“Trip of a lifetime”

Hyatt Regency Chennai
Ranked #26 of 403 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed 2 April 2014

The Hotel is just Wow. Such a nice hospitality, and amazing cleanness, nice rooms, location, reasonable, it was a trip of a lifetime.
Sea view rooms makes the day more sound with a healthy start.
I will definitely recommend this to everyone.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
ShubhamChandra, Director - Sales & Marketing at Hyatt Regency Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Greetings from Hyatt Regency Chennai

Thank you for your kind feedback. We are delighted to read about your memorable stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon. thank you

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Apart from the soaring height and the seemingly elegant view of the hotel, the guests might be taken aback a little when one steps into the rooms to spend what earlier might've seemed cozy in their heads. A lack of general pro-activeness in the service prevailed throughout the stay. Not a very convincingly neat room for a 5-star hotel in the middle of the city. While every other hotel offers free wifi and what not these days, Hyatt conveniently denies the former. (We live in the 21st century, and free wifi is as almost a mandatory requirement. Blame the period!)

I would certainly not think of spending one more night there. Perhaps, a drink? Maybe after second thoughts.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Greetings from Hyatt Regency Chennai

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. It is very unfortunate to hear about your unpleasant experience as at Hyatt Regency Chennai our constant endeavor is to delight our guests during each visit. We shall immediately look into the issue and assure you of a pleasant stay with us during your next visit. With regards to wifi, we are happy to inform that we do have wifi, laundry and airport transfers alongwith club lounge access as inclusions for several room categories and we would recommend you book for one of these categories as available on hyatt.com for your next stay as it shall be more suitable to your requirements. We remain at your disposal to ensure your next stay with us is a memorable one. thank you once again.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I had stayed at this hotel from 24th December to 29th December and at the time of check in, it is always customary for the hotel to charge a deposit, which I am aware is a standard procedure for any hotel. However, when I returned back to Malaysia, I notice the deposit charge to my card has not been released by the hotel. I followed this up with various personnel from the hotel and even lodged a formal complaint on the Hyatt website, as I am a member of Hyatt Goldpassport. Everyone promised to look into it, but until now, March 30th, 2014, I have not been refunded for this INR6,000 charged to my card.
The amount may be small when converted back to Malaysian Ringgit, but it speaks volumes of the type of people and management running the show at Hyatt Regency Chennai. Someone has been very dishonest and has swindled this sum, and the hotel is just keeping quiet about it.
People in India sometimes think if a customer stops complaining after some time, the issue is forgotten, but I would like everyone to know that this hotel cheats you of your money and you got to be extremely careful when giving these cheats of Chennai a deposit!
Certainly the worst lowest class Hyatt hotel in the Hyatt Group. Never ever stay and lose your money and patience in this place!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Greetings from Hyatt Regency Chennai

At the outset, we regret the inconvenience caused to you with regards to the issue. We assure you that we are working on it with the concerned bank and will have the same resolved at the earliest. At Hyatt Regency Chennai, guest satisfaction and delight are our key priority and we assure you of all your support to get this issue resolved at the earliest. We look forward to welcoming you again for a memorable stay soon. We remain at your disposal for any assistance. thank you

Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed at Hotel Hyatt regency chennai for 2 nights in March. After having stayed in variaous hotels in chennai over the last few years, I must say that the Hyatt was by far the best choice that I have made.When we arrived we were greeted professionally and courteously at reception . We were slightly earlier than the check in time and as our room was not ready as yet, he gave us an upgrade free of charge rather than wait until room became available!. The room itself was large and spacious and was also tastefully decorated. . On Trip Advisor I often see complaints about breakfast in hotels. After having stayed in many hotels all over other hotels , I have to say that the breakfast in the spice was excellent, Fresh toast was offered (along with coffee etc) upon arrival in the breakfast area which I have never been offered before! There was also a great selection of the "normal" breakfast items to choose from, with scrambled eggs being an added bonus!(did'nt get the guys name but little dark) . On checking out ,there was no fuss and receptionist called a taxi for us.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
ShubhamChandra, Director - Sales & Marketing at Hyatt Regency Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Greetings from Hyatt Regency Chennai

