“Poor service”

Hyatt Regency Chennai
Ranked #31 of 388 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Bengaluru, India
“Poor service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Too many staff in the front office. Most of them not trained properly. Often the senior front office executives or lobby managers are always busy talking among themselves. Extremely laid back in service. If there is a marriage function or any banquet function, getting in and out of this hotel is a mess. Food is average. Drinks are very expensive. The only advantage of this hotel is its location. Else this is an over-rated, poorly run hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for any room that has proper directions to it. I stayed in 428 and it was not easy for me to loc...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Shubham365, Director of Sales & Marketing at Hyatt Regency Chennai, responded to this review, 29 November 2013

Greetings from Hyatt Regency Chennai.

Thank you for taking out time and letting us and the TripAdvisor community know of your experience at the Hyatt Regency Chennai.

We are extremely concerned on your feedback and assure you that we have taken this positively with an intent to correct our processes. We apologize for the inconvenience. We have taken some steps post your feedback and our leadership group is committed to get them in place.

We look forward to welcome you back soon. Kindly do let me know for any assistance you may seek from us.

shubham.chandra@hyatt.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chennai (Madras), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

I'm live in Chennai and after a couple of months of stressful work/life routine, I decided to take a break and stay at Hyatt for the weekend - checked in on Saturday and out on Sunday. I chose Hyatt among other premium hotels in and around Chennai because my friends and I had a wonderful luxurious stay in May of 2012. It was fabulous then.

Sadly, this time I was utterly disappointed.

The Bad:
1) The elevators had really bad smell - STP smell or pesticide or chemicals combined with room freshner- not sure, but it was bad!

2) The first room that we were provided had an awful musty, mildew stench. It was not pleasant. Furniture and floors were dusty. Being an eco-friendly hotel, I am assuming water treatment plants are used to process water and the stench could be a result of that. We requested for a room change.

3) We checked with the staff if beverages would be served at the pool area and they said yes and that a staff would be sent right away for us to place the order. We waited for over half an hour and no one turned up. We had to wave and catch the eye of one of the staff serving another customer. We placed out order for beverage and after waiting for another half hour to 40 minutes, we had to send the pool attender to remind the kitchen. After that it took another 15 minutes for us to finally get our beverage. By then we were sort of irritated.

4) We went back to our room and found a note that a platter of assorted fruits would be sent to our room if we call. Well, we called and waited for an hour. After a reminder call, staff turns up with a plate and 3 whole unwashed apples with dirt sticking on it (not an exaggeration) and no cutlery. We had to call them again and after explaining our disappointment, another platter was sent with an assortment of fruits and cutlery. Also, we were informed that a discount on one of our meals would be provided for the inconvenience caused, however, it was embarrassing to remind them to actually deliver that promise at the time of check out.

5) Unfortunately the tables we sat at Stix and Spice route were wobbly. I don't know about others but I find a wobbly table extremely annoying :)

Now, why I am disappointed is that I would not expect such a negative service from Hyatt Brand. When I think of Hyatt, I think of quality in terms of service and ambience. It is expected to be impeccable. Also, as a customer, when I am investing my hard earned money, I expect return for every penny of it - especially from a premium hotel that promises that.

The Good:
1) Staff are friendly and polite.
2) Reservation process over the phone was easy
3) The quality of mattress used is excellent.
4) Room layout is good.
5) We requested for a pool side view and out request was acknowledged.
6) Food at Stix, Focaccia and Spice route is good.

Overall, an average stay this time - NOTHING like the stay the previous year when my friends and I stayed over for my sisters birthday back in May 2012. What happened Hyatt? :(

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Greetings from Hyatt Regency Chennai.

We are extremely sorry to hear about your experience and would like to apologize for the inconvenience, we have shared the feedback with our core team and while I write to you work is in progress to improve ourselves. We really thank you for the detailed feedback.
At the same note we are happy that you liked our staff members, reservations process, food and beverage at Focaccia and Stix.

We request you to treat this in isolation and give us another chance to showcase true Hyatt hospitality.

Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

I recently stayed in this hotel for 3 days , had an amazing experience of great hospitality with fantabolous customized food. It's an ecofriendly hotel , the ambience of the living room is so powerful that it gives u an immense pleasure of a comfortable stay.Located in the midst of the city close by to all the shopping malls of the city. Thumbs up

Room Tip: Choose a Swimming pool facing room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Greetings from Hyatt Regency Chennai.

We are delighted to know that you liked our hotel specially rooms, food and beverage options, location and service.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

When you are staying in a hotel for 3 nights, like me, what matters is the Service and the rooms. The rooms here are most comfortable and the housekeeping service quick. The spa is excellent and vfm. My massage therapist was one of the best I have encountered. The buffet meals at the coffee shop offer a vast variety. My only grouse is that they need to offer more variety here. By my 3rd meal (out of 5) the repetitive menu had started making me rather uninterested in the food. Would recommend the chaats here tough. I ll definitely go back here.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business

Greetings from Hyatt Regency Chennai.

