“Where is Parry's?”

Parrys Shopping Centre
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Back in 1995 I was visiting a home for disabled children out on Kilpalk road. We needed some garden tools. Where do I get them? I asked the locals. Go to Parrys they suggested, so off I flew hitching a ride on a tuc tuc, Take me to Parrys I ordered. After a very interesting ride, my driver said here we are. Where is Parrys I asked him. He just pointed down the street. Oh the Parrys shop must be down there some where I thought. I walked a while, and asked a passer by where is Parrys? He pointed the other way. This happened a few more times. I asked a policeman standing outside the local police station. He shrugged his shoulders. In desperation I ducked into a shop to ask. That is where my enqury was finally answered. Sir, this whole area is Parrys, what did you want to buy? He directed me to the Garden tool street, or the street that sells tools. Parrys is an interesting area where whole streets are dedicated to specific items. What an experience I'd had. The streets crowded with life, mingling with the traffic, over lumps and bumps of uncompleted roadworks, this was a great scene to be part of. The following day I took my wife to be part of this anthill of life. Where were the crowds? sure there were plenty of people around, but not the buzz of life I had been part of the day before. We walked past the Parrys Police Station where the copper didn't know where Parrys was, and through the flower market, the only westerners there. People gave my wife flowers. Hang on don't start that, now she will expect that treatment wherever she goes. She may even expect it from me. Let's get out of here! That was back in 1997, our third trip to India. We were younger then. India is calling. A call that must be answered. we have friends waiting for us in Mithra, Premavasaam. Maybe soon, dear friends, maybe soon. Parrys is on the bucket list, bet your .................... on that.

8  Thank pbroboy