“One of the best hotels ever stayed”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Darjeeling
Hotel and Restaurant Shangri-la
Ranked #6 of 124 Darjeeling B&B and Inns
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“One of the best hotels ever stayed”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I was at Darjeeling with my wife and 2 year old kid. Stayed at Hotel Shangri-la,Darjeeling,15th March to 18th March.2014.This hotel is the best hotel I have stayed.Starting from room service, ambience,cleanliness,food all were excellent.The room service lady Lobbo was exceptional.The owner Mr.Ranjan Lama who is an NRI was also at Darjeeling at that time.He personally met me.He is a gem of a person.Overall an exceptional hotel and advice to all for stay there.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 2 March 2014

First thing first, this hotel has another listing on Trip Advisor by the name Sangri-la. My review for it is also posted there.
It had been almost 5 months since the wife and me had taken a vacation. My court work and the wifey's not so court work had started taking a toll. With mom visiting the sister in bangalore, we managed to take time out.This time we settled for the hills slightly far off from delhi. After a (surprisingly)marvelous snack aboard Air India we reached bagdogra which was hot. Took an innova pre-paid from airport to darjeeling. The driver Jai Shankar Singh was talkative and kept talking about delicious momo joint enroute. Well, the momos were just about edible. After a tiring 3 hour journey we reached club stand the hub of darjeeling. We had reservation at the Shangri-la which is ideally located at a stone throw from chawrasta(the heart line of darjeeling).The Hotel seemed good. The room was spacious, with wooden floorings and walls. The bed though seemed small, but that's where the niceties ended. The washroom is amazingly small and doesn't seem to have place to stretch even. Seems it has been built as an afterthought. The lady who serves at the restaurant below also doubles up as room service. She promptly informed us that room service ends at 7.00 pm and the restaurant takes last order at 8.00. I was duly surprised. How can a hotel have last time for room service ? And that too 7.00.. I asked her whether this hotel is situated in darjeeling or war torn Afghanistan. Anyways, the wife should be comfortable as she is in family way, with this thought I dropped the idea of changing hotels at that time. At about 6.00pm we kept calling the room service (by ringing the bell as no intercom) but no one came. So I went down and asked her for water. After a while, we thought of strolling the chowrasta. We went out and came back at 9.00 after having dinner at a restaurant close by. There was no water to drink in the room. Kept looking for some help who would atleast bring us some water but could not find any. Tried sleeping but the bed was so creaky and uncomfortable that could not sleep. When the eyes could take no longer, suddenly we started hearing people talking loudly, dogs barking and loud music. I went out trying to find what is happening. Seemed the hotel staff also lives in a room adjacent to ours and the noise was emanating from there. Suddenly the mysterious service lady appeared and stated, "room heater 200 rs." Do I want it ? I said, we want water to drink. She promptly replied room service is over at 7.00. I kept standing there in amusement. Next morning, went down at 7.00 am, still no body around. Went to a shop, bought water came up. Filled the kettle, made tea and woke the wife saying we need to check in someplace else. The tea bag provided in the room was ordinary. Least expected from a hotel in the tea capital of the world. Next, the lady came and asked us what will we have for breakfast. The wife settled for alu parantha. And I asked for eggs. The breakfast was another disaster with egg scrambled in water, and parantha like a naan. Oh god !! I could not keep the wife in such a place. We decided to check out as the basic necessity which one looks in a hotel is good service. In this Hotel there was no service forget Good Service. Not recommended.

Room Tip: What is a room with no service. Dont Choose this hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank advocatemrinal
rddmj, Owner at Hotel and Restaurant Shangri-la, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
We normally start all our management responses to reviews on Trip Advisor by thanking the reviewer for taking the time to write the review. However this review seems so far from being an honest account of our hotel that no thanks is deserved. I would urge any of our potential guests to scroll down past this review and read all the review that contradict this everything said in this. Our hotel is regularly praised for it's comfortable beds (all king sized with quality sprung mattresses), friendly and helpful staff and delicious breakfast.
As for the bathrooms, Hotel and Restaurant Shangrila is an original building from the days of the Raj and not a modern concrete hotel. The bathrooms are a perfectly acceptable size and the rooms are very well proportioned.
This guest stayed during February, which is not peak season. All shops and most restaurants are closed by 8.30, hence the relatively early closing time. Our hotel is listed here and on our website as a B and B, not a 5 * hotel. We believe it offers exceptional value for money and so do the vast majority of our guests.
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 26 February 2014

