“Worth to stay”
Review of Manhattan Hotel

Manhattan Hotel
Manhattan Hotel
Ranked #287 of 397 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Chennai (Madras), India
“Worth to stay”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Last Week we stayed in Hotel Manhatan , its really a worth to stay. they have very nice rooms with all the amnesties, and its walk able distance from hotel to the World Second's Largest Marina Beach. All the very staff very courteous. Food was good , really we enjoyed it in the see view room.

Room Tip: Very good see view Rooms
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Vinod304556

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Québec
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We were in Chennay for two nights and spent the first one in the Manhattan Hotel (I am still wondering why we stayed so long). The location is good, not far from the beach, and we talked to a friendly person at the desk. Also "positive" is that the air conditionning was not working and therefore they offered us a discount.
Except those points, we were really disappointed. There was a terrible smell in the hotel, the room was not clean. We went for a drink on the rooftop terrasse and were told that we could not have a soft drink because it's a bar, therefore we had to drink alcohol.The breakfast was in the restaurant next door and a guy at the table next to us had some parts of the ceiling falling into his plate. We turned it positive and laughed a lot but could definitely not recommand this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank je-donne-mon-avis

Travellers are raving about these Chennai (Madras) hotels

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 29 May 2013

IF you want to visit the marina beach, then this is a good hotel to stay. It is about 5 minutes walking distance from the gandhi statue on the sea shore nad the sea (water) can be reached after 10 mins walking on the beach sand. The hotel has a decent buffet breakfast. Ask the waiter if you want more food. Rooms in the top floors are best for sea-views. The ac doesnt have much of control.

Room Tip: Take the rooms on the upper floors, it is best for views of the sea
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Vijay_MV
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 16 March 2013

My wife and I arrived at night in Chennai needing a hotel room. We selected the Marina Beach area believing it was close to the beach with a better selection of hotels. We checked into the Manhattan Hotel and found an ostensively acceptable room on 4th floor. After settling in we found the bathroom in sad shape with a bare lightbulb hanging against the wall over the sink. The wall over the sink had recent plaster patches and the worker must of cleaned his hands in the sink leaving wet plaster to dry on the faucet handles and basin. The bed sheets when pulled back revealed stains and a perfect boot print. We called reception and requested new sheets; replacement sheets were just as disgusting as originals. We requested a new room. Staff showed us two alternative rooms which were just as disgusting. One had recent repairs with muddy shoe prints all over the room. Finally, the fourth room was the better of the lot with slightly stained sheets and we spent the night. Early the next morning, we checked out and explained to the front desk that their rooms were unfit for paying guests. They were totally apathetic and offered that housekeping did not come in the previous day.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nitroz
Indore, India
Reviewed 11 March 2013

It was my mistake that I did not chck the reviews about this hotel before leaving for chennai. I stayed there as it was closest to the venue I had to visit for a meeting, but next time I would prefer to travel an hour or two rather than staying at this place. When I arrived I was amazed to see that there was no reception staff nor there was the manager of the hotel. The bellboy helped me check in and handled the transactions. Next on reaching the allotted room I found the central air cooler not working properly(mind you there is no A/C in any room) and on reporting this to reception they sent the maintenance worker and he uninstalled the components and started cleaning the filter as I sat there waiting to have my room to myself. Later they shifted me twice to two different rooms. Next there was no cable connection for televisions and the manager repeatedly assured me to set the TV working in sometime but could not do it till I checked out after 24Hrs. The walls had terrible seepage. As I ordered for room service they billed every item at approximately double the price that was mentioned in the menu card provided in the room which on complaining was blamed on the billing software of the computer. Overall I would not ever recommend this hotel to anyone instead of it's prime location in the heart of the city. One can compromise with travel but not with peace of mind and a sound sleep.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank yugankbansore
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Pathetic service and blame makemytrip for having it on their website. They misled me.... recommendation to anyone who is booking online do not go by makemytrip and ensure to check hotel reviews from trsvellers before you go booking your tickets from makemytrip

• Stayed March 2013
Hyderabad Ap
Reviewed 6 February 2013

The hotel is relatively clean.
The fittings have not been upgraded with time ... there are very few power outlets, the bathroom also seems older.
If you are willing to adjust still good value for money

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip