“Excellent Property! Highly Recommended!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Leela Palace Chennai

The Leela Palace Chennai
Ranked #1 of 386 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
New Delhi, India
“Excellent Property! Highly Recommended!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

Absolutely fantastic property and extremely accommodative and friendly staff. I stayed at the hotel for a conference and we received the red carpet treatment. The General Manager was himself involved in arrangements and we received a very personalized service. I believe that at a five star property like this, you don’t pay for amenities, but pay for the service and the service was absolutely extraordinary. Would surely recommend this place to anyone in Chennai.

Room Tip: Higher up and facing the sea.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank AneeshB
Leela_Chennai, General Manager at The Leela Palace Chennai, responded to this review, 24 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such positive comments on Trip Advisor.

It is very encouraging and motivating for all of us to receive such positive feedback.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back at The Leela Palace Chennai in the very near future.

Pascal Dupuis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed only a night. Decor is super. Staff well trained. Rooms well designed and equipped. Coffee shop food better than I expected in a coffee shop. Lobby is very well designed. Gym equipment as good as it gets.
Will definitely stay on my next visit to chennai specially with wife.
Only thing that was wrong was service speed which was slower than expected at late hours with very few people in the restaurant.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank vishalj1978

Thank you for taking the time to write such positive comments on Trip Advisor.

I have duly noted your comments about the speed of the service in the restaurant and will certainly tsake this up with the respective Managers and I apologise for the inconvenience caused.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

The Leela Palace has a reputation from what I've heard- a pretty facade and the best taste in food. It pains me to write this review because those two things are the start of a great experience, but service is where it surprisingly fails.

The baseline of hotel service is 'be our guest' and this is something visitors should feel while in the premises. I cannot say this has happened. Instead I, along with my friends felt humiliated and embarrassed to face world-class arrogance that is inexcusable by any social grade- a first as a guest by the place, the city and the country.

My night started great, leaving the comforts of my hotel apartment (not in Leela's) for something sweet. When we finished the treat, it was a shame to waste the driver for just ice cream. A friend in the car suggested we should head to Leela Palace for a drink, and a serving of fries.

This is what happened:
- Entered Library Blu forgetting I was in Dress-Shorts.
- Ordered a drink and food while inside
- Stepped out to get some air, and was refused entry back because "We have a dress code"
- Was stared up and down with judging eyes almost proud that he was refusing entry
- Refused entry to let my friends know that I was outside
- Removed my friends at the bar because their attire did not meet the criteria
- Told that we can finish our order at a different location hidden from the other guests, to which we embarrassingly declined
- Asked to pay for the order regardless of consumption (or lack of)
- Manager alerted of this 'Incident' making matters worse

I understand dress-codes, and company policies; but what I cannot forgive is the way we were handled and insulted which felt very degrading. Not only were they admittedly at fault for allowing us entry and to order but they should have at least asked us to promptly finish up since they had already served us. I'm sure that act of gratitude would not have offended their 6 or so guests that were in the bar that night and allowed us to accept the guilt of our mistake without shame thus allow us to return again favourable of a different experience.

Our attire itself technically outside of their code, but it was hardly insulting- a polo top, dress-shorts and laufers. Then obliging we pay for food we did not touch or asking us to consume it where we cannot be seen- 'apparently' casual wear was a sickness and was contagious by sight. I wanted to lose my composure to defend myself but one look at their stern and trained arrogance, it was just simply not worth it. It was better to just walk away.

Class is not defined by what you wear or who you're with, but a level of sophistication- an ambience, an aura. It is not about who you let in or keep out, but a feeling that you project by the way you treat a person; a guest. Service is not about what mistakes have been made, but how you deal with them to benefit both parties. The Leela Palace Chennai- you fail at both and there is no amount of great food or pretty exterior that can equal to how you can make a person(s) feel. I will never intentionally put my friends, colleagues through an ordeal like that ever!

Try the experience somewhere else- I hear that Bangalore's Leela Palace or ITC Grand Chola is a friendlier, dignified and more palatable experience- money better spent.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
10 Thank marcopolo2015
Leela_Chennai, General Manager at The Leela Palace Chennai, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Guest,

It is with great embarrassment that I am reading your email and I can fully understand how embarrassing it must have been for you on that evening. There is no words to express how sorry we are and there is certainly no excuses on the manner we have handled this situation.

I would really and sincerely appreciate if you can provide me with your telephone number and a convenient time to call so I can discuss this matter directly or you can contact me directly at your convenient time on +919952957567

I really look forward to speaking with you in the very future

The Leela Palace Chennai
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

The Leela Palace is still a work in progress, with the shops, spa etc still not open. However, the rooms are exquisite and the staff absolutely excellent. It was my birthday while I was there and I was presented with a cake - and Happy Birthday sung by staff - at breakfast and a beautiful bunch of red roses in my room. And I don't think I've had my hand shaken by so many people (from my room cleaner to the General Manager) in my life. Despite the fact that I go away over my birthday because I don't want a fuss it was very sweet and rather delightful.

The room: fabulous bathroom, comfortable bed and a wonderful view of the Bay of Bengal. Immaculately clean and well stocked. The complimentary apples and biscuits daily were a nice touch. Large walk in closet/dressing room, two bathrobes (one towelling, one cotton) with matching slippers and a good range of toiletries including toothbrush, comb, a shaving kit etc as well as all the usual stuff. Plus lovely plush bathsheets - I hate small, skimpy towels and these were some of the nicest I've used in a hotel.

The hotel: beautifully decorated and fresh flowers galore. Some rather eccentric artwork particularly at the bottom of the stairway to the lower ground level - check it out! The pool is an oasis and (as with everywhere else) the staff looking after it are charming and helpful. I only ate breakfast in the main restaurant and the buffet had extensive choices, from Indian and Japanese to Western breakfast foods. In fact it's only now, at my next hotel, that I've fully appreciated how fabulous this was. I didn't try the Chinese restaurant but the Indian restaurant Jamavar was also great. HUGE portions (this also applies to room service). Within the hotel security was impressive - you couldn't go anywhere in the lifts without scanning your keycard.

Wifi access is expensive but the concierge who managed my check-in advised me that if I joined the Global Hotel Alliance (which the Leela group is part of - http://www.gha.com/) one of the perks was free wifi. I did and the total for 4 days was automatically deducted from my final bill.

Overall an excellent experience. As a woman travelling alone I look for safe, and secure hotels where I won't get hassled. I had one problem which was escalated to a manager and dealt with efficiently and with care. I would definitely stay at the Leela again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank aliceathome
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such extensive and positive comments on Trip Advisor.

mumbai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

A big thank you to the Leela Palace for providing out of the World opulence. The effort and time taken to procure/source some of the finest the world has seen is the first impression one gets as we walk into the Palace in Chennai.
Deluxe Pool facing room was a combination of modern, yet regal and up to date electronic gadgets. Room was big, Bathroom was plush and the closet was very spacious indeed.
Food in the room was great and China XO the restaurant lived up to expectations. Very reasonably priced restaurant and the opulence inside is seen to be admired.
We were a family of four and stayed in two separate rooms for two nights. Staff across all levels were very good. At $190 a night, this is a steal....

Room Tip: The sea facing rooms will have its charm during the day, but the pool view is good enough at night...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank AjSilverblack

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

Had a brilliant stay. Staff were excellent. Room was pool-facing and was huge. Food throughout the hotel was excellent and pretty reasonable for 5-star. Wine is on the expensive side, probably due to the heavy import duty. Overall an excellent experience.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Vijayawada, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

We happened to stay in the sea view room and it was really incredible !
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wouldnt mind shelling a few bucks
The hotel is newly built and the staff was really helpful.
The breakfast buffet was lavish and really nice with a vast spread
The staff were really courteous, a few of them who realized we were from Andhra Pradesh spoke to us in telugu which made us feel at home :)
We ordered their in room dining service and turned out we had a small metal piece in the curry we ordered, we brought it to their notice and the next morning the head chef personally came to our table while we were at the breakfast and apologised to us and did not charge us for the in room dining
overall stay was really pleasurable and enjoyable :)
would definetly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: We stayed on the 9th floor with a sea view room and the sunrise was one to look forward to :)
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write such positive comments on Trip Advisor.

I once again apologise for the unfortunate incident with your room service and thank you for your understanding.