It had been almost 5 months since the wife and me had taken a vacation. My court work and the wifey's not so court work had started taking a toll. With mom visiting the sister in bangalore, we managed to take time out.This time we settled for the hills slightly far off from delhi. After a (surprisingly)marvelous snack aboard Air India we reached bagdogra which was hot. Took an innova pre-paid from airport to darjeeling. The driver Jai Shankar Singh was talkative and kept talking about delicious momo joint enroute. Well, the momos were just about edible. After a tiring 3 hour journey we reached club stand the arteial journey of darjeeling. We had reservation at the Shangri-la which is ideally located at a stone throw from chawrasta(the heart line of darjeeling).The Hotel seemed good. The room was spacious, with wooden floorings and walls. The bed though seemed small, but that's where the niceties ended. The washroom is amazingly small and doesn't seem to have place to stretch even. The lady who serves at the restaurant below also doubles up as room service. She promptly informed us that room service ends at 7.00 pm and the restaurant takes last order at 8.00. I was duly surprised. How can a hotel have last time for room service ? And that too 7.00.. I asked her whether this is darjeeling or war torn afghanistan. Anyways, the wife should be comfortable as she is also in family way with this thought I dropped the idea of changing hotels. At about 6.00pm we kept calling the room service (by ringing the bell as no intercom) but no one came. So I went down and asked her for water. After a while, we thought of strolling the chowrasta. We went out and came back at 9.00 after having dinner at a restaurant close by. There was no water to drink. Kept looking for some help who would atleast bring us some water but could not find any. Tried sleeping but the bed was so creaky and uncomfortable that could not sleep. When the eyes could not take it anylonger, suddenly we started hearing people talkking, dogs barking and loud music. I went out trying to find what is happening. Seemed the hotel staff also lives in a room adjacent to ours and the noise was emanating from there. Suddenlyn the mysterious service lady appeared and said, room heater 200 rs. Do I want it ? I said, we want water to drink. She promptly replied room service is over at 7.00. I kept standing there in amusement. Next morning, went down, still no body around. Went to a shop, bought water came up. Filled the kettle, made tea and woke the wife saying we need to check in someplace else. The tea bag, was ordinary. Least expected from the tea capital of the world. Next, the lady came and asked us what will we have for breakfast. The wife settled for alu parantha. And I sked for eggs. The breakfast was another disaster with egg scrambled in water, parantha like a naan. Oh god !! I could not keep the wife in such a place. We decided to check out. Not recommended.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank advocatemrinal
Bhubaneswar, India
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We had our dinner in this restaurant. The ambience is great and quite well maintained. We placed the ordered for a Tibetan food and Chilly-chicken with Roti/Indian bread. Taste was average. But the 'Roti was very hard and made us annoyed. Price was reasonable or a little bit on higher side.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Mr.Ranjan the owner of the hotel was interacting with us on from the day we mailed him requirement. Staffs were courteous. Arranged for our travel with a good vehicle . Located close to Chowrasta/market.Rooms were neat and good. Would love to be back again with my friends and family gain shortly.Thanks Mr.Ranjan and team.

Room Tip: Choose an attic room if u can climb 5 floors .
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We loved this hotel with its large attic bedooms and fantastic views of the mountains, rooftops
and,above all ,the busy street below us. We munched our fried eggs and toast with a grandstand view of pig-tailed little girls skipping down the Mall to school, smartly dressed business men and women off to work, builders carrying half a house on a bicycle,coolies carrying enormous loads by their headbands - a fantastic snapshot of Himalayan life. We stayed 5 nights in October 2013 and were well looked after by the staff and the driver they found for us.He even braved a rocky road with a 4000ft drop to try and find the tea estate whose tea we sell in our fair trade shop in Edinburgh.A really good place to stay though I would echo the reviewer who said the restaurant is cold.

Room Tip: Ask for the room over the front door.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rose F
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We have visited Darjeeling many times before but first time we opted for this Hotel, expecting good location, good room and above all good service (yes in West Bengal). Let me tell you, all were at place. Liked its location, Rooms and its hospitality. I would highly recommend it for family.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family