“Everything is as expected..”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Darjeeling
Hotel and Restaurant Shangri-la
Ranked #4 of 126 Darjeeling B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We have visited Darjeeling many times before but first time we opted for this Hotel, expecting good location, good room and above all good service (yes in West Bengal). Let me tell you, all were at place. Liked its location, Rooms and its hospitality. I would highly recommend it for family.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank JPPoddar

Reviewed 12 January 2014

We (myself with my wife and daughter) visited Darjeeling on 28th Dec 13 and returned on 1st Jan 2014. This was our first trip to Darjeeling a so we were looking for a good Hotel for our 4 night stay. Shangri-la was recommended by one of my friend and also I went through all the reviews of this property in TripAdvisor. We loved this hotel. Very conveniently located, close to mall (just few steps), famous restaurants Glenery's and Kaventer's are absolutely nearby. We stayed in Room 103. A Big and well maintained room with view of Mt Kanchenjunga. Good quality of bed liner, clean toilet, Hot water bag in every evening. Almost every thing was present ensuring a comfortable stay. But, above all, the best part was the service of the Lady Mrs. Lamu (sorry if I misspelled her name). She was very caring, very gentle, very well spoken and very well behaved. I must Thank to Mr. Ranjan Lama (the Owner) for arranging every thing as promised staying far away. I do not have any complain and with pleasure, recommend this Hotel to all.

1  Thank Chakraborty_Sanjay
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I with my wife and two children visited Darjeeling from 23rd December to 27th December and stayed in Hotel & Restaurant Shangri-la Darjeeling web-site www.hotelshangriladarjeeling.com/‎ for 4 nights. Before booking this hotel few things were in my mind that the hotel should be close to the Mall, warm particularly at bed time as my both children are suffering from cold and cough throughout the year and one of them asthmatic, good view of Mt. Kanchenjunga, 24 hours hot water & in room tea/coffee making facility etc. I searched a good hotel within my budget from the web site of www.darjeeling-tourism.com and I found this hotel highly recommended by Mr. Raj. I also read review from this site and decided to stay this hotel. I am very much thankful to Mr. Ranjan Lame who allotted me Room No. 103 for out stay.

The Room is cosy enough and huge where we 4 adults comfortably stay 4 nights. Mr. Lama arranged two extra beds for us. The bed liners were worm enough with hot water bag (free of cost ) even upto sub zero level. Weather of Darjeeling was very much chilled, cloudy/foggy during our stay. Temperature went upto sub-zero level at night. However, we were very much comfortable inside the room after lighting the in room fireplace and putting on the electric radiator ( extra charges were Rs. 500/- + 150 per night ). I, therefore, recommended this hotel especially for winter season. I got everything as desired except viewing Mt. Kanchenjunga due to bad weather. Room decoration, sitting arrangement & lighting are good. However, at least one bright light is required for reading and searching small thing like ear rings.

We booked this hotel MAP basis. Breakfast & Dinner/lunch were in package. I came to know that our monitory limit for Dinner/lunch was Rs. 300/- per head/per day which was huge. We also tried to exhaust entire monitory limit but failed to do that. Food quality was very good & testy even Bengali foods were cooked very well.

As far as the room service is concerned, Ms. Lahmo was really excellent, ever smiling, courteous & caring. Our stay became much better with her care and services. Room and bathroom were cleaned every day under her supervision. Beds are arranged every day by her. Bathroom towels are also changed by her on request. She is a very much reliable lady & has every solution. The boy who lighted the fireplace after out Dinner is very innocent and obedient. All other staffs were also very courteous and helpful.

I am fully satisfied and enjoyed the service even though I must mention one thing that the rate is little bit of higher side. Otherwise it is an excellent hotel for fooding & lodging.

At last I have two suggestions for Mr. Lama:

1. Additional Provision for Electrical blanket is to be made for those tourists who don’t want to use fireplace.

2. At least one bright light is to be provided so as to keep children cheerful/joyful & also for reading and searching small things.

Room Tip: Room No. 102 & 103. Take one major meal outside.
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel during a trip to Darjeeling in October. Me and my partner loved the huge wood panelled room and the fire place was really cosy as the evenings were starting to get chilly. We were very well looked after by Lamu who bought us our tea in the morning and served us with a delicious breakfast. The hotel is in a great spot right next to the mall and perfect for watching the world go by as well as being really close to all the little curio shops. We ate in the restaurant too. The momos were particularly tasty, but we also enjoyed the Chinese and Indian food. All in all a great end to our trip round India ... Darjeeling is such a laid back place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Irene S
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Most disappointing restaurant during my entire tour if India. It does not deserve high praise from the Lonely Planet at all! No heating, poor quality food, smokers filling the room with toxins and utterly over priced for what you get. Avoid!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We visited this place from 15th December to 18th December. Few things which were in mind were staying close to the heart of Darjeeling (Chourasta), finding a warm place to stay in (with kids prone to cold & myself asthmatic), good view, good food, & value for money.Well, I can say, I got everything staying in Shangri-la! While I felt, we could have a room with a little better view of Kanchanjunga, but our Attic Suite was close to our imagination. Room was really majestic with the wooden interiors, comfortable bed, traditional sofas, ample cup-boards and space for a big family like ours (of 4 members). Car arrangement was really good, food quality was quite good apart from room arrangement including the fire place. We had 24 hours of hot & cold water in our bathroom.
From the big windows we could feel the busy life of the people along the Mall Road which I feel is a big attraction for those who can't move out frequently. As the place was very close to Mall we frequently moved in and out. One thing I should mention is the smooth availability of WIFI connection (complementary) inside the room which kept me connected with my work group as well as our social circle.
As far as the room service is concerned, Ms. Lahmo was really excellent, ever smiling, courteous & caring. Our stay became much better with her care and services. She had solution for everything and we easily relied on her. Rest all staffs were also very courteous and helpful.
Our review wont be complete without thanking Mr. Ranjan Lama who made every arrangement perfect staying far off and handling all our querries and booking on-line. Sincere thanks from all my family members to Shangri La team.

Room Tip: We were in Room No. 103 which was really good in all aspects while Room No. 102 seems to have a litt...
1  Thank Saurav_Kr_Datta
Reviewed 9 November 2013

If you want to be in the heart of Darjeeling, stay at Shangri-la. Just minutes from the Mall this boutique hotel has a lovely colonial feel to it. I really enjoyed my 5 night stay at the hotel with Mr. Sonam Lama and staff taking care of all my needs. On my first night the hot water heater packed in. Rather than getting the unit repaired having to wait till the next day, Mr. Lama went to great lengths to source a new unit which was fitted in the room that same night.

The room I stayed in Room 103 is huge. Beautifully furnished with a comfortable bed, seating area and fireplace. Not that I needed it in October, but I can imagine how cosy the room would be with a fire blazing. Breakfast was served in the room which was huge. Either a full English nosh up, or traditional Indian. I tried them both, and they were both excellent, the only problem was, I couldn't finish it all. Ms Lahmu who took care of the meals was very attentive, immediately attending to the room buzzer. An extra cup of tea or piece of toast was no problem at all.

Wi-fi in the room was very good and free. I hate being stung for extra money which many hotels do. All in all, I can thoroughly recommend this place to stay if you are visiting Darjeeling. The only down side is that there are only a few rooms available at this place, so I advise you to book early.

The restaurant below is also first class. If fact it would be one of the top two places to dine in town. The restaurant not crammed with tables like most places and has a lovely ambiance. The food, both Chinese and Indian is good and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: 102 or 103
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business