“A fantastic relic of a byegone era” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Darjeeling Planters Club

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Darjeeling
Darjeeling Planters Club
Ranked #49 of 93 Hotels in Darjeeling
Amersham, United Kingdom
“A fantastic relic of a byegone era”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

Now I'll start off with the things I didn't like about "The Club". I have family ties to Darjeeling and it so happens in the past my family were members here. I therefore was desperate to stay here on my visit to Darjeeling. The Club has no website which is a pain so I called up to make a reservation and was told to email, which I did. I received no reply and because I really wanted to stay here I phoned again. Most people would not have. To my surprise when I turned up the manager produced the email and looked at me as if I was an idiot when I incredulously asked her why they hadn't replied. Power cuts was the eventual reason given. In fact all my complaints centre on the manager, who is generally rude and a poor ambassador for The Club. The rest of the staff are beyond reproach and went out of their way to make my stay enjoyable. The charming colonial era rooms are kept warm at night by a roaring fire and a hot water bottle in bed, I slept in my usual bed gear without any problems. The bathroom has hot water on tap and is clean, and the rooms as well as being charming are spacious and comfortable. Steaming Darjeeling tea can be ordered any time and can be consumed in bed or on the veranda overlooking the mountains. The location is the best in town, being as it is the centre of town and on the pedestrianised Mall. It is just a shame that this place is past its best and the members no longer appear and the bar no longer runs. A few touches here and there and it would be truly amazing.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Croyals

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Santa Ana, California, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

First think to keep in mind about the Planter's Club: despite charging upwards of $40 per night, they do not accept credit cards. That's a hassle.

I started out in a decrepit but charming room on the second floor. It was November and even sleeping in a full set of long underwear with wool socks on and a sweater, it took me hours to fall asleep because the bedding was insufficient.

I'd checked-in late (after midnight) and forgot to lock my door. Big mistake, as I discovered when one of the employees walked inside my room the next morning, bright and early, and set the day's newspaper on my bed while I shouted at him to get out. I'm female. Traveling alone. The employee just chuckled when I shouted. I did not neglect to lock my door again.

Later that afternoon, some of the employees decided to paint the hallway. The smell filled up my room and gave me a headache, so I asked to change rooms. To my surprise, the receptionist agreed. I moved to a different room on the opposite side of the hotel, where the bedding was better and I could get a decent night's sleep.

The next morning at around eight in the morning, the doorbell buzzed and woke me up. I got out of bed to find one of the employees asking if I had the key to my old room. This poor English guy who'd been stuck my old paint-smelling room stood behind the employee, apologizing to me and trying to explain to the employee that he'd left the key with reception. The employee did NOT apologize for waking me up or bothering me.

I went back to bed but then the cleaning lady buzzed on my door. I realized I wasn't going to get any more sleep and asked her to come back later, once I'd dressed and gone out for the day. I never saw her again. My room was never cleaned.

I got a few more delightful wake-up calls but only one worth retelling. Again, eight or nine in the morning. Again, I drag myself out of bed to open the door. One of the employees shows me a French passport through the glass in the door and asks if it's mine. I'm American. I shake my head no. He makes an "open the door" motion and asks that I check. I open the door and look at the passport. It belongs to a woman who is a different age, with different colored hair and different colored eyes. We do not look at all alike. Aside from the fact that, yet again, I'd been hassled: Do you really want to stay at a hotel where people might go passing your passport around to the other guests? No!

Aside from these examples, which I find pretty awful, I found everyone at the Planter's Club to be generally rude and inefficient. The receptionist called me up to her desk twice to make out my bill, insisting that I stand there and wait for her to tote up the sums each time. She yelled and snapped every time she spoke to me.

I've been in India for a month, and the Planter's Club was by far the worst hotel I've stayed in. Not the cheapest - I stayed at other hotels for 400 rupees a night with better facilities and more accommodating employees - just the worst.

Room Tip: Not all the bedding is equal. If you freeze through the night, ask for a new room or different bedd...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank egbauer

Travellers are raving about these Darjeeling hotels

Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

It is the place to stay in Darjeeling. Let me tell you it will be a life time experience. I just want to post a poem that I penned in the Lodge in the month of December on a freezing morning.

The smoke from the chimney, the smell of the burning coals
smell of the bygone era, feel of days of Raj, the colonial past
smell of Teak, Cedar, and Oak, the warmth of the people
waiting to enlighten our souls, waiting for the morning
waiting for the Kanchenzonga, the abode of gods
abode of peace amongst snow clad peaks
The dark hills, I wonder like a child, wonder in this serene
land of peace and tranquility with the inward beauty
I wait, wait for the good, wait for happiness, wait for bliss
Clouds and fogs, dark lanes, the assembly of Cedar and Oaks
the white and green club of the planters...dark hills...glowing lamps
warmth of the cozy room in the Queen of Hills
Romance in your dark brown eyes...I rediscover the massif
as if I gifted you the hills and you the queen

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank bhattanav
Kolkata
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

We stayed here between 12th to 14th Sept'11.the place is very unique homely cozy and as fresh as a steaming cup of Darjeeling tea.The service was prompt and the behavior of the people were pleasant and warm.I would always prefer a stay here whenever there will plan for a trip in Darjeeling.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Kolkata
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2011

One of the best places to stay in Darjeeling. The rooms were big and cosy, with fireplaces and bath tubs(though you dont have much use of that.. when you are shivering with cold!).
The service was excellent, with all an all smiling staff.. read shabnam and Caroline at the reception and an amazing person called Karma who is your personal valet.. always smiling and ready to please .. He will even make your bed and give you a hot water bottle to keep you cosy in bed! A wonderful human being!
The only thing missing was food! Except for tea, you dont get any food at the hotel, due to an internal policy of theirs, which they are trying to rectify.
Overall, a wonderful experience .. and highly recommended!

Room Tip: Go in the off season (Nov -March)
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank dbsgi
Chamonix
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2010

This was a wonderful place to stay in Darjeeling. Karma, our room service/host was unbelievable! Every night he would make sure we had a cozy fire and hot water bottle in our bed ensuring memorable and cozy night sleeps. This guy was amazing. I was also a bit ill one day and couldn't find a doctor that would see me (it was a sunday). One word to Karma and he took care of everything - I had a prescription within 30 minutes. A beautful man with a beautiful smile and spirit. Recommended!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jonathan L
Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2010

The Darjeeling club is in the perfect spot at Nehru Road,it's walkable from the heritage Railway station.Nice shooping and eateries narby.The Room is spacious,nice outside sitting area.Overall, a nice place to stay.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends