Truly justifies its name... Le "Royal" Meridien is located just 5 km (15 minute drive) from the airport. Though, we were skeptical initially to go for it since it's a 12 year old property, but made the right choice finally to go for it. It is a grandeur with plethora luxuries to offer. The hotel provides airport transfers to guests for club rooms & suites.
Reception: The reception was warm and cordial. As soon as you enter the property, a grand lobby with a dome shaped ceiling instigates the feeling of royalty in you. Our luggage was transferred to one of the suite rooms on the third floor. The front office manager Mr. Roy explained us the inclusions and also showed us the property. The pool, sauna, steam and Jacuzzi are complimentary for residents of suites. Spa services are on a surcharge but discounted rates.
Room: The room was almost perfect ("almost" because of couple of issues mentioned below) - Nice, clean, tidy, fresh, fragrant and spacious. The living room had all the amenities required for any business requirements. The bedroom was apt in sIze and comfort. There are two bathrooms in the suite - one near the entrance (smaller one) and one attached to the bedroom (Lavish one). The bathroom was also equipped with all the required amenities and comforts.
The corridors are long with antiques placed just in the right fashion.
The Royal Club Lounge: The lounge is on the third floor itself and happy hours are from 6 to 8 pm. I would like to specially mention the name of Mr. Damodar and one of his associate (apologies for not remembering his name). The two gentlemen left no stone unturned in making our stay at lounge special and exquisite. We were completely overwhelmed and moved with the hospitality they provided. I would like to thank them again on a personal note for the exceptional work they are doing. Cheers Guys!!
The swimming pool & Spa area (Le Mirage): The way to the swimming pool is like a maze with lots of twists and turns through the Le Mirage Spa. The swimming pool was impeccably clean & well maintained with crystal clear water. The required amenities are also available by the poolside. One can also order refreshments at the pool but possibly at a surcharge.
The steam room was full of steam, the temperature was also horribly high and there was no one to attend there. That's why didn't use the steam room.!!
Cilantro: The restaurant serves delectable and scrummy dishes. This is a must-go place for any foodie. Just tried the vegetarian cuisine and would recommend this place to all foodies. I have never had a better "Medu Vada" than what I had here. The grape juice was also very pleasing.
The staff: The staff is very courteous and always willing to help.
The best Part:
It was our anniversary and they arranged a special cake and a fruit basket for us. Both me and my wife were moved by the nice gesture.
A pianist plays Beethoven's in the evening in the lobby which is very soothing and relaxing.
The Ugly part:
1. The light in our bedroom was not working. We realized this only after 10 pm when we wanted to pack our bags for a flight next morning and found the light from bedside lamps insufficient. An electrician came to our room after 15 minutes and it took him more than 40 minutes to fix the light. This is when I had already requested him to change the halogen in the first instance to which he gave a deaf ear. He kept fiddling with light fitting unnecessarily. Ultimately, it was with the change of halogen only that the light was restored. This marred the overall experience of the stay. I would not like to post further about this in a public forum.
2. There was no power socket available in the bedroom. We are living in an age where two mobiles and a laptop would be common and power sockets are required at the bedside, Power sockets were available in the living room but none of them was free. It was on request that a bulky junction box was provided. But to keep the chargers functional, one of the bedside lamps had to be left switched on overnight. This hampered with the sleep quality.
3. The lock of the bedroom was frisky and we once felt locked-up inside, unable to move out. It was only after a forceful twist that it got opened. Complained about this to one of the on duty managers. Nothing happened. I then left the door untouched,
Keeping aside this ugly part, I would term my stay as memorable and persistent. Would like to revisit for the kind of "Royal" service provided.!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Very close to the airport and to several commercial landmarks and strategically located in Chennai’s prime business district, Le Royal Meridien Chennai exudes grace and charisma offering a promise of unrivalled hospitality.Le Royal Méridien Chennai features meeting and banquet space for up 1,500 guests, five restaurants and bars, a state-of-the-art fitness centre, and a splendid outdoor swimming pool with whirlpool. A travel desk is in the hotel’s lobby assists guests as they experience the sights of Chennai, including the Marina Beach, temple architecture, a vibrant theatre scene, and a five week-long Music Season, one of the world’s largest cultural events. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Le Royal Meridien Chennai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Royal Meridien Chennai Hotel Chennai (Madras)
- Chennai Meridien
- Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort & Spa