“Disapointing Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Anchor

Hotel Anchor
Ranked #184 of 388 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Disapointing Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Based on the reviews on trip advisor I decided to stay at this hotel for two nights. To be honest my experience was very disappointing and therefore though I had paid for two nights in advance, I had to check out after 1st night itself and check in to another hotel. Excepting the lobby and corridors the entire hotel including the elevator, rooms and toilets need renovation. The room, though fair in size was congested. The furniture seemed very old and was in urgent need of replacement. So were all the electrical points. So far as the lighting goes there was one tube light, which flickered many times along with couple of CFL lamps. This gave me an impression of some kind of old type of a lodge. Looking at the condition of the plumbing, fittings and the tiles the toilet too seemed very old. Seemed no replacement had been carried out for the last 25 years. Most disappointing part was that the hotel has no restaurant and such either you go out for the dinner or ask the hotel tto get you something from adjacent Sarvana Bhavan. I did ask them to get me some dosas. To my horror the hotel boy got me the dosas, but everything in a plastic bag including sambar and chutneys. They did not even provide crockery and cutlery. All they I was given was a shiny silver paper plate to eat my dinner of dosas. Next morning too I was provided Tea in a paper cup with sugar in a plastic bag. Same thing was repeated for breakfast which I did not feel like eating. Fortunately the room had a good LCD TV and a split air conditioner besides a clean towel for the bath. I remember reading some reviews about this hotel saying that the hotel has a homely atmosphere. I don’t agree as I don’t think anyone is served meals in plastic bags and on paper plate and tea in paper cups. Some more reasons for my checking out was the poor quality of sleep I had first due to loud music being played by the club on the ground floor till past mid night and being disturbed by the noise and honking of trucks, busses and other vehicles at intervals from 4 am. Certainly had a disappointing experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
18 Thank Haresh W

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stayed in Anchor hotels.I liked their service and homely atmosphere.The staff were so kind and had helped us and cleared all doubts regarding chennai as we had visited chennai for business purpose.Being located in heart of the city nearly all the places were easily accessible and transport cost was very less .The rooms were very neat and all the amenities were new.We enjoyed frequent strolls in nearby beach amidst our busy schedule.Safety was ensured .i will be referring Anchor hotel to all my friends and relatives.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank poojapr19
anchorgroup, General Manager at Hotel Anchor, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Thank you so much for your valuable review...

We would do our best to server you better!!!

Regards

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

Staying in Anchor was very good & homely.They give a good Breakfast in the morning.Moreover in the heart of the city at mylapore,it is easily accessible to Railway Station & Airport.The rooms are good and tariff is reasonable near by very good restaurant are available.service is good.It is suitable for staying with family.
Overall pleasant stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

6 Thank SRIRAM M
Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for your valuable review...

We would do our best to server you better!!!

Regards

Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

the hotel is located in the heart of chennai at mylapore,it is easily accessible.The rooms are good and tariff is reasonable.restaurant is available.service is good.It is suitable for staying with family.The Marina beach located nearby.overall i enjoyed my stay in the hotel

1 Thank AnjanManda
anchorgroup, General Manager at Hotel Anchor, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you so much for your valuable review sir :-)

Regards,

Senthil Kumar
Business Head
Hotel Anchor
Bordeaux, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

Coming from Paris, for business purpose, I stayed in Anchor Hotel for two nights. It has been my best experience in a big indian city for this category of hotels. All my requirements were met: rooms and bathrooms sparkly clean, spacious and full of natural light (at least in my room) safety ensured and very polite and extremely helpful team. I definitely will use it as my base whenever I have to stay in Chennai

2 Thank Verynice2014
anchorgroup, General Manager at Hotel Anchor, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Thank you so much for your valuable review ma'am!!!
Pune, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

I have been staying at this property since 1995 when it was under the Nilgiris management, and have found it to be Good Value for Money even today.

There have been some small problems when the new management was taking over, and some of these still need to be sorted out - like restaurant not operational, some bathrooms are not fully renovated.

Room Tip: Make sure that your room is completely furnished - especially the bathrooms.