At the outset, thank you for sharing your valuable feedback. we are delighted to hear about your perfect stay and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Thank you for your thoughtful appreciation which we shall convey to the team of chefs too. Thank you once again.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Had a great stay here. One thing that disappointed me was that the room rates are very expensive but doesn't include free wifi. So you pay for wifi. For a 5 star it should be included i think. Snack bar on 9th floor was very good. Not much of a selection on drinks though. Tamojit and Varun are super friendly.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Greetings from Hyatt Regency Chennai

Many thanks for your appreciation and valuable feedback. We are pleased to share with you that we have the best rate guarantee on hyatt.com and would recommend you to book there for your next stay. we also have special wi fi inclusive packages that we would be more than happy to offer during your next stay. Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Chennai isn't a "beautiful" city. But that doesn't mean your experience in the city shouldn't be beautiful. Make your way to the Hyatt Regency. While a spectacular lobby can be deceiving, i'm happy to inform you dear reader, that this isn't a case like that. Great service, it's close to a mall in case of emergency shopping, spectacular breakfast spread, and a very relax-friendly pool. The bar isn't all that though. I heard from a very reliable source that the Spa is fabulous. Going to that floor is worth it just for the wall art. The rooms are small, but the uniqueness of the bathroom more than makes up for it. Perfect if your staying a couple of days and no more.

Room Tip: Make sure your neighbours are NOT a newly married couple!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Greetings from Hyatt Regency Chennai

Thank you for your kind feedback for our hotel. we are delighted to read about your pleasant stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. we would be more than happy to assist you for anything to make your stay more delightful. thank you

Reviewed 24 March 2014

February 26th 2014 to February 27th 2014

Room No. 605

I recently had a business trip to Chennai and being true to my loyalty programme I stayed at the Hyatt Regency at Chennai.

My check in process was fine as usual, though I do find that fact that that you need to change lifts to get to the reception rather irritating. (the property has the Ramee mall at the ground floor and so you have to take a lift to the the 1st floor and then go to reception, from where you take another lift up to the room you have been put in.

I was put up in room no 605. The rooms at the Hyatt Regency Chennai I thought were really classy when I first used them (had also written about them on Trip advisor early on).

But that was then! This time I saw the maintenance to be quite shoddy. The switches were loose. One lamp had no bulb in it. The telephone would not connect to housekeeping for some strange reason and the complementary internet refused to work the next day. Even their technician could not figure out why. And overall upkeep was pretty poor. Having said that other things were pretty ok.

But it was the service that I found most appalling! I ordered for a steak and steamed vegetables along with it (room service). The total bill was around Rs. 2,500/- (for one lousy meal!) and even after having specifically asked whether the portions were good I discovered that I was still hungry. I had also asked for a room temperature diet coke which never came and so I had to take one from the mini bar (regular one that too) and wait for it to ‘warm up’ before I could have it.

The next day at the breakfast buffet it was the same. I generally love the Norwegian salmon they serve at the breakfast buffet (best at the Hyatt Regency, Pune). But here I had to specifically ask for it. It was quite irritating as the poached egg whites I usually have with it came first; and I found myself waiting for the salmon that goes so well with it. Finally I gave up and had just the eggs. I next asked for a masala dosa, which arrived pretty quickly (I guess because it was Chennai!). finally while I was having my coffee what do I see! A gentleman in a waiter’s uniform scurrying towards me with a bowl of .. smoked salmon. Have never done it before but had my salmon with coffee.

So overall in terms of service and maintenance, I would think the Hyatt Regency Chennai has fallen a bit from the initial days that I had visited it. Maybe the next time I shall try the ITC Chola instead, loyalty points be damned!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Greetings from Hyatt Regency Chennai

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback . It is really unfortunate that your stay with us was not a delightful one owing to several inconvenience. We assure you that this was a rather unfortunate occurrence and at Hyatt , our sole endeavor is to offer authentic hospitality and exceed the expectations of our guests at all times. we look forward to welcoming you again soon to experience the signature Hyatt hospitality that you have experienced in your earlier stays.

We would be more than happy to be of any further assistance to facilitate your next stay with us.