“Umm..”

ITC Grand Chola, Chennai
Ranked #2 of 436 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed 13 June 2014

The hotel is grandiose on the outside and opulent from the inside. Without doubt, one of the best properties I've stayed in. The responsiveness of the staff, their keenness to assist, their willingness to go that extra mile to make the stay a memorable impressed me the most.

We close this hotel for our honeymoon and intimated the staff beforehand. The check in was smooth and there were atleast 4 people who wished us by the time we were checked in. The check in was both smooth and fast. The bath tub was decorated with rose petals and there was a bottle of Champagne and (the most sinful) chocolate cake waiting in the room for us.

So far, wow. So lot of the good things I read about the hotel on Tripadvisor was indeed true.

And then I came across two faults that shocked me. I wouldn't have expected such colossal quality issues from even a 3 or 4 star hotel, let alone, a flagship 5 star one.

1. First was during breakfast at one of the hotel's restaurants (Madras Pavilion), we reached out for the bowl of butter and there was a dead fly inside it!

2. The shower (and the shower head) had hair in it!!

A third point (not a biggie), was that, the iPad used to control the equipment inside the room did not respond to switching the TV off or switching it to Music only mode. It worked well for everything else.

So here I'm writing this review with mixed feelings and unsure of how to rate my stay. Basics of hygiene are faults that a hotel cannot get away with, regardless of how great everything else is.

The front desk and the manager was apologetic and seemed genuinely concerned about taking corrective action. I guess, time will tell.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ravitejk
Ranvir_Bhandari, General Manager at ITC Grand Chola, Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We sincerely regret to hear about your unpleasant experience at breakfast and in the room. We would like to assure you that this is certainly not what ITC Hotels stands for and necessary corrective measures have been initiated.

We hope you will allow us an opportunity to make it up you on your next visit and we look forward to welcoming you back to ITC Grand Chola soon.

Vice President South & General Manager ITC Grand Chola

Write a ReviewReviews (3,049)

Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

The property is simply superb. All levels and characteristics are simply awesome.
The rooms to the pool, food, service, party Hall, facilities, staff etc. Everything does great justice to the hospitality industry.
Would obviously love to stay at the property again

Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I traveled Chennai just with business scope, so I wanted to find a 5 star hotel in a location near my destinations. After some negotiations with Indian friends, I finally selected ITC Grand Chola and stayed at this palace-style hotel for 3 nights.

Location: It was near our business destinations; so it was in perfect location for our purpose! I don't know whether it is also close to historical and touristy areas or not...

Building: Huge building like a palace; simple but nice decoration; with different doors in different sides. I just imagined if this nice building had more green areas and gardens, then it becomes a unique hotel...

Lobby and Reception: Very nice and gorgeous decoration; with big lobby and enough areas for meetings and chats.

Room: I was in its typical room; but actually it did not have any shortage. It had convenient bed, big TV, and big toilet room with separate bathroom inside. The room also had integrated control system so you can easily monitor and set all facilities of the room by a tablet; you also can order your food or watch your bill via this tablet.

Staff: Generally Indian people are polite and warmly tempered; and I found the same behavior from hotel staff. They really behave compatible with a luxury 5 star hotel.

Facilities: I just took a look to its spa and also Indian massage booth; which has complete menu of different massages.

Restaurants and breakfast: This hotel has different restaurants for different tastes. I tested its open buffet. Indian, and Italian restaurants; all served tasty foods. Breakfast was also nice and with diversified items.

Conclusion: It is a good model for a gorgeous 5 star hotel in India; I endorse this hotel and if I return to Chennai, ITC Grand Chola is my priority for accommodation.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are delighted to learn that you had a pleasant stay with us and found the location to be convenient.

Thank you for your kind comments on the rooms, the restaurants and for the team at the hotel.

It was indeed a pleasure to have you with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to ITC Grand Chola again soon.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I attended a full day corporate get-together in this hotel last week (05 June 2014).

Everything about this hotel is grand - location, ambience, interior... The hotel is located within city limits.

The common areas are very specious and grandly decorated - this includes the rest rooms. The ballroom where we had the meeting was just GRAND.

The hotel provided great facilities Eg. audio-visuals for the meeting. We had great time overall.

Because it was a corporate get-together, we didn't get to see the rooms. I am sure the rooms are great too.

One negative point is about the food. In such a hotel I expected the food to be great, but it was average. May be it was due to the limited budget of the corporate plan for buffet - but I am sure they could have made it taste better for sure. The hotel has to look at this part very seriously.

With some improvement in food I would rate this hotel as a five star facility with all five stars.

Overall, enjoyed the experience of this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank RamsMurugan

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your valuable feedback and for your kind words of appreciation on the interiors and the ambience. However, we regret to hear that the cuisine did not match your expectations.

We hope you will allow us an opportunity to make it to you on your next visit and we look forward to welcoming you back to ITC Grand Chola again soon.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

This hotel is absolutely huge. It reminds me of the mega hotels in Vegas. This was my second visit to the ITC. The 1st was not good having been put in a smoking single room, when I booked a double non smoking. However, this complaint was noted and I was given 10K SPG points.....This time I arrived and was pleased to fine a "welcome back" cake in my room. The room itself was beautiful, with everything being controlled by the in room IPAD including the remote door opener and camera.

I will be back!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank spencermit
Ranvir_Bhandari, General Manager at ITC Grand Chola, Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are delighted by your kind words of appreciation on the room and the in-room iPad.

We look forward to your return and to the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

This hotel looks expensive but it is a bargain. Thick walls and well insulated windows turn it into a sanctuary in bustling Chennai. You can sleep like a baby. The room can be controlled entirely with the iPad provided and serbice is swift and good. Breakfast buffet nothing to compain it's all there Indian, European, other Asian foods.

Room Tip: Chose far from elevators and on upper floor if you like silence like me.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Martin_Widmer

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are delighted to learn that you had a pleasant stay with us and that our team was able to look after you well.

Thank you for your kind words off appreciation on the in-room iPad, the breakfast buffet and the cuisine served at our restaurants.

We hope you will choose to stay with us again on your next visit to Chennai and we look forward to welcoming you back to ITC Grand Chola again soon.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

absolutely fantastic hotel,,have stayed here twice and would definitely recommend it without any 2nd thought.

excellent service and one of the most helpful,attentive and courteous staff i have seen in any hotel.
and the care is genuine,not part of a SOP.
Food of course is the highlight in any ITC property and it doesn't disappoint you at all.Breakfast is very elaborate.

the only hitch is from the entrance to the hotel you have to go around the entire hotel to reach the lobby,i don't know if its temporary as you have guards at every corner standing the entire day and night directing your car.
if you have the budget,go for the tower rooms.the iPad to control almost every feature in the room is a fun thing.

2  Thank babsNagpur