We are delighted to know that you liked our hotel specially, rooms, housekeeping,food, SPA and our staff members. We have made a note of your feedback on menu recycling and please be rest assured this would be looked into immediately.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

I stayed in this hotel for almost a week and had the opportunity to look at most of the hotel areas.
Lets come to point right away-
Location- apprx 45 min from the airport, hence not bad! I personally dont like hotels too close to the airport as this robs me of opportunity to see the city on a short trip.
Metro ( under ground tube) work is going on right outside the hotel, so one can face an occasional traffic snarl while getting in or going out of the hotel. But the hotel traffic wardens make things easy for you.
Surroundings- well there is not much to do around. There is a small mall next door and one can buy few things for use during a long stay ( i stayed for a week and needed a few things).
Rooms: Stayed on 2nd floor (# 204) and found the room quite spacious.Bed size is good. Bathrooms are well stocked with good quality toiletries. Quality of linen is excellent . Rooms are fairly quite and one can surely relax and rest.
My room had a iron and iron board and i found it quite useful as i had to iron out most of my shirts .
Room internet: There is wi fi in the rooms and common areas but i found that the rates very high.
SPA and Gym: They have good spa and gym on 1st floor. I used gym almost daily and I found the quality of equipment good. Instructors were available till 11 in the night. This is a 24 hr gym- but there is a catch. After 11, they shut the gym but in case you want to use it, the reception will open it for you. You can workout on your own. Not bad.
Food- There are three restaurants ( incl a Chinese one). I found the Chinese one very good.
Quality of food in general is good.
Drinks- Surprisingly, there were hardly any brands of beer on offer. The list available is very very limited. I wanted to have Fosters but it was available. One of my friends wanted to order Johnie Walker- black label- though it was on the menu card but not available! Bad for a five star!
We used the business center for all seven days ( in fact we had a conference room booked).
Business center rooms are too small and the staff available is generally unresponsive to your needs. We ordered jasmine tea- it was offered on day one and from day 2 we were told that they dont have it!. Tea served in almost luke warm and we could not get hot tea in spite of repeated requests.
On one occasion, Just behind the conference room we could hear pneumatic hammer being used. The noise was so much that one could not work in the conference room. Naturally we requested them to take care of the noise, we were simply told that this noise is because of digging work being carried out by the local municipality and hotel cant do much. Believing this, we cut short our meeting for the day. However next day we found that the conference room is located at a fair distance from the place were tube work is going on, instead it was hotels own contractor who was working to fix some thing!
I have never seen such apathy at any of the other business centers I have visited. Very poor in service and professionalism!
However, I did find pockets of excellence in few areas. The ladies at the reception, in the restaurant are very nice and helpful- make you feel special.
To sum up- over all a good hotel but for the business center.

Room Tip: Rooms on upper floors have an excellent view of the city
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Shubham365, Director of Sales & Marketing at Hyatt Regency Chennai, responded to this review, 1 November 2013

Greetings from Hyatt Regency Chennai.

Thank you for your detailed review of our hotel, location and services. We are extremely thankful that you took time out and shared the same with us and the community.

We humbly apologize for your impression on our Business Centre and surely would share this feedback with our concerned group to colleagues to improve upon our deliverables.

We are glad that you liked our rooms, quality of linen, layout and sense of space. Hotel does provide variety in cuisine offering and thank you for liking our Chinese restaurant Stix. Our fitness centre is one of the largest in the city and vey rightly observed, it is open 24 hours.

We look forward to welcome you back and I would be extremely happy to meet you as well, kindly do let me know for any assistance you may seek from us and feel free to write to me at shubham.chandra@hyatt.com.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

Reaching to the hotel from the airport may me a gerat challenge, with the heavy traffic and all. Somehow reached there safe. The sexurity was good, cars checked, bags and everything. Felf safe there. Reception was fast, good hospitality. The room was facing the pool, its quite boring because nobody went there for swimming. There is a mall on the right side od the hotel, Ramee Mall. 3-storey building with 50% occupancy. Got myself some pashminas ot level 2. There are other shop lots near the hotel, but you need to walk a bit. Crossing the road might be a challenge to you guys. Easiest way is to cross along with a local. Sleep was good, hotel amenitties was good. Overall experience was very good.

Room Tip: Request for room which is not facing the road. Cars honking at nights may wake u up.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Shubham365, DIrector of Sales & Marketing at Hyatt Regency Chennai, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear Guest

Greetings from Hyatt Regency a Chennai.

Thank you for taking out time and sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community.

We are glad to know that you liked our product , room, food and other services.

We look forward to welcome you back and if we may be of any assistance , please do lt me know at shubham.chandra@hyatt.com

Navi Mumbai, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

Great Hotel, one of the best at chennai. I had a conference there and they can manage all kind of in house conferences. we have blocked some 250 rooms and overall all Drs were very satisfied. Food quality was also very good.

Room Tip: Front facing rooms are better
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Upendramp
Shubham365, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chennai, responded to this review, 7 October 2013

Greetings from Hyatt Regency Chennai

At the outset, please accept our heartfelt gratitude for your kind feedback. Its our constant endeavor to make a difference during each stay for our valuable guests and happy guests only add to our delight and motivation.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards,