We had to cut short our trip in west Sikkim as a hotel booked in west Sikkim turned out to be disastrous and thus had to quickly book a hotel for 2 nights in Darjeeling ....as our return was via Darjeeling. We thus booked 2 nights in Amarjeet hotel after reading the reviews on tripadvisor.
The manager Mr. Kumar was very very cooperative and arranged a vehicle for our pick up.
Overall I agree with all the previous reviews except one or two.
What I agree:-
(1) The rooms are nicely done.
(2) The staff is very courteous.
(3) The food is excellent.
(4) The room service is very efficient.
(5) The hill facing view rooms were booked and we had to settle fort road facing rooms. Thus the view for us was zero.
Now very important points not clearly informed or highlighted here :-
(1) The hotel is in Kurseong which 30 kms away and it takes around one and a half hour drive from main Darjeeling.
(2) A private taxi (Sumo) for 4 people will charge around 1500 Rs (+/- 200 Rs if you bargain) in season time - one way! Alternatively you can take a share a Tata Sumo taxi which loads a minimum of 10 people before starting the journey!
(3) The hotel is opposite Kurseong Railway Station (toy train). The entire area is more like a slum area!!! It does not have any comparison to the peaceful area of Darjeeling Gandhi Road where all main hotels are located. The traffic hustle bustle and heavy honking starts as early as 7 AM and is a complete nuisance for road facing rooms. On the 2nd day while boarding our taxi we were witness to a group of taxi owners indulging in ruffian style fighting and landing blows on each other.
(4) The hotel has a restaurant cum bar on the ground floor. The access to the rooms is right thru the bar-restaurant! This is very very UNCOMFORTABLE! I have seen guys drinking liquor look in a very dirty manner towards lady guests who are passing by to go to their rooms! If i had a teenage daughter.... I would definitely not allow her to go thru that area in the evening / night.
Except for the above 4 points the Hotel is excellent. but the comparison of this hotel v/s hotels on Gandhi road etc in main Darjeeling is incorrect. We stayed in a hotel in main darjeeling after spending 2 nights here and there is a genuine vast difference.
To summarise correctly :-
1. Excellent option for a group of youngsters who are on a budget travel!
2. Good option for a couple of friends to stay.
3. Average option for a married couple owing to access road to the rooms, the slum type area surrounding the hotel and distance from main Darjeeling.
4. Would not recommend the hotel for a family with teenage daughters again owing to the access road thru the bar-restaurant and the slum area surrounding.
Note that for the management of the hotel, they are doing a good job, the minuses are all related to location. Yes the management must rethink on the access road to the rooms.