“Nice place but arrogant,pathetic staff”
Review of Raj Palace Sundar

Raj Palace Sundar
Ranked #34 of 437 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed here for a night.Good location,nice clean rooms and Swimming pool is also well maintained.And the Restaurant also has a nice ambience.So overall,the place is pretty good and good value for money in that respect.
Now coming to the staff here,I strongly suggest the hotel management to hire better staff else they ll run out of business very soon.
Some of the instances to illustrate this:
INSTANCE 1 - When we first went into the restaurant,I observed that the plates were not clean.There were some rice grains.When I told the same to the person there, he was annoyed and asked us to move to another table.
INSTANCE 2 - My husband and my BIL were using the swimming pool and they asked the guy there for towels and he got it after a long time. It looked as though somebody had forced him to sit there even though he desperately wanted to go elsewhere
INSTANCE 3 and the WORST: During checkout,the lady there, so called receptionist,treated us with utter disrespect n arrogance.Since there was a card in the room saying ask for 15% discount on food, we asked her.As if we were asking for a great sacrifice from her,She started yelling saying how can we give discount for everything!!!! God knows wat she meant.She spoke as if she was paying for our rooms!
I dint lose my patience at this.But once we were done clearing our bills.We were about to leave.We kind of forgot that the other room's bills had to be cleared(room rent was already paid online.These were only extras). She called us as if we were criminals!!!! The tone was such. The words she used.,."Hello room no 111,come here.You havent cleared the bills no??" We remembered then.We said "Oh yeah".She was like "Then? Come".I completely lost my temper and started shouting at her.Then she said sorry n all.But her attitude was horrible.Beware of such ppl here.
Seeing the place,we wanted to stay here the next time we were in Chennai. But after this episode, a strict no no unless the management hires new,decent staff who have some sense of hospitality!

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Ramya_Madhu
GMRPS, General Manager at Raj Palace Sundar, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for the valuable feedback. We deeply regret and apologise for the inconveniences caused. We have viewed your feedback seriously and taken stringent action on the concerned staff.
We kindly request you to give us another opportunity to be of service to you and strive to serve to your entire satisfaction.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Otherwise one will not prefer this place. Front office is not as you ever expect. Restaurant is ok as well food. You need to insist for discount. Ask for pool facing room other side is noisy. Never opt for room near reception. There are lobby in each floor people smoke and talk loudly here.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Madhu T
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Fantastic value for money. Best part is that the profits from the hotel are actually used to fund a free medical clinic (I figured this out when the Auto-rickshaw told me that he has used their services, but I might be wrong).

My wife and I have stayed at this delightful little hotel several times, only once did we encounter a noisy wedding party. Check-in is a breeze, although initially the hotel kept bothering my wife and I for a wedding certificate (my wife still uses her maiden name). But, my wife and I gave them an earful and made them take a photocopy of our marriage certificate once, this odd request has stopped now. One negative part is that explaining an order to room service can be challenging at times, on one memorable occasion I had to repeat a very simple dinner order to three different people on the same call.

The swimming pool is small but quite refreshing, although one does occasionally have to appear in front of wedding parties in ones swimming trunks.

The place is extremely clean, neat, tidy, good rooms, with decent view, excellent accessibility to the south and South east of Chennai. Very good restaurant, good food with decent quantities, decent breakfast spread. Pleasant, if a trifle noisy (due to traffic), surroundings. Only other bug-bear is that there are extremely limited TV channels other than in South Indian languages.

Despite all these trifling points, my wife and I like the place so much, I am giving it 5 stars. We must have stayed there at least 6-8 times over the last 1 year or so.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AG_India
Reviewed 15 November 2013

This hotel is close to Adayar. Near Malar hospital. Break fast spread is reasonable. Durga restraunt gives a old charm. Food quality is good. Not crowded. Reasonably priced mid range hotel. Overall we had a comfortable stay.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Stayed in the hotel during my official trip to chennai. The hotel is very clean and the staff very cooperative. The breakfast is complimentary and they served one of the best breakfast for a long time although they could have provided more options as the dishes they serve are repitative. The pool is somewhat small. The hotel gives a feeling of old heritage touch. once you are in the hotel you only have to depend on the hotel restaurant as there is no nice hotel nearby. The location is excellent. will definately stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The Hotel was big letdown. It is no ways a 3 Star hotel. The rooms are small and resemble a guest house at best. It is a budget Business traveller's hotel at best. The breakfast is also just about OK and nothing to write home about. It looks like a old hotel which survives by being economical.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Stayed in this hotel during my business trip to Chennai.The rooms are small.The rooms do not have amenities like electric kettle etc. Though the hotel is few years old but looks like very old.The spread of the breakfast buffet was below average. The hotel is not a value for money preposition.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business