My first visit to India and stayed at the Connemara for 2 weeks holiday. Very impressed with Hotel. The room was large and comfortable and the service was excellent. The house-keeping staff serviced my room each morning as soon as I left for breakfast.
Wide range of food available at the breakfast buffet both Indian and Western. Service was always spot on with Antony and his colleagues suggesting Indian dishes I might like to try. The dinner buffet in the Verandah restaurant also provided a large range of dishes to sample and the quality was always to a high standard. Had a number of meals in the Raintree restaurant and the service there was also exceptional. The charming hostess and the friendly waiters took an interest in explaining South Indian cuisine. A great dining experience.
The pool area was comfortable and relaxing. The pool/steam room attendant Mr. Guru was very attentive, providing chilled bottled water &/or fruit juice when you arrived each day by the pool was a nice touch.
A hotel's reputation is usually determined by the quality and service of it's staff and in this regard the Connemara earns top marks.
I was a little disappointed in Chennai as a city, it doesn't seem to cater to tourism as I could not find an entertainment/restaurant area to visit and one of the long term guests at the hotel said if I wished to visit another restaurant outside the hotel then I would need to visit another hotel. Seems strange in a city of six million that this would be the case.
The only disappointment I had in regard to the hotel was that I left some postcards with cash for stamps and a tip with the front office porters desk and none of the postcards arrived at their destinations but this may have had more to do with the Indian postal service.
By and large I had a very pleasant stay at the Connemara and would thoroughly recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vivanta by Taj - Connemara, Chennai is the city's only heritage hotel, built in 1854 as the Imperial Hotel, renamed Albany in 1886, finally re-established as The Connemara in 1890. It was an Art Deco look that the Connemara sported when it ‘reopened’ in 1937. And the legendary architect Geoffrey Bawa added his touch to the tower block and linking pool in 1974. Today it is infused with the spirited style of Vivanta by Taj. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoftTaj, Southall Travel, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Vivanta by Taj - Connemara, Chennai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vivanta By Taj - Connemara, Chennai Hotel Chennai (Madras)
- Hotel Taj Connemara Chennai