“Worst experience ever”
Review of Pineridge Hotel

Pineridge Hotel
Ranked #78 of 125 Darjeeling B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 February 2012

They were snoopy coming to my room for no reason, they wouldn't make a fire for me although there is a sign on the front desk saying it was always available for 300rupees. They kept asking me when I was leaving because my friend who was a man spent time in my room. They were rude, creepy and unhelpful. The room was not cleaned properly when I arrived and the plugs didn't work. Avoid at all costs. This was a cheap hotel at not cheap prices.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 17 February 2012

We loved our 4 night stay at the Pineridge - it is a huge hotel and one of the few remants of the Raj era that is cheap! We had the gigantic blue room that is pictures with the massive bay/turret window seat overlooking the Mighty Himalaya. It wasn't completely clean, but it was completely charming and the sheets were clean and crisp and they gave us extra heavy blankets!

It was winter when we visited, so it was freezing, but the staff brought up bundles of firewood and lit it for us and for about £1-2 per day it was lovely and cozy! Plus there was a huge clawfoot tub so we had a hot bath each morning before going out to the little bakery called Glenary's that was 2 mins walk down the Mall.

The hallways were empty and we nosed around a fair bit - if we had the money, I'd buy it and restore it to it's former glory. Darjeeling is one of my favourite places in India and for the same price as you'd pay for a basic boring guestroom, you get a quirky & cheap place to stay! I think we paid £10 or £12 a night and other boutique style hotels with character are all at least £25 to £100 per night. You could easily charge £100 a night if it had a good clean, lick of paint and some minor updates!

Room Tip: Ask for the blue room with the fireplace, bay/turrett window and clawfoot tub!!!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank N G
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Refrain from staying in this hotel at any cost if you want your baggage intact at the end of your trip. Me and my husband had a horrible experience during our one-night stay at this apparently safe and well-located hotel. At around 11PM, while noticwe were watching the TV, we suddenly noticed some movement behind the window curtain, and in the span of another 3-4 seconds a man put in his hand through the window, which we believed was closed, lifted up my handbag which was there on the sofa adjoining the window, and fled through the back compound. We raised a cry but it was all too late by the time the sleeping guard was awakened. I had large nos. of valuables in the bag.

Imagine the horror we spent the rest of the night in, in another room of that hotel, after which we left in the morning, but not before we had charged the owner with a compensatory amount. When we later went to the Darjeeling thana (police station) to file a General Diary (as I had several identity cards in that bag), the police confirmed that there have been various similar instances that have happened in this hotel in the near past.

I suppose this is a lesson to learn for us who think that having paid a fair amount as the hotel tariff, we can remain assured throughout the day and night. I am sure the hotel was directly or indirectly involved, or else how would the thief have known which particular room's which window was defective??

Beware of this hotel, friends!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank asm1801
Reviewed 17 October 2011

One can not miss this hotel. It is just the last building on the left hand side on the way to mall, the chowrasta. Its a 150 years old palace with very poor maintenance. However, we got hot and cold water round the clock which is hard to get in Darjeeling. Rooms are spacious and offer good view of the town as well as the mountains. The rooms - the corridors- the furniture gives a feel of British India. You also feel like that the floors, the carpets, and the upholstery were last cleaned in those days. It is quite amazing to walk along the corridors after 11 PM when the lights are put off. Although it is a large palace only a few rooms are used for the guests. You therefore never meet another guest. That gives you a feel that you are staying in a haunted palace. We did not get our morning cup of tea before 8 AM. But what do I care? A few steps and I am in the mall. We got our tea at 5'o clock in the morning. Everything taken into consideration I shall again come to this hotel if they do not hike the price too steep.

Room Tip: Avoid room no 128 129. Others are good. I Liked 130.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank Arunabha A
Reviewed 23 November 2010

nice hotel, beautiful views from hotel, This hotel has very nie prime location.Nice restrauant nearby and Jeeps and taxi are available nearby for sight seeing.Hotal manager mr sooraj is very helpfull and arranged our tours and taxi at very reasoanable rates.Hotel is quite a budget hotel but we only paid 1000rs for tripple room hence cannot complain against the price paid.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
8  Thank ddave786
Reviewed 20 November 2010

I visited darjeeling with my family (my wife and two sons) for three days(30.10.10 to 01.11.10) and booked the hotel pineridge on line through cleartrip web site.The first very point which satisfied me is the location of the hotel just on the mall and the safety because of the locational primeness.The hotel looks to be very old (heritage structure) & aristocratic having very big size rooms / spacious but not so well maintained. As the hotel is very prmely located so absence of room service didn't play a big role regarding having foods - all excellent restaurants are well with in very close reach. We enjoyed a lot in Darjeeling in general and because of staying at prime location in particular as during our stay we enjoyed regular cultural program being performed at mall.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank gaugang1956
Reviewed 18 October 2010

A very old hotel. They are renovating,but that wont help. Service is pathetic, no hot water, not enough light in rooms, staffs behaviour very bad. We heard stange noises and something moving in the first floor. My child got sick. We changed the hotel the very next day. From locality we came to know that the son of owner of this hotel had died in this hotel. Since then the hotel is haunted. But thank god we all are safe.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
57  Thank famsha
PineridgeHotel, Owner at Pineridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2011

We the management & proprietors of Pineridge Hotel take serious exception to this review as we are fully aware that this has been posted by a competitor who despite their best efforts are unable to dent the popularity of The Pineridge Hotel as Darjeeling's best located and value for money hotel.

A historic property in every aspect the Pineridge Hotel has never had any history of the 'death of a proprietor' within the premises as all the proprietors and their children are very much alive and in good health nor has there ever been any rumour as bizarre as the property being haunted. This is completely a figment of imagination of reviewer and all such lies needs to be condemned.

We expect a sincere apology from the