“Old hotel, good quality rooms but dirty bathroom”

My Fortune, Chennai
Ranked #33 of 395 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
India
“Old hotel, good quality rooms but dirty bathroom”
Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night on a very short business trip. They upgraded me to their suite with a separate living and bathroom etc.
First impression of the suite: very nicely furnished. The living room had a huge tv and the bed was very comfortable to sleep in.
Bathroom is divided into the bath area and a powder room. The shower was down right dirty and old. One could see that the fittings were old and some one has not been paying attention to clean the same.
Other that that, no complaints with the room.
Ordered for room service: very quick, very polite and attentive to needs. Got me a delicious cafe platter which was basically a mix of idlis, Vadas, small dosa alongwith delicious sambar and chutneys. Also ordered for spicy mushroom which was very average.
Breakfast is good enough to kick start your day on a good note.
Overall a pleasant stay, won't mind staying again if in this part of city.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Matthew_R_Uthup, General Manager at My Fortune, Chennai, responded to this review, 23 January 2014

Thank you for the detailed observations and valued suggestions

We look forward to welcoming you back to My Fortune Chennai for a even more delightful experience.

Matthew Roby Uthup

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Polish first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I was there for a Business trip and would rate this experience 5 star. Staff is friendly and location is nice. I had Dinner and Breakfast in MyCafe(in house dining) and that was perfect :) Charges of Buffet are economical too :)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Matthew_R_Uthup, General Manager at My Fortune, Chennai, responded to this review, 19 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank You for your kind review of your stay with us at My Fortune Chennai !

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay. Your appreciative comments have been shared with the team.

It is reviews like this which motivate us to try even harder to achieve even higher Guest satisfaction.

We look forward to welcoming you back to My Fortune Chennai for an even more delightful experience.

Thanking you once again

Hyderabad, India
Reviewed 12 January 2014

My Fortune still retains the legacy of the Chola hotel. Nice and comfortable rooms during my recent stay in January. The food is good and breakfast spread was nice. Room was the smaller category on the sixth floor, but designed to match the needs of a business traveller. The room boys and staff to reception and breakfast were nice and helpful. Overall a good hotel for experiencing good service. Probably renovated rooms would be better as colleague of mine had got a renovated room and looked better.

Room Tip: See if you can get a renovated room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Matthew_R_Uthup, General Manager at My Fortune, Chennai, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank You for your kind review of your stay with us at My Fortune Chennai !

Thanking you once again

Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed 10 January 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel in room 522 for 1 night in January 2014.

We were graciously received at the reception, speedily checked in, given an upgrade to a suite, and were very happy with the room and facilities. The sofas were very comfortable, there were too many lights but the room décor was tasteful and with two TVs, mirror ante-room and large bedroom gave an impression of opulence. The room was very large by any standard, clean and well furnished. Telephones, wifi, coffee/ tea maker, mini fridge, toiletries, etc. - all went towards making the room comfortable.

The service was excellent, our request for water bottles and tea/coffee/milk sachets promptly attended to. The buffet breakfast was lavish and well prepared. The bathroom had separate shower and bath sections and well equipped with cosmetics and towels.

The only jarring factor was the shower cubicle had very poor drainage and the water very soon collected up to ankle height when taking a shower. Also, the overhead shower was operated by the old fitting of pulling a rod and twisting which was very difficult. Even the bathtub flexible tubing shower was defective.

This is a very good hotel, reasonably priced but needs more attention to small details.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Matthew_R_Uthup, General Manager at My Fortune, Chennai, responded to this review, 11 January 2014

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I booked to "My Fortune", Chennai, through a very reliable highly placed employee of this hotel for Jan04/05 (One night) to their "Fortune Club Exclusive Double Room" for a my family (me, my wife and daughter) with an automatic upgrade to a suite. We landed at the hotel in the evening and then went out immediately after keeping our luggage at the room. Once we returned back to the hotel at around 10pm we decided to take buffet at their only restaurant "My Cafe". The buffet was just ok but not worth the amount they were charging but surprisingly there were only 3 other tables occupied even at that time..
Our troubles started once we landed to the Room which was #410 right at the end of the lobby even though the hotel was barely 20pct full. Why couldnt the Hotel reception be considerate to give a room nearer to the lift ?

Once I entered my suite room I found it to be having only one washroom..
- The toilet had no jet sprinkler
- The water was stagnating below the toilet commode as there was no outlet made there.
- The sliding sheet to cover the transperent glass above the bath tub was 3/4th down and anyone outside the toilet can clearly see inside. The sliding switch was not working/broken. We had to put in lots of towels to cover the space so that no one can see inside from the room outside.

Then I found that the bed was not made and most important the 3rd bed for my daughter was not brought in.. It was 11pm and quite tired after clearing the mess in the toilet. So decided to sleep in the sofa instead of calling in the reception and asking them to bring the bed now.

About an hour later, got up to go to the toilet and found the electricity completely down and could not even locate the toilet in the darkness. I did not want to disturb my family sleeping so did not call the reception and had to use the toilet twice more in the night without proper electricity.

I called in the reception in the morning who then sent the electrician who had to rectify the switch which had tripped down.

We then came down for lunch and decided to take the buffet. There was only one guy sitting and having his lunch. We were thrust with an expensive buffer with free liquor (which we don't drink) and only major Non-Veg stuff (there was just 10pct veg dishes compared to 90% non-veg dishes)
- We can't understand why they could increase the buffet charges to include liquor too. what about teetotallers? Why they should pay for the liquor which they don't drink ?
- All the deserts available was non-veg except for watermelon pieces and pineapple. Ice cream too was missing.
Is this the way to make up for the low occupancy of the hotel ?

We then checked out of this expensive hotel completely cheated out of a huge amount which in case we could have spent of Blu Radisson or Vivanta, we could have got stuff worth the amount that we had spent.

We were booked in this hotel through the secretary to the ITC president and still this treatment. What could be the plight of the other guests who just call and book their rooms ?

B. Shridhar
Mumbai

Room Tip: Don't select this Hotel if you have a choice !!!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Shridhar1462
Matthew_R_Uthup, General Manager at My Fortune, Chennai, responded to this review, 10 January 2014

Thank You for your review of your stay with us at My Fortune Chennai !

Thank you for the detailed observations and valued suggestions and wish to assure you that appropriate measures have been taken.

We look forward to welcoming you back to My Fortune Chennai for a more delightful experience.

Nagpur, India
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I was placed into this hotel by my company as a last minute arrangement. The reception at the front desk was maybe a little slow but then my reservation was not yet on their system so I think it understandable... I received two calls to my room apologising for the slow check-in (which really wasn't a problem to me as the guy was really friendly anyway).
The room (a suite) was well appointed and clean though I found the matress a little soft for my personal liking. Bathroom was clean and with "named" toilletries for shampoo, shower gel and lotion. There was a bath and a shower... though I am not sure how to start the shower without getting a blast of cold water (the shower door opens the wrong way to be able to slip your hand to open the water).
Food was of acceptable quality and the service friendly if a little slow and disjointed.. but this is not a cause for serious concern. Breakfast had the normal mix of fayre from western through Indian to Asian... take your pick.
The hotel is a long way from the best in Chennai but I was not displeased with the service or the cleanliness of the place...!
If I needed a room in the close vicinity to my office again I would not be against staying here again though I have an other favourite closer to the office in Chennai.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Matthew_R_Uthup, General Manager at My Fortune, Chennai, responded to this review, 8 January 2014

London
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Note to TripAdvisor folks: We need more options for overall ratings. 1 is too much in some cases, for example, for this hotel.

It claims to be a 5 star! Going by the prices, well, yes, 5 star prices indeed. Quality is another story: Dingy rooms, electricity that keeps tripping, weird smell in the rooms. We ordered coffee in room, reached us barely lukewarm. Complained to the hotel, but no news. Swimming pool is dingy, with bad flooring that looks very unappealing. Entrance to some of the rooms, after the lift, seems like one is stepping into some service area. Food quality: very average!

Avoid it, don't let it be your "mis fortune"!

Room Tip: Stay here if you get a free stay
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Matthew_R_Uthup, General Manager at My Fortune, Chennai, responded to this review, 3 January 2014

Thank You for your review of your stay with us at My Fortune Chennai !

We also thank you for the detailed observations and valued suggestions and wish to assure you that appropriate measures have been taken.