“Windamere, Darjeeling”

and 1 more site!
Windamere Hotel
Ranked #8 of 99 Hotels in Darjeeling
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The three day stay at Windamere was the highlight of my recent visit with my family. It's old-world charm, hospitable staff and great location made it a wonderful stay. I liked it that it was so close to Chowrasta and somewhat away from the rest of the crowded places, and loved both sitting out in the sun in the court-yard/ viewpoint terrace in the day and the tea-time in the rooms inside with the scones, cakes etc. It also served one of the best teas I have had - in fact, carried back a pack of their Castleton Muscatel tea! Certainly on the pricier side but well-worth it for a holiday if you are in a mood to indulge.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 November 2013

This is one of the top hotels in the world. A throwback to the days of the "Raj." The service, the rooms, the food and the staff were simply outstanding. Highly recommend this jewel of Darjeeling. It is worth the trip. Might even catch a glimpse of the Himalayas!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tim K
Reviewed 12 November 2013

A friend of our suggested we should take tea at the Windamere when visiting this old tea planting area. We went a couple better than this! We decided to stop for lunch at the Windamere, which was absolutely lovely. Before I had finished lunch, I left the table and went to reception. A few minutes later I returned and asked my wife's opinion of the Windamere - It was exactly the same as mine - FIRST CLASS. Good, I said, because I have booked our next three nights here! She was thrilled. Our stay was just what we needed. All of the staff were so attentive, the food was superb and the open fire in our bedroom - well it's just what you see on the movies. We enjoyed our afternoon teas (see our photo), we stayed in the Princess of Siam room, my wife enjoyed a head and shoulder massage and we both recommend their Gin and Tonic.
Sadly, our three days cam to an end too quickly. Should we ever return to Darjeeling, we know where we will stay - So we suggest you also stay at the WINDAMERE

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bellx2
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I have stayed many times here and it just gets better and better. The staff could not be more lovely, gracious and attentive. Entering Windamere is like being enveloped in a great big hug. Toasty coal fires in your room, delicious food, hot water bottles, afternoon tea, many comfortable seating areas and warm hospitality. I LOVE this place. Please don't ever change.

Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 15 October 2013

this is the second time i visited windamere hotel darjeeling, i noticed a lot of difference.Firstly, on our second day at the hotel,the geyser stopped working we had to make do with buckets of hot water,this is simply not done considering the amount they charge.secondly, there is no health shower,which is highly unhygienic.not only in India,I think in Europe,the places I have been to or the hotels not only did it have a health shower also had a bidet.the food is good, but they seem to romanticize food, hash browns according to windamere standards,would mean,tiny cubes of fried potato.As far as laundry goes,they do not know how to iron gentleman's trouser,yet charge a bomb.

But,all is not bad,wonderful service staff,tea is very good,food is good,linen is very clean so is the toilet.

Room Tip: rooms in the old wing are heritage rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank brindasirkar
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I visited the place with family a few years ago in March. The place is absolutely fantastic. Cottages hold a true old world charm. Food has classical recipes especially continental Afternoon tea is divine. Hospitality is awesome and location is fantastic.

A place worth a visit moreson in winters when you can use the fireplace in the room.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Janix500
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The Windamere is not a hotel it is an experience in its own right. If Darjeeling is worth visiting for its colonial foundations then the Windamere is the cornerstone of the modern colonial experience. My wife and I visited for four days and cherished the time. Every meal is served in the dining room. There are both British and Indian courses and one can (and should) eat both. Afternoon tea is served in the bar and music room. The hotel sits atop Observatory Hill, the highest point in Darjeeling, and offers a spectacular panorama. As for rooms, I would opt to pay the extra to stay in one of the four suites in the main building but there are reasons for being more remote as well.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple