“Good for business stay”

Lemon Tree Hotel, Chennai
Ranked #18 of 415 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed 6 December 2009

Perfect boutique hotel by Western standards. Delicious breakfast bar. I traveled in India on my own after working and would not have paid so much (US$120) on my own, but it was a nice treat in Chennai.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
MohinderS, General Manager at Lemon Tree Hotel, Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the fabulous comments about your stay at Lemon Tree Hotels. We are proud that we could rejuvenate you every day and that our team made your stay so memorable.

We plan well to add a twist to your stay… every time. Come back soon to Lemon Tree Hotels and be embraced by our signature lemon fragrance, a cheery smile and perhaps a vibrant ambience.

Lemon Tree Hotel, Chennai

Write a ReviewReviews (1,458)

Reviewed 6 December 2009

I have been fortunate enough to travel internationally on a number of occaisions (well over 50 trips). This was my first trip to India. I thought okay, another international trip staying at a typical hotel. I was wrong. The staff at The Lemon Tree Chennai Hotel really caught me off guard. They are the most friendly and accommodating staff I have encountered. I have stayed at very elaborate hotels and the staff at The Lemon Tree ranks with the best of them.

The staff is extremely friendly as well as professional. It is a small hotel compared to many others. The restaurant staff put me at ease very quickly . They were more than happy to help me with the ordering of Indian food. We started out slowly (with the spices) and worked our way up. They were sincerely glad to see me when I walked into the restaurant and would make sure I was okay if I didn't appear when expected. The food was also very good. The service and wait staff made the food even more enjoyable.

I also used the services of their auto staff on a daily basis. They were outstanding as well. They were always prompt, friendly and made me feel very comfortable. It was amazing how they managed to traverse the traffic in Chennai with ease. If you have been to Chennai, you are aware of how intimidating the traffic is. I also took advantage of a tour service made available by the Lemon Tree Hotel. Again the driver was outstanding. It was avery enjoyable afternoon. I would highly recommend a trip to at least Marina Beach. Good place to relax and enjoy the sights and sounds.

In closing, I would like to say I was very pleasantly surprised by The Lemon Tree Chennai hotel and staff. As I approached and saw the hotel was small by most standards, I wasn't sure what to expect. The Hotel and staff far exceeded my expectations. What a great group!!!!! The rooms have modern conveniences,are very clean and comfortable. The food and restaurant staff was well above my expectations. The hotel staff was also absolutely great. As I think back about my six weeks in Chennai, I can honestly say the Lemon Tree Hotel and especially the staff played a major role in making my first trip to India a very pleasant and memorable time.

I highly recommend the Lemon Tree Chennai hotel to anyone visiting Chennai, India. I hope eveyone's stay in Chennai is as enjoyable as mine was. Also, keep in mind, I live in Las Vegas, NV. Las Vegas is built on the service industry, the staff at the Lemon Tree Chennai ranks right up there in the service arena. They may not have the glitter and lights of Vegas, but they certainly have the service aspect mastered.

Thank you everyone at The Lemon Tree Chennai Hotel!!!!!
You are the BEST!!!!!!
You will not be forgotten!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 December 2009

This hotel was excellent for a business stay . Rooms are quite nce , spacious and comfortable . you have all the aminities at a very reasonable price

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed 2 December 2009

One thing i definatley tells you about this "The hotel is magnificent" and the thing we have experienced such incredible service before. It was so lovely that it was hard to took step out of Hotel ourselves to see rest of Rajasthan. In fact we didn't bother to came out and to have fun together.

Stayed: December 2009
1  Thank mechdee

Reviewed 2 December 2009

Lemon tree is a neat and clean which takes care of its guests needs very well. hotel staff is courteous and very well. they are prompt in the service and at the same dont bother you too much.
I particularly liked its amazing breakfast.. highly recommended.. !

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed 24 November 2009

I stayed here for 2 weeks on business. Breakfast bar was good. Roughly equal mix between western and indian breakfast foods and also an omelette chef to make custom omelettes. Dinners were also good, although the western food wasn't quite as good as at home. Waiters were very friendly ("Will you be having the prawns again tonight?") but service was slow. I was pleased with the waiter's recommendations the two times I asked for advice. Dinner also has an Indian all you can eat which was quite good.

My room was on the top (9th) floor facing west. Housekeeping kept things spotless. I could tell the shower was cleaned every day. Bathroom was a decent size for one person and the shower was nicely finished and fairly large. Linens and towels are only changed on request. The bed was *very* comfortable. Furnishings all were like new and modern style. AC was effective although (like most non-US hotels), room key goes in wall slot by the door to turn on the AC and lights. Because I'm not use to this, more than once I locked myself out of the room and it did take a few minutes for the room to cool down when I returned in the evening. The hotel WiFi was decent bandwidth, but overpriced. Luckily, the company provided me with a broadband modem, so I only needed to pay for the first two days. Laundry service was reasonably priced for a business-class hotel. Lobby is fairly small, but efficient. Rooms were a little on the small side, but worked fine. Can't comment on pool, lounge or workout room as I didn't try any of these. Bottled water was provided gratis.

The service was uniformly excellent. The GM was through the lobby and restaurant on a regular basis and was always very accomodating (when I was waiting for my car, asking if I wanted coffee, etc.).

The only negatives were an unpleasant smell in the hallway outside my room, the fact that I could hear my neighbor on one side fairly clearly (I noticed it mostly around the desk, so I think the electrical conduits might not be properly insulated or finished) and the front desk staff were not uniformly good (some were excellent, some seemed to just be doing a job). Checkin (a little after midnight) was quick, checkout was a little time consuming, but I think that's because the billing system spit out four pages worth of itemized bill (with each individual item (such as one night hotel stay) listing several taxes and fees). I was also having a problem with the blackout curtains sticking in the track when I tried to open and close them.

The hotel is on a busy street but I didn't notice any significant noise in the room (and managed to see some great lightning shows as I was there just at the beginning of monsoon). Except for local universities and parks that offered fairly pleasant walks (once you get across the street...no sidewalk on the hotel side), there didn't seem to be any amenities within a short walk of the hotel. As others have noted, the hotel is fairly close to the airport and is probably the closest reliably good hotel that isn't terribly expensive.

As for value, I really can't comment as I didn't book the room and even though I know how much the room cost, I have no idea how that compares to the market in general.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
MohinderS, General Manager at Lemon Tree Hotel, Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2011

Reviewed 9 November 2009

This hotel is about 15-30min from the airport and another 30 minutes from the city centre.
Rooms are nice but rather small for the price (5.300 Rp/night).
Restaurant and breakfast are fine, everything a bit small and AC rather cool.
No windows to open in the rooms. Pool is small and right next to one of the busiest roads in Chennai.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business