“Excellent Room, Helpful staff, A bit expensive considering the tax and Fees”

Courtyard by Marriott Chennai
Ranked #17 of 400 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The room I got was awesome. Spacious room, comfortable bed, clean. Staff was helpful and courteous. Overall a pleasant experience. Minor problem was, the bathroom was small and could be cleaner. I did not inform the front desk. If I had, they would have immediately sorted out any problems I had, I am sure. So no complains.
Location is central to many attractions and business. For US consulate appointments, its actually walkable (if you are ready to walk a little over a mile) instead of fighting with rickshaw walas or struggling to find parking space.
Only watch out, If you book directly through Marriott.com, it will show the base price excluding tax and fees. the tax and fee was kind of a surprise, close to 30%, holy crap!!! I booked the hotel for 5.5K Rupees, but when checked in I ended up paying above 7K, caused a bit of a heartache :). I guess its same for all the hotels at this level.
The hotel offers breakfast and other meals. All are a bit expensive. Again, we don't expect anything cheap from hotels at this level.
Those who don't have a Car and plan to use taxis or rickshaws, I would suggest, not calling rickshaws from in front of the hotel. they will charge 3 times more money. Call taxis are more economical and better. If you absolutely have to take a rickshaw, walk a little farther and call. Its not about the money, its about the frustration bargaining.

Back to the Hotel. the room is simply awesome. Service is good.

Room Tip: hose who don't have a Car and plan to use taxis or rickshaws, I would suggest, not calling ricks...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Prakash J, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback about the hotel. I am happy that the associates were able to take care of you during your stay and it was productive.

I look forward to your return to the city and the hotel.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard by Marriott Chennai

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed for 13 nights. We had a very enjoyable stay. Staffs were very helpful, charming and pleasant. F&B staff went out of their way to ensure that we had descent meals at their outlets. Masala tea was the best!! They made sure that we were looked after. Internet connectivity was awesome esp when when you are away from home and want to contact your loved ones. Given the fact that India is generally filthy around the streets as soon as we walked in the hotel we always got a sense of relief and cleaniness. Most of all we would like to thank front office staff Mohan who went out of his way to make sure our stay was a enjoyable and memorable one. Also on the same note a big thank you to Deepika Sharma ( Guess relations manager and Rajesh (F&B). Mohan your love and affection had created a bonding that will be cherised forever.

Room Tip: Good location - closer to Apollo hospitals and shopping malls
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your home away from home. My team and I are thankful for such a wonderful review.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I've always loved staying at this hotel due to the service received. Again I wasn't disappointed; the staff take the trouble right from checkin till departure to make sure you're comfortable and well taken care of.

Breakfast is always pleasant due to the customized service.

Room Tip: Rooms toward the right of the elevator are larger than on the opposite side.
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I was in Chennai for Business for a day and decided to stay with Marriott. The overall stay was fine but there was some kind of commotion at night so I cannot say that i had a good sleep.

I had the food from the in-house Deli and i was really yum ;-)

Also the staff was very friendly and helpful, just a point to remember do not take Hotel cabs for travel as they are super expensive coz Meru took Rs 500/- from Airport to Hotel where as on my way back hotel cab was for Rs 1700/-

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Prakash J, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the hotel. I am happy that you enjoyed the meal at the deli.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel during your future visit to the city.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I would rate the Courtyard in Chennai as the worst hotel I stayed at in a month traveling in India. The hotel was very run down and the room very basic. Both the room and much of the hotel smelled musty. The room felt damp and moldy. If I did not keep the air running and freeze to death then I had to deal with the smell of the room. Check in was a frustrating mess. My room overlooked a cooling tower or some sort of hotel machinery immediately outside of my window and a slum in the distance so I had to keep the curtains closed. There was construction in the hotel and construction outside of the hotel making access a nightmare. The food was average at best. I have gold level status with Marriott, but did not receive any of the benefits, and after this visit decided to avoid these hotels in India. The only positive thing I can say (and a big positive) is that the service was excellent. The staff really did a great job and tried their best to make our stay as pleasant as possible. They recommended and explained food at the overpriced buffet and later when I got sick (probably from breathing all that toxic air) and didn’t want to eat anymore they even fixed me up some sort of liquid concoction as a natural remedy. It was very sweet and kind.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Prakash J, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Guest,

I am happy to note that the team lived up to your high expectation to provide you with service standards on par with the best in the industry. I have taken up your concerns with the team and we are sure to take steps to ensure we are able to provide you with standards consistent with the Courtyards worldwide.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

This was my first visit at courtyard marriott at Chennai .
Spacious rooms and wifi connectivty is good .
Beccause of the Metro work it becomes difficult to get in and out of the hotel at peak hours .
Breakfast has also variety of the food which one can explore

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive words on tripadvisor. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in future.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I lived in Chennai for almost 5 years and during 2 years I almost lived in this hotel. They were at that point of time (2008) one of the best international hotels available in the city. The only piece that always was missing was the swimming pool. The rest is a good hotel with with good restaurants and rooms are standard like any other courtyard.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business