“Typical of the Taj brand”

Vivanta by Taj - Connemara, Chennai
Ranked #18 of 414 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The moment you walk into this place you know the service will be excellent and it didn't disappoint. Whatever your needs, the staff are attentive and there always seems to be a member of staff nearby, nothing is too much trouble. The hotel is clean and provided excellent facilities. The location is very central for Chennai and ideal for exploring the malls at Spenser Plaza and Express Avenue. The hotel has three restaurants, Hip Asia and Raintree were our favourites, the range and standard of food was excellent, the service matched that standard too. Breakfast was excellent as well, the setting, overlooking the pool was a great start to the day. If ever in Chennai again, I will definitely go back.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Steve J
gmovivanta, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Connemara, Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj - Connemara!

We thank you for your very kind review on Tripadvisor. We are pleased to learn that everything from employee friendliness, location to food and beverage options in the hotel have matched your expectations of a Taj property.

We indeed look forward to your return and facilitating yet another memorable visit.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

When I stay at Hotels like Taj Connemara, I feel privileged. If you just scan through the history associated with the place, you shall feel the same way. I was infact quite amazed when I found that Connemara had nothing to do with Tamil.. its a county in Ireland. And thus, the amazing story unfolded. So, heritage it is.... going all the way before the British Raj in the Madras Presidency. As you see the facade, you wonder how it must have looked way back in the 1860's and upto the 1990s. Today, it stands snuggled behind the Spencer's Plaza (there's a whole lot of associated history with Spenser and the so called Mall culture). The central lobby gives that wide expanse feel, nothing distracting. There's hardly that you find amiss.... its Taj Hospitality all the way and beyond... the rooms, the food, the service, etal. The most attractive is its pool... wide, soulful of turquoise that mermerises the whole environ around it. Perfectly placed, the green belt around it had been beautifully maintained. Quite elegant, pleasantly delightful. And it offers stay at quite a advantageous position. Its literally at the hub, abutting one of the India's first shopping Malls. You stay at Taj Connemara once and you won't hunt for any other place to stay anytime you are at Chennai. I have been doing exactly that! :-)

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Pool.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj - Connemara!

We thank you for your detailed review on Tripadvisor. It was heart warming to note that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay in a location as ours which has a legacy of 160 years behind it and the essence of a Taj property with it it's present day avatar.

We take a lot of pride in being a hotel with a distinct colonial connection and a rich history of a property with great services. Our joy is doubled when our guests leave with memories of the same.

Thank you and we look forward to your continued patronage.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

My experience in connemara with my family was excellent. We enjoyed a lot in there.

The room was very spacious and clean and pleasant. The service there was very nice. the hotel staff is very friendly & helpful.

in one word this is "Excellent

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj - Connemara!

We thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. We are glad to learn that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and have written very kind words for our product and services.

We look forward to your continued patronage,

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Peaceful, well maintained rooms.
Well mannered staff.
Good Buffet Breakfast

Tamil Selvan the best among all the room houskeeping folks.
Tamil knew that I am Lord Ganesha's fan and from day one onwards untill my last day at the Ganesh idol in my was decorated beautifull with flowers.
I was Overwhelmed with the services provide inside the room.
Not only the area next to Ganesha idol was decorated but instead to my surprise last day of my stay had many elephants made out of towel's across my room.

Tahnk You.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj - Connemara!

We thank you for your recent review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are glad to note that you have enjoyed your stay and found our associate Tamil to be of great help in making your stay even more enjoyable.

We have conveyed your kind sentiments to him and we are sure it only takes his enthusiasm to the next level.

Many thanks and we look forward to your continued patronage,

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed here for 2 days during our recent trip to Chennai, and in all a great experience. Rooms are really spacious and clean. Service is exceptional all around. The food and service and Verandah and Raintree are really good. The pool was good - our 5 and 2 year old kids had a good time. The staff around the entire place (rooms/service, restaurants, pool) took good care of us and we really enjoyed it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj - Connemara!

We thank you for your recent post on Tripadvisor on a stay experience at our hotel.

We are glad to learn that you had a memorable stay and our associates ensured that you and your family were looked after well.

We appreciate your kindness in sharing this feedback and do let us be of service on your return to Chennai!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Taj Vivanta such good service excellent staff, very courteous, they go the extra mile to help you intact I can say they were intuitive could understand the customer needs very well.

The food, gym pool all facilities were good.

Enjoy this hotel, big rooms not like the new cramped hotels.

Vinay Barar

Room Tip: Choose the pool facing rooms, the superior rooms are large and comfortable.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj - Connemara!

Thank you for your recent feedback on Tripadvisor. We are glad to have learnt that you have enjoyed your stay in every aspect of product and services. Your kind words certainly go a long way towards our team motivation reaching new heights.

We look forward to your continued patronage,

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Connemara is well maintained hotel in central Chennai. I booked hotel after reading reviews on the Trip advisor and another reason for booking the hotel was proximity to my work place.
Hotel and rooms are neatly maintained. Check in was really quick. Less than 5 mins.This was the only positive for me while staying in the hotel. Although I have to travel Chennai next week also for around 14 days, but surely I am not going to go to this hotel again.

Reasons for being not happy with the Connemara :

1. For each of the toiletries I have to call help desk. Starting from basic one to shoe cleaner.
2. I stayed for 4 days, all 4 days breakfast menu was nearly same and breakfast preparation is too average.
3. I been charged somewhere Rs 600 bucks for drop to office which was hardly 800 meters. I was told we will provide both pick and drop by the travel desk guys. But on the day I didnt availed pick up facility and asked if it can be extended to next day. Travel desk guy said we already have given you discount and it wont be possible. You have to pay again. This seems very commercial reply.
4. During check out , initially I didnt checked and clear the bill, but then i went through the details of the bill to find that I had been charged for the services which i didn't availed. Check out took around 25 minutes and I was delayed for my office.

Personally this is not kind of Taj properties.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Amit_Goyal_Ggn
gmovivanta, General Manager at Vivanta by Taj - Connemara, Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Vivanta by Taj - Connemara, Chennai!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we appreciate the fact that the hotel's proximity to your office and other aspects such as room upkeep and speed of check-in were of convenience to you.

We are however very concerned to hear of your experiences with a few other aspects such as travel desk flexibility vis-à-vis the value offering and accuracy of your billing leading to a delayed departure being ones which may not influence your decision very favorably towards the property.

Kindly accept my apologies for the same.

Objective guest feedback is important to us. We thank you for letting us have the opportunity to take steps in getting closer to meeting guest expectations. I would request you not to hold this against us and let us have another opportunity to be of service. Rest assured that your feedback has been shared with relevant department heads to ensure that these situations do not reoccur.

Look forward to welcoming you back,