“Great location, great staff, great service.”
Review of Dekeling Hotel

and 1 more site!
Dekeling Hotel
Ranked #5 of 98 Hotels in Darjeeling
Adelaide, Australia
“Great location, great staff, great service.”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I stayed at Dekeling Hotel for the second time in 18 months during November 2013 and was once again very impressed with all aspects of my stay.
This year I booked a budget attic room for my seven nights and found it to be more than satisfactory. Once again the room had outstanding views over Darjeeling and a clear view of Kangchenjunga. The budget attic rooms have shared shower and toilet facilities and these were spotlessly clean (the cleanest & best maintained bathroom and toilet of any hotel I have stayed in in India) and there was hot water available every time I needed it. You are also only sharing with a very small number of other guests so it was never a problem to get access to the facilities. The other rooms have there own toilet and shower facilities and are still reasonably priced.
The room itself was spacious for a solo traveller and also very clean with a table and chairs, tv, wardrobe and warm blankets and quilt.
I had chosen to return to Dekeling this year after such good service from the management and staff last year and am happy to say this was of the same high standard once again.
The location of Dekeling Hotel is excellent. Not only do many rooms have great views but you are also only a short walk from the mall and there are many restaurants & shops nearby. The hotel has it's own reasonably priced restaurant on the ground floor (you have to climb a few levels to the hotel accommodation itself) where I ate on several occasions but there are literally dozens of choices for eating out with in a few minutes of the hotel.
There is breakfast available in the dining room/lounge of the hotel and I was impressed with this on my last visit but did not use it this year as I'm not a big morning eater. The dining room come lounge is a great place to sit back and relax with a book or to chat with other guests or to take take in the wonderful views.
The staff and management in particular are always helpful and are there to answer your enquiries about what to do and where to go in the local area and will be more than happy to help organise any trekking, taxis or to suggest day trip itineraries.
It is important to remember that if you have a problem climbing stairs then this might not be the hotel for you as you will need climb several flights depending on what level your room is located, but this is a hill town so climbing is something you will do wherever you go.
Thank you one again to the family and staff at Dekeling for making my stay enjoyable and I would certainly recommend Dekeling to others and will hopefully return myself next year.

Room Tip: Ask which rooms have views. Both rooms I have stayed in have had outstanding views but I believe som...
Norbu D, Owner at Dekeling Hotel, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Thank you for your kind review and your kindest reccomendations.
It was great pleasure and hounour to have you with us again.It gives us much joy and immense job satisfaction to receive your kindest appreciation of our facilities and services. We assure you, we will try our best to uphold and maintain our services.
All of us join to express our heartfelt “Thank You” to you for choosing to stay with us again and we look forward to have you with us in future.

Norbu Dekeva

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I originally planned to stay one night but ended up staying five. I thought Dekeling was terrific, and the location could hardly be better.

The view of Kangchenjunga from my room (one of the cheaper attic ones) was stunning. The room had attractive wood panelling, and the bathroom had hot water and was well looked-after.

The comfortable lounge / breakfast room had more great views.

Friendly owners and staff - the family also own the Dekevas restaurant on the ground floor, which is well worth a visit.

Just one thing - which was probably more my fault anyway - it's best to get in before, say, 10:30 pm - one night I came back at 11 and found the door locked and the shutter down. (They did let me in eventually after some ringing on the bell.)

This was my favourite of all the many places I stayed over 5 and a half weeks in India.

Norbu D, Owner at Dekeling Hotel, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Thank you for your kind review considering our Hotel as one of your favourite. It was indeed great pleasure to have you with us.
We assure you, we will try our best to uphold and maintain our services.
All of us join to express our heartfelt “Thank You” to you for choosing to stay with us.

Hayle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2013

A very warm and welcoming place to stay. Staff friendly and attentive, amazing views of Kanchenjunga from the room and breakfast room. The room itself was clean and extremely comfortable, my one and only gripe and it really is a minor one is that the décor was a little tired, but I really didn't care. A lovely touch was the hot water bottle and tea brought to the room, really nice. I would definitely recommend to anyone visiting Darjeeling!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Norbu D, Owner at Dekeling Hotel, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Thank you for your kind review and kindest reccomendations.
It gives us great pleasure and immense job satisfaction to receive your kindest appreciation of our facilities and services. We assure you, we will try our best to uphold and maintain our services.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us in our effort to offer quality services and ensure pleasant stay for all our guest. It was indeed great pleasure and hounour to have you with us.
Alton, Hampshire
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I stayed at the Dekeling for the last 9 days of my trip to Darjeeling and it was a highlight of my trip. I had room 105 which had a fantastic view of Kanchenjunga from dawn to dusk. I had plenty of clean blankets, crisp sheets & as many dry towels as I wanted. The shower was always hot & although the room had no heating it wasn't too cold.

