Hotel Oriental Inn
The Leela Palace Chennai(Chennai (Madras))
US$178
US$167
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Taj Coromandel Chennai(Chennai (Madras))
US$274
US$183
The Residency Towers(Chennai (Madras))
US$88
US$81
Agoda.com
Park Hyatt Chennai(Chennai (Madras))
US$127
US$99
Hyatt Regency Chennai(Chennai (Madras))
US$101
US$97
US$100
US$72
Agoda.com
Lemon Tree Hotel, Chennai(Chennai (Madras))
US$96
US$69
  • Breakfast included
Somerset Greenways Chennai(Chennai (Madras))
US$86
US$81
Agoda.com
The Park Chennai(Chennai (Madras))
US$105
US$72
Hotels.com
Clarion Chennai(Chennai (Madras))
US$93
US$59
Travelocity
All reviewscopper chimneymusic academydrop facilitycomplimentary breakfastdeluxe roomclean sheetscable tvcoffee makernice experiencehouse keepingpleasant stayconsulate
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 October 2013

This is my second stay here. I stayed in the standard room last time, this time I booked the deluxe room - at a pretty high price.

The staff are really good here.

Booking online, the room description stated there would be a King size bed in the room, but arriving, according to international standards it wasn't even a queen size. Bed sheets a bit stained. The room was quite small and even though clean, it is "lived in". Also the room had a very strong smell of a chemical cleaning agent, which made me feel a little nauseous. Fittings and tiles in bathroom are new and the bathroom was good.

The food on the room service menu was OK, but not worth the price. Regarding other services: I requested and ironing board to iron a shirt before a meeting. It took a total of 4 calls and around 35 minutes to get it to the room. I started ironing my shirt and didn't notice until it was too late that the iron had a faulty thermostat, hence burning a premium linnen shirt.

This is a 2 star hotel, so normally I would not expect too much. However, I have stayed at 4 star boutique hotels around India at a similar price, with far better value for money. I expect a lot more for what I paid.

If it where not for the good staff, I would rate my stay lower than 3 stars. My previous visit was OK, but this time around I feel a bit cheated.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Kheiron J
elango_j, Manager at Hotel Oriental Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Sir, Thank you for investing your time in giving us your indispensable feedback and for selecting Hotel Oriental Inn and being our most invaluable customer. We have made a note of the observations and the same is being taken with the concerned departments. We are sure you will notice the difference when you are with us next time.

Thanks & Warm Regards

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Within Chennai a good hotel which gives Value for money . recommended for a people who wish to have a good stay & very near to US consulate. Room service is 24 hours.the food quality is really good.
Will be coming back here again. A well located hotel close to Music Academy & Dr. Agarwal Eye Hospital. This hotel is around 45 minutes drive from the airport and 20 minutes away from famous Marina Beach. I had to go us consulate and I was searching for a hotel near by tried this hotel . Turned out to be a nice hotel . Nice location, nice rooms, nice food and nice service, good experience overall , food was nice and had lot of variety, nice showers good a/c and rooms . The Hotel is within walking distance to the US consulate and a short auto ride away from the OFC office. The rooms are clean and food is ok. No cloakroom though the receptionists are cooperative and will store your baggage for a short interval of time even after checkout.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Vimal K

Thank you for your feedback that is a bonus to our organization for a better growth. We also appreciate your choice for staying with Hotel Oriental Inn. We are glad you were comfortable staying with us!

Thanks & Warm Regards

Reviewed 17 October 2013

The most shocking thing about this place are the prices on their food menu. They are comparable to any 5 star hotel prices. However the hotel is not even a 1 star. The only consolation is that the location is good and there are a lot of other good restaurants within walking distance from this place. The rooms are decent but the toilets are not very clean. Honestly feel at the same price we stand a good chance of getting a better hotel nearby.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank rags1280
elango_j, Manager at Hotel Oriental Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Dear Sir,
We noted the observations highlighted during your stay in our hotel. We have taken up the views with the concerned department and we will make changes to meet your expectations. Apologies for the discomfort caused. Looking forward to giving you the best of Oriental Inn and its services in your next visit.

Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

It was my first visit in chennai & footed in Oriental Inn, but got disappointed with room size. Also @12 night they clearly denied for any food they can provide to me
Rest of the things are OK.
Location is good, but the entrance is from the back n hotel is bit conjusted.
They really need renovation.

• Stayed: October 2013
4  Thank navinjazzy

Dear Sir,
Observations have been noted, which gives us the accuracy for corrective measures in the areas mentioned; we apologies for the drawbacks and assure an enhanced feel in your next visit for a wonderful atmosphere to stay!

Reviewed 15 October 2013

We spent 5 days at the hotel and on arrival we were given an upgrade. The room was clean and tidy and the staff were all excellent. Location is good and the hotel, although on the busy main Cathedral Road, the position of the hotel on a back lane is ideal and lowers the noise level somewhat. Our only issue was that the late checkout I organised with one staff member was not honoured by the person on the desk when we checked out. Normally that person had been the best staff member in a great team. We settled on a half day rate for an extra 1 1/2 hour's stay. And yes, the US Consul is just down the road. Great to wander past for a look at the security around that place.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade and you may be surprised - we were and we hadn't even asked for one!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bernie D

Dear Sir,
Delighted to know you enjoyed your stay in general and appreciated the goodness of our staff, and the available facilities for your comfort.