hotel" is in fact worse than most guest houses) in trendier locations (Whites Road, etc.) for two thirds of this hotel's tariff. There are so many ways in which this hotel fails at hospitality, I'll just list them:

1. When booking by web or email, no confirmation of the amount to be paid, and no warning that service tax is not included in the stated tariff.

2. A tired room, scuffed walls, scraped furniture, torn bedsheets.

3. Refrigerator that doubles as mini-bar is unplugged and when its door is opened a cockroach scurries out.

4. No ceiling fan (only AC) and no All-Out repellant: mosquitoes will feast on you every night!

5. The de facto smoking area is at the top of the open staircase, UNDER THE "NO SMOKING" SIGN, outside the top-floor 'Brooklyn Bar.' The smoke blows down the staircase and can be smelt on every landing. When I complained that people were smoking next to the 'no smoking' sign, the desk staff responded "Yes, smoking next" then ignored me.

6. Late at night, drunkards trying to find their way down from the top-floor bar, or perhaps trying to loot rooms of their contents, will randomly try turn doorknobs.

7. In the restaurant, where the television is blaring, every time I ask "I would like to sit AWAY FROM the television" I am moved progressively closer and closer to the television.

8. In the restaurant when I ask for a diet coke I am told to go and buy it in the market.

9. The so-called "travel desk" is a joke. I try to have my onward air ticket printed, nobody at the hotel can sort out how to make their own printer work, and after much wasted time I am told to go to the Internet shop down the road.

Never stay here, unless proximity to the beach is enough for you to tolerate a dirty, careless establishment infested with mosquitos, cockroaches and alcoholics. And in any case, if the beach is what you're after, Elliot's beach just a twenty-minute auto ride away in Besant Nagar is much nicer than Marina Beach.

Room Tip: If you can't avoid staying here, then at least try to get a sea-facing room where you'll hav...