The communal lounge was a real highlight, the atmosphere was warm & friendly and travellers from a wide range of countries & age groups all enjoyed company & conversation over breakfast and in the evening when most guests sat in the lounge chatting. It was a great way to meet people to trek or travel with.

The staff were helpful & friendly, the breakfast freshly prepared and substantial. Mrs Norbu was available at any time to talk through any problems regarding the Hotel & did everything possible to assist.

The only real problem (which the owners can't be responsible for) is the incessant problem with street dogs barking literally all night. Also the Jeep Taxi rank is right below the hotel so around 4am when the Jeeps start taking passengers to Tiger Hill it gets quite noisy, but you do get used to it after a night or two. The Hotel doesn't take credit or debit cards so if you stay (like I did) for nearly 2 weeks you need to take care to get enough cash out in advance.

I had a really nice time there, I was warm, safe & happy. A great place for anyone travelling alone who enjoys company in the evening.

Room Tip: Room 105 has a fantastic view, but does suffer from street noise
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Everything about this hotel was good. Location, atmosphere, rooms, lounge, and food. And help from staff, and just a good place to connect with other travelers. There was some noise from fireworks but it was Diwali. Namaste

Room Tip: The room to the right of the reception is below the dining room, and as chairs are moved around upst...
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I stayed three nights at Dekeling Hotel in November and must say that this is a very well ran cosy little accomodation right smack in the heart of town.

The first sight that greeted me upon stepping into my room A4 was the incredible window view. I was blessed with perfect clear weather throughout my stay and you can say the view from my window during sunset was out of this world! The peaks of Kangchenjunga were smothered in a soft pink glow during sunset and just this view alone was worth the long rides and flights getting to Darjeeling.

The hotel is of the budget type, hence you can't be expecting the usual amenities associated with modern hotel chains. Nights can get pretty cold, and there wasn't a heater in the room. However, to alleiviate the discomfort of long chilling nights, Vikram from the front desk helped to get me a hot water bag, which was a nice gesture and made the cold much more bearable.

Great location (10mins walk to huge supermarket) and super nice family running the place made my stay very pleasant indeed. Plus the oft-mentioned many steps to the reception could leave you breathless, and might be physically challenging/impossible for some, but hey look on the bright side of things, regular slope and step climbing is what keeps most people in Darjeeling very much in shape compared to those in mega cities like Delhi or Mumbai!

Room Tip: Room A4, with two single beds is at the top floor corner, has a million-dollar view of Kanchenjunga...
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

Charming ski-lodge or guest house atmosphere with shared lounge (83 steps from street) having the spectacular view of the Himalayas.
Some things a bit 'Basil Fawlty' (meaning well but not getting results) but staff are very gracious and helpful.
Beautiful breakfast of unlimited Darjeeling tea, toast, lovely omelettes and more for Rp200.
Hot water bottles filled for you each night.
Now the Basil parts:
- When booking ask for "best view" not "best room". I think Rm105 probably has best view of all. We got Rm205 which was the large "Honeymoon Suite" but had no view, smelt dank and bathroom fixtures were faulty. They changed us the next night to A3 which has great views through it's gable windows.

- WiFi worked a bit intermittently and so slowly that only text emails could get through.
- no fly wire on windows so careful not to have them open and a light on at night.
- no fridge, no AC or heating, no self serve tea/coffee
- take earplugs for the constant traffic noise and dog fights (all over Darjeeling)
- No information about Darjeeling activities or attractions in rooms or reception. Rely on tripadvisor if you can get WiFi
- Leave key at reception or room won't be cleaned
- Power on some circuits goes off intermittently.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank melbournian1950s
Norbu D, Owner at Dekeling Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Thank you for your kind review, appreciating your stay with us.
It was indeed pleasure having two of you with us. Thank you for bringing to our notice your problem with Wi-Fi, fly wires, fridge, A/C, non information on tourist activities and power supply on some circuits.
We will seriously address all these issues and take positive action. All of us would like to once again thank you for your kind review and thank you for choosing to stay with us. We would all like to wish you many pleasant holidays.