“not good not bad.....” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #77 of 94 Hotels in Darjeeling
Rajkot, India
“not good not bad.....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

v had 2 nights stay on diwali vacation at this hotel.... the good thing is its location and size of rooms and cleanliness...... but bad thing is that this hotel doesnt have restaurant.... even if you want bed tea in very cold weather like in nov december than also you have to go outside for tea ..... as hotel staff was not helpful upto the mark and no restaurant or room service available ...... so snow fall is there outside than only you have to go outside for your food...... this thing decreases its value........

Room Tip: 104 is a good room with good location.......
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank same_394

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

When we first arrived we saw a sign mid way up The Mall for the hotel and so went and checked in - it soon became apparent that this was not the right hotel! There are several buildings/hotels all with this name and run by the same people so we were quickly moved up the hill to the more heritage hotel we had envisaged.

Our room was in the higher hotel and had a veranda, sitting area with superb views, a large spacious main room and a functional bathroom. The building was colonial in style and had bags of character. We were quite happy that we were left to our own devices by the manager for the 5 nights we were there and it was easy to use this more as an apartment than a hotel room - a fridge and kettle would have made this even better!

The downside was the bed!!! The mattresses appeared to be from the 1930's and whilst the bedding was clean the pillows were full of lumps and extremely musty - I used my travel pillow and my extremely healthy husband developed a wheeze on the 2nd day (we bought him a pillow from the bazaar). The room also got very cold overnight and we bought two fleece blankets - the room had an open fireplace and other hotels were advertising that they had logs fires for the nights but sadly ours didn't!

Next time I would probably book something slightly pricier in the hopes of having a better quality mattress and pillow!

Room Tip: We were in room 8 and this had an independent front door so you could come and go freely.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shrews2peeps
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Nothing to say awesome hotel I hope all of will you enjoy staying in this.khan a small boy was also very coprative and helpful. Love u khan.neat and clean and pizza hut and kfc very close. ...............
.. plz visit once

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Saif A
Mumbai
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

I went to Darjeeling for a family trip and had such a bad experience with this hotel. I had pre booked the place. First they gave me a small room and when I found out that they changed it after much reluctance.
There is absolutely no service given at all. Doors/windows are broken, water leaks in washroom from everywhere, insects come inside the room. There is no phone in a room for which you pay 4K per night.
We could not sleep the entire night due to so many insects, when I went to reception the manager said there are no insects in Darjeeling and you wouldn't find a repellent anywhere. Next day I went to a chemist shop just 2 min walk from the hotel to get the repellent and got it.
The manager Raju is so offensive and abusive and tried to hit me as well.
What was disappointing was that when I informed cleartrip about the same, they told me they would give me a call back but never did.
I asked the manager that I want to speak to the owner and he said he isn't here and is in London, later when I was outside my room I saw someone cleaning a skoda yeti and I inquired whose car is it and I was told its the owners car.
All in all, this is not a hotel... its a torture chamber and should never be visited.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

1 Thank Gaurav M

Travellers are raving about these Darjeeling hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

I have had the opportunity to stay in this hotel from 5th April to 8th April 2014 in rooms 21 & 24. After reading about the location of the Hotel, I confess I shaved off 1 day from Gangtok & offered it to Darjeeling. One of the worst decisions, as on reaching Gangtok & staying at the Hotel Sonam Delek was beyond compare to this experience. Anyways, this Hotel boasts of Heritage Rooms, unfortunately this hotel has foundation rods coming out at all places from the outside. Interior is a plain white coloured room, floors lined with cheap wallpapers & provided with a small rug that slips on the floor. I must have fallen badly due to this & also my father. Bathrooms are provided with Geysers, but they switched off the Geysers as per their wishes. We had to call them everytime we needed to use the bathroom as the water in Darjeeling is perennially cold. The washbasin in the bathroom has 2 separate spouts, one for cold water & the other for Hot water. Now please explain what is the use. You cannot use the hot water directly as it will burn you & the cold water will freeze you. Hell of an inconvenience this is. More to this, they claim to provide Wi-Fi. This wifi works only in the lounge sorry mini-lounge area. The lounge can seat only 9 people that too clumsily. One thing is good about this hotel, 1. Excellent Location- It is right on the Mall; 2. Decent View of the Mountains- though it was Clouded the days we stayed. The hotel staffs are for special mention though, They take 10 minutes to respond to your call. When they arrange for a local sight-seeing, they arrange a Sumo after claiming for an Innova. Even this wasn't enough the Driver tried to force us to see Dali Monastery instead of the Ghoom Monastery, because it was on his way down. He never took us to the balance locations after the morning 3 points sight-seeing. The hotel staff won't help you clean up if you spill food in the hotel rooms. So all in all, I paid almost 3k per room per night in prelude to season time, and all I get was disrespect of hotel staffs by not attending, humiliation of cleaning the room, & above all an almost injury by slipping on the lacklustre rug on the floor. So this was a testimony of the entire ordeal of this so-called Heritage Hotel. Please see my review for Hotel Sonam Delek of Gangtok to understand the magnitude of my distaste. Please plan for Dekeling or Shangrila, next time you got to Darjeeling, friends.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Tirthankar D
New Delhi, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

Terrible experience with untidy rooms.The receptionist asked whether payment made online thro Cleartrip. Then with luke warm response he started adding extras. There were no attendants and then he took us to one room which was very tidy and not even cleaned.After the exchange of some words he shown another room which was almost in the same state. My near and dear started cursing. I ve requested please provide the good room and provide heaters and don't mind paying extra charge. he coolly replied that there is no power and even gaizers will not work and this will continue for 2 more days. Then I ve vacated immediately after signing the feedback in their register and located another Hotel (travellors paradise) which was at the same cost and was up to our expectation. Am trying get refund with the help from cleartrip. Overall it absolute useless hotel...and had a unforgettable bad experience.

Room Tip: No good room here
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Robinkamboj
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

What a perfect location for exploring Darjeeling. Located a short walk from the main square and shops. Also easy walk to HMI. We loved the location.
The Hotel would has lots of charm and clean spacious rooms, if in need of some TLC. The staff are helpful and friendly.
The only negative is the temperature with no heating, there is s wood burner in the lobby, the rooms are cold. You can hire a heater from reception at extra cost (£5) per night, which is a bit cheeky, the heater was ineffective in the large rooms. So pack warm cloths. Sleeping is fine lots of warm bedding.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends