“Funky and with the right frills”
Review of The Park Chennai

The Park Chennai
Ranked #49 of 395 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
London, United Kingdom
“Funky and with the right frills”
Reviewed 2 May 2011

You step into the hotel and are almost amused at its kitsch-ness. it has the right balance of funk, elegance and some inventive decor which somehow makes it all work well. I
This funk-elegance factors in everywhere - decor, menu;s, staff uniforms and attitude.
The rooms are quite fun, with filmy posters mostly of pretty forgettable films which adds to the quirkiness. they are generally smallish sized rooms though which is ok if you are travelling alone on work.
Their acqua restaurant (roof top and pool side) is beautiful if the weather is cool. i would recomend it for a romantic chilled out evening. Their coffee shop, 601, has to be the best coffee shop in the country. superb food, options and menus. Nightclub pasha is quite small and can be cramped esp on weekends. The Leather bar at Lobby level is a nice bar, generally chic crowd and good with cocktails. The Spa is beautifully themed, i saw it as i went for a swim but never used it so cant comment on the masseuse/ therapies.
It is in the heart of the city so great as a location and to move around.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
TheParkChennai, Manager at The Park Chennai, responded to this review, 13 May 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at The Park, Chennai and for your valuable feedback. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Your positive comments about the hotel’s décor and style as well as our restaurant and bar services are highly appreciated. The team at Park is dedicated to offering the very best to all our guests and reviews of this nature are encouraging.
We look forward to welcoming you back at the Park Hotels across India.

Warm Regards,
Associate Vice President & Area General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bombay
Reviewed 30 April 2011

stayed at The Park again. it is a truly superb property managed well by the incumbent grup and local staff. though the rooms and facilites need updating however the staff are doing a great job with what they have. the food, service and ambience is great at almost all outlets (bar, coffee shop, poolside, etc). what is special is that place has a real buzz to it. i also do believe that the rooms are going to start a major renovation process soon. will certainly stay there again and again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
TheParkChennai, Manager at The Park Chennai, responded to this review, 12 May 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at The Park Chennai and your feedback. It gives us pleasure to learn that you had a pleasant stay at the hotel and liked our services. As a leading luxury boutique hotel in the country, we not only offer personalized services but also believe in innovating and improving our services and décor consistently.

We look forward to welcoming you back at The Park Hotels across the country and offering you an enhanced stay experience.

New Delhi, India
Reviewed 29 March 2011

One must be be little perplexed by the title, I have given to The Park-Chennai but the title suits the property. The hotel is a mix of a confused architect and interior designers thought. They wanted to create something modern with a touch from the past but in the end created Park Chennai. The hotel is located in a very busy location where traffic jams are part of daily life. Some times it takes 30 minutes to react the hotel even when you are 250 meter away from the hotel.
The hotel has a very nice roof top pool side restaurant. One must attend the dinner buffet on Wednesday with a live band playing. The morning breakfast had a nice spread.
The roof top pool is exciting but could be more cleaner.
The rooms are substandard. Cheap quality wood is used for interiors. Only front facing rooms have a view that too of traffic jams. The hotel is squeezed between two high rise buildings so there are very few rooms with a view. House Keeping was also average.

Overall an average experience if you are an in house guest.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
TheParkChennai, Manager at The Park Chennai, responded to this review, 23 April 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at The Park Chennai and your feedback. We are delighted to learn that you had a pleasant stay at the hotel. The team at the Park endeavors to offer all its guest a perfect stay experience and a review like yours only motivates us to continue our efforts to deliver the same.
We look forward to welcoming you back at the Park Hotels India wide.

New Delhi
Reviewed 29 March 2011

The Park Chennai turned out to be a good hotel from a business stay perspective. Although there is no major attraction to be there but is still not a bad choice for a short business trip stay.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at The Park Chennai and your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.The Park Chennai has been a preferred choice for business and leisure travelers visiting the city.
We look forward to welcoming you back at The Park Hotels across the country .

New Delhi
Reviewed 28 March 2011

The Park hotel in Chennai is apparently built on the site of the erstwhile (very famous) Gemini Studio. Since this was an iconic landmark of madras, the hotel built on the site is dedicated to CINEMA, and the classic movies filmed in this studio.
I love this hotel.
Every room is different. I have stayed here three times, and each time...the furniture, bed, bathroom, canopies have been like staying in another place altogether. Each floor is different too...if you get off the elevator on the wrong floor, it could be another hotel! This is so unusual and so attractive in a 5-star hotel, where one travels a lot and loses perspective of which city one is in...because everything is the same. Not this one!
I ate in the coffeeshop and the food is average. But the spa is not, it is really nice, though ive been only once.
The Leather Bar was shut the last time I went to this hotel, but in my previous visits here it's always had great cocktails and a nice vibe...

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at The Park Chennai and your feedback. We are delighted to learn that you had a memorable experience with us. A feedback like yours inspires our team to continue to deliver high levels of service to all our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back at The Park Hotels across India in the near future.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 25 March 2011

We had heard stories of wonderful hotels in India and therefore for a 5 star hotel our expectations were reasonably high.

