“A haven of tranquility.”

Le Royal Meridien Chennai
Ranked #25 of 437 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Despite being in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the city of Chennai, Le Royal Meridien Hotel provides travellers with an oasis of tranquility and superior customer service. I use this hotel for my business trips to Chennai and find the rooms to be very well appointed: a very comfortable bed, couch & coffee table, desk, large flat screen TV with links to domestic and international channels, and a relatively large bathroom. The standard of cleanliness is excellent especially considering how hot and dusty the outside environment is.
The hotel is air conditioned throughout, with individual temperature control available in each bedroom. There are a range of restaurants in the hotel offering a varied choice of menus, all prepared to a very high standard.
The staff are all extremely polite and helpful, from the doorman who is genuinely pleased to greet you and welcome you back, to the restaurant staff who are attentive to your needs and happy to walk you through the menus on offer.
Wifi is available to be purchased. I found it a little slow and was unable to use it for a FaceTime conversation with my family via my iPad. Nevertheless I was able to send and receive emails and browse the web, albeit at a slower speed than I'm used to at home or work.
There is a swimming pool but I strongly advise Westerners to avoid using it as it is not chlorinated in the way that we are accustomed to in Europe and the US. Ensure as well that you take all of the normal precautions when travelling in India regarding only using sealed, bottled water for drinking and brushing your teeth.
All in all this is a great hotel and provides a great base for travellers to Chennai standing, as it does, only 15 minutes from the (soon to be opened new) international airport.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
TaraRhine, Public Relations Manager at Le Royal Meridien Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2012

Dear Mr. Simon,
Thank you for staying with us and giving us the pleasure to serve you.

Your pleasant review of our hotel is very encouraging and we would like to thank you for this positive feedback which we have distributed to the concerned associates as well as posted on our Notice Board so that all may benefit from these comments. It is indeed rewarding to receive feedback from our very special and elite customers who take the time to convey their thanks and observations to us; they certainly are very motivational and drive the passion in us to not only maintain our services but constantly improve and strive to excel in all we do.

We have taken into account your comments on the WiFi service and are pleased to advise that we are in the process of upgrading our bandwidth with our service provider. As a result of receiving your comments regarding the swimming-pool an immediate check was conducted in regard to the chlorine levels and we would like to assure you that the swimming-pool, wading pool and whirlpool is maintained according to the APSP standards and evaluated and certified annually through our appointed consultants of APSP.

We take great pride in the Le Meridien brand and maintaining its standard.
We do look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel and making your stay once more a “Haven of Tranquility” with all the comforts that you would require.

Sincerely

Write a ReviewReviews (1,265)

Reviewed 6 March 2012

The Hotel is on the Busy street but once you are in- you are in a quite place , the rooms are OK but look like they need re-furnishing the Carpets look old need replacments.
The Breakfast is quite a spred has many counters serving Indian and western dishes, good spread of fresh cut fruits.
Had lunch an Indian Curry and Bread well prepared and wel balanced on spices.
The reception is wel managed good and friendly staff.
A well mananged Hotel .
Pillows were a bit hard but thay I really cant blame as I did not ask for a replacment.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guatam
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and your positive comments are really encouraging and motivates us to do our best
Our chef and his team at CILANTRO have been congratulated on serving a quite a spread at breakfast and the team at the reception too have been commended on maintaining our brand standards in giving you the best in hospitality.
Please be advised that we are refurbishing the complete hotel, albiet in stages and we are looking forward to you returning to our hotel and enjoying the comforts of the new refurbished rooms.
Our sincere apologies on the hard pillows and be rest assured that we will provide you with pillows of your choice on your next visit..
Thank you again for your feedback which is very valued and appreciated. We do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back very soon.
Sincerely

Reviewed 18 February 2012

I stayed here using my starwood hotel platinum member free points for a night as the Useless very aged Thai flight arrives in the middle of the night to Chennai from Bangkok. So I had to stay before my onward train to Salem. As platinum member i was upgraded to their suite - it was miniature suite room. Than I was embarrassed as I had invited some to have some grilled fish as suggested by chef which was horrible - a road side person in Zanzibar, Maputo, Krabi, Ko Samui would have done 10 times better grill. They need a make over to call it a Le Royal Meridien, including the food.

Room Tip: Go into the city Mid segment hotels can offer better quality service and better local food. I cant s...
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Jeevaduraisamy
Jennifer B, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

Dear Jeevaduraisamy,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to gain constructive feedback about your stay at the Le Royal Meridien Hotel. We regret that as a Starwood Preferred guest your experience was not satisfactory. Please accept my sincere apologies. I would like to assure you that we are committed to upholding Le Meridien five star standards.

I am happy to adivse that our suites will receive a complete new look and feel after the refurbishment ; I was surprised to read your comment about your disappointment with our Kayle Restaurant as generally we receive only very positive comments about the food and ambience. I am sorry that on this occasion we failed to meet your expectations.

Dear Jeevaduraisamy, thank you again for your constructive and welcome comments on our product and services. I would welcome the opportunity to redeem your opinion of the hotel and hope you give us another opportunity so that we may show you that we can, indeed do better.

