“South Indian Treat”
Review of Dakshin

Dakshin
Ranked #4 of 6,689 Restaurants in Chennai (Madras)
Price range: US$22 - US$70
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Awesome Food, Each item was explained in detail by the Service Associates. for me and my guests it was a treat in South Indian Tastes and a once in a lifetime experience

1  Thank 757Syam
There are newer reviews for Dakshin

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Had been to this place quite often and is simply and unquestionably the best in Chennai..

With the live music and appropriately dressed stewards and the overall ambience being good you feel relaxed and happy.

The menu is purely South Indian and very authentic at that, the chutneys are fabulous .

Service settings and the standards are of highest quality

Abdul Hameed remains the favorite of all for the way he goes about his job.. Absolutely top class in service.

For those who don't mind a drink or two don't forget to ask for wine or a beer to add to the flavor ..you will enjoy it with the south indian bitings ( as we call)

Recommended for all age groups ..

Suggestion : Prefer to take a table away from the live music as it is more soothing to the ears..Don't miss the chutneys

1  Thank drsaajan
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Dakshin is unquestionably the best South Indian restaurant in the city. We've been regulars here for the past 2 decades and if anything has changed it's only for the better. Even after my move to the US I never fail to have dinner here every time I visit. Whereas other 5 star South Indian restaurants equate the word South Indian to red chilli paste, the chefs at Dakshin know the meaning of the word moderation. My most recent visit was a couple of days back to celebrate my moms birthday and everything on the thali was simply delicious. We personally complimented chef Harish on everything . Two thumbs up !!!

2  Thank RadShn
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Everything about our meal at Dakshin was fantastic. The menu comprises of dishes from the different regions of South India and each was delightful and flavourful and interesting. The chutneys/ accompaniments were also great. The service was top notch and the staff patiently explained to us the various dishes. The ambience is refined with live musicians playing their instruments. A truly wonderful place and would definitely go there again and recommend to others!

1  Thank NUPURJI
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This is simply one of the best South Indian restaurants in town. Must try if you don't mind splurging a Bit. Abdul Hameed took care of us and he guided us very well with the menu options. They had the Iyer special - small adai & mango dosa, in the live counter. With the chutneys & jaggery/butter it was a delight that we had to order a second serving. Wife picked an Andhra veggie dish(with brinjal) and I ordered an Andhra fish dish(chappa pullusu i think). Abdul told us it won't be very spicy and it wasn't. Along with rice, the fish curry was just delicious. Appam and Kaldosa also went well with both the curries.

Son wanted an icecream and picked mango flavor. It was one of the best mango ice creams I have tasted. I tried Kadal Passi. It was ok as I'm used to that being a jelly style preparation. I had mentioned it was my son's birthday during reservation and was told a 1/2kg cake was complementary. Just when I thought they had forgotten, Abdul brought the cake and the band played the Happy Birthday song. Cake was also very good.

Excellent food and service and no wonder it's rated #1 in Chennai.

2  Thank Senamds