We arrived here at about 2am from the airport. First impressions not good and it didn't get any better - Saturday is party night in Chennai the hotel is obviously an important meeting place for 'party' people. The whole parking area was solid with cars queueing to pick up. It seemed to take forever to get to the front door, our bags were taken from us and just left at the place others were waiting for their car to pick them up. We decided to stay with the bags!

We paid for a larger room - the room was not large - I would hate to see the size of a standard one! The room was shabby and damp, bathroom old, curtains had mound on inside. The bed was comfortable and it had nice sheets, can't fault it - we had a comfortable sleep.

The reception area was spacious and probably once was hip and trendy - to us it was pretentious and drab.

Breakfast was good, excellent choices including delicious South Indian dosas (yummy) and loads of normal hotel breakfast choices (omlette, toast, cakes, eggs, tea, coffee).

We had a treatment at the spa - for me a head, neck foot massage - the decor was tired but the treatment was outstanding.

There is a rooftop pool with probably once opulent lounge chairs/beds and pool restaurant, nice to sit out here listening to the crazy traffic on the road below. I picked up several mosquito bites in the lift and reception area which I shouldn't have and to me represents a lot of what is wrong about this hotel, neglected and dirty.

My advice - choose another hotel. This place is over priced and over rated.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
TheParkChennai, Manager at The Park Chennai, responded to this review, 19 April 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at The Park Chennai and your valued feedback. We regret that you had a less than pleasant stay at the hotel. The issues highlighted by you will be addressed with immediate effect and will be discussed with the housekeeping team.
The team at the park works hard to ensure complete guest satisfaction at all times,and we look forward to welcoming you back at The Park Hotels India wide in the near future.

Travellers are raving about these Chennai (Madras) hotels

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 23 March 2011

I stayed only one night at The Park, and for me, it was one night too many. The main reason I left so quickly is due to the distance between my work location and the hotel. However, had the hotel been worth the distance, I likely would have stuck it out.

That said.. here's my skinny on the hotel...

The reviews I read, which led me to book the hotel, have left me wondering... So many raving reviews, yet I could find nothing that would rate The Park as 5 Stars. Upon driving up on to the grounds of the hotel, there was an immediate sense of confinement. There is not alot of land space, which makes the car park / driveway, very tight and slighly chaotic if a number of cars are pulling in.

I have to give props to the entrance, and the lobby. It's ultra chic and modern. Gives a sense of space... but that unfortunately is where it stopped for me.

The elevators weren't impressive for a hotel that is rated as high as The Park. I was on the 3rd floor, and stepping off, I immediately felt boxed in. The ceilings are low, and hallways are musky and leave a scent of dusk. Unfortunately, all of that carries into the room itself. The smell, and the sense of confinement. In all fairness, I have to remember that it is in the heart of the city, and space is limited. But really, do the ceilings need to be soo low.

Now in the room, of course everything is compact. Considering it was renovated in 2008, I expected to see something fairly "new". Unfortunately, that was not the case. I'm disappointed that they at least did not step it up with the room amenities... towels lack fluff, no face towels (c'mon... no face towels?), sheets are old, pillow can't be rated at all, the climate control for the air conditioning is wonky making it hard to get a steady and comfortable temp in the room... I won't speak about the view (not worth it)... nicer bath robes wouldn't be such a bad touch... if slippers are going to be provided, perhaps ones with a bit of cushion would be best, or just leave it out. Not sure if it was my luck, but the wired Internet connection was unstable, and my first login using WiFi indicated that I had already logged in with another device... birds started chirping for me on that one.... After a shower, pools of water can be found on the floor. There aren't any peepholes on the door, so for a solo female traveler, it left me a little weary.

So given all of that, plus the drive I'd have to endure each day to and from work, I quickly booked myself into another hotel, asked for an early check-in there, and proceeded to depart the following morning at 7:30AM.

Before I left, I checked out the gym, which was decent. I'll rate it for having good equipment, both weights and cardio. The pool is nice, very hollywood type of feel. I did eat that 1st night, and the food was really good. Enjoyed a very well made wonton soup and prawn spring rolls. The restaurant looked very nice, well decorated, and the breakfast spread looked good.

All in all I am not impressed with this hotel considering the ratings it has received. I wish I could rate it better, but in comparison to other hotels I've stayed at, this hotel just does not "make it" for me.

I'm now settled into another hotel, same nightly rate, and a 100% more comfortable, spacious, incredibly better serviced, cleaner, safer... and to top it off, minutes from Airport and my work location.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Nkechi1972
Dear Guest,

Thank you for checking in with The Park Chennai and your feedback. We regret that you had a less than perfect stay at the hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed dining at the hotel. The issues highlighted by you will be addressed with utmost seriousness and we look forward to welcoming you back at The Park Hotels India wide and enhancing your stay experience.