Reviewed 17 February 2012

Been there for a business meeting which is a personality development training too. They are having a very good location and hotel. But some tines they are not capable of managing the heavy population of gatherings. The space in hall is much spacious but the outside area where the buffet and other locations doesn't suits for the high density of gatherings. So need to restrict their strengths to spoil their name. They are good in quality of food. but for business they shold not let it to huge gatherings.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Jennifer B, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2012

Dear Gowrishankar,

Thank you for staying with us in January 2012 and for your review. Guest reaction to our product and service is critical to us as it is only through such constructive feedback that continuous improvements are made to meet and exceed the expectations of our guests.

I have taken note of your comments and discussed these with our Assistant Food & Beverage Manager and Banquets Operations team to ensure that for the future we do not fill the pre-function area beyond it's capacity. Thank you for bringing this to my attention as certainly I understand that an over crowded banquet room is not conducive for productive meetings or an enjoyable meal.

Meanwhile I look forward to your next visit with us and hope to meet you personally on that occasion.

Reviewed 12 February 2012

standard business hotel. one of the better ones in chennai. good food but limited options in buffet.rooms are signature meridian-low on light but comfy. something is definitely wrong with all chennai drivers. they have to drive like there tails' on fire. unless u intervene they will keep speeding up.poolside is lagoon like-very green. gyms are a mess. old machines and mysterious maze of doors to enter. also it was under maintenance, so cud not use it. many doors leading upto poolside are closed- i don't know why. room service is prompt but portions are french-like. overall good clean hotel. and btw, don't mind a small bug here and there. its chennai !!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Jennifer B, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2012

Dear Ashgood,

Thank you for chosing the Le Royal Meridien Hotel for your recent stay and for taking the time to write your comments.
We are pleased to hear that your Le Royal Meridien experience was a pleasant one and our services met your expectations.

We have noted your feedback in regards to the buffet and are happy to advise that changes are taking place, especially in regards to the variety; our new Executive Sous Chef responsible for the Cilantro has already started his magic, creating various new dishes and improving existing ones. I am sure that you will notice and appreciate the spread during your next visit.

We are also happy to advise that the Health Club facilities are now fully operational again and we shall look at making the access to the Pool less like a labyrinth. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed 4 February 2012

My colleagues and I stayed at Le Royal Meridien for 12 days last month. The whole experience was excellent, the food, rooms and service were fantastic. I would especially highlight the staff at the Dome, Buffet and Indian restaurants as being first class. The reception staff were very good. Only the car service was slightly below standard with some drivers being unsure of destinations. The pool was being re furbished at the time of our stay and this was disappointing but understandable. I would recommend the hotel to anyone staying in the Chennai area. The review by LITHIUM is misleading and should be disregarded.

Dear Mike D,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

It is indeed a pleasure to have such special customers like yourself who do take the time to convey their thanks and positive observations.

I have copied your comments to the various departments and also posted them on our notice board so that all my associates may relate to your experience and appreciate the results.

We are sorry to learn that the Travel Desk , which is outsourced, was below standards. Of course this does not excuse the fact that the service was not up to par because regardless whether the services are outsourced or not they must deliver the Le Meridien 5 star standards and we are looking at improving the services with immediate effect.

I am happy to advise that our Swimming-Pool has been totally refurbished and is looking quite spectacular and inviting; hopefully your busy schedule will allow you time to enjoy the experience during your next visit.

Let me thank you again for your kind comments, which really creat motivation and drive the passion in us to excell in all we do.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Reviewed 2 February 2012

I used this hotel from 2nd January 2012. Here is the experience that I and colleagues have had at the Le Meridein Chennai.

1. The rooms were unclean, old, stank and in need of total refurbishment. There were also insects there which was unnerving. The lighting in the room was poor, as was the case in the passges leading to the room.

2. The food was bland and not properly catered for. Eg., olvies mixed with grapes, coffee which tasted like water

3. The pool was simply not operational - it should have been or we should have been informed beforhand that it was out of use.

4. The travel desk was a rip-off - do not use under any circumstance - A return journey to the Raission cost an inordinate amount - paid as I had a delegation to manage. It should not have cost the amount I paid. They alos lied by stating that taxis in Chennai in the evening were not available and if they were would entail an hours wait.

When arriving at the airport for the pick-up, I found being transferred to cars in journey - very poor and unacceptable

Given that I had a delegation, I was forced to chnage hotel mid -week moving to the Taj Club House which was superb. I did talk to the General Manager, and she gave me her apologies along the lines in her response to reviews on this site.

I will not use this hotel again, and neither will I recommend it. My organisation will black-list the hotel as the overall experience was dire. Le Meridein and Starwood have failed to provide a quality hotel for which they very high rates. I shall be seeking compensation in due course.

Room Tip: There is no tip. Simply avoid!
1  Thank LITHIUM

Dear Lithium,

Your comments on Trip Advisor have been acknowledged and as stated during our conversation, corrective measures have already been taken or are in the process of being actioned.

The hotel will be undergoing a refurbishment which will address the wear and tear as well as the lighting. The refurbishment of the swimming-pool has meanwhile been completed and I am happy to say that it is looking quite spectacular.
As also mentioned at the time, the Travel Desk is outsourced; as a result of recieving your comments all Travel Desk associates must attend our Best in Class Trainings with immediate effect; these trainings are conducted monthly. In addition the concerned associate on the Travel Desk has been reprimanded;

Apologies were rendered during your stay and I reiterate these apologies for the shortcomings experienced during your stay with us.