“nice cozy hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 94 Hotels in Darjeeling
Baroda (Vadodara), Gujarat, India
“nice cozy hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

we had a great experience.. a good budget hotel, with great food and service..initialy we had booked hotel sanderling, but after a terrible experience, we moved to seven seventeen.. we had a delightful stay at darjeeling, thanks to the prompt service and freindly people..

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank burzin2013
105717, Owner at Seven Seventeen, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words and for choosing to stay with us in our humble abode
Seven Seventeen .

It has always be our pleasure to offer the best of services and quality food to our guests and thank you for your feedback which will assist us in our efforts to provide quality service.

Please do visit us again and we wish you a very pleasant journey

Jigme.D. Bhutia
Managing Partner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Polish first
Shillong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

The hotel is conveniently located and is very near to the taxi stand.
hotel interior is nicely decorated and in line with the local culture.
the booking was made through cleartrip and hassle free. by mistake we were allotted a small room but within an hour they shifted us to the designated room. a spacious neatly maintained room in3 floor.
room service was good but the buffet BF sucks.
we hired a local taxi (sumo) for the entire stay and drop to Mirik.
the driver Mr.kundan (09641672772)was very well behaved and a good guide. he was never in a hurry. book him directly not thru hotel.(any other taxi as per choice but never thru hotel)
enjoy

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

3 Thank n_venkateswaran

Seven Seventeen .
It was indeed a pleasure hosting you y as our guests at the Hote.

Please do visit us again and we wish you a very pleasant journey

Jigme.

Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Hotel Seven Seventeen in Darjeerling was even better than I had hoped. This hotel was wonderful! I chose it and booked it in Australia through bookings.com based on the bright Tibetan décor, the reviews I had read, the price and the things I had heard about the restaurant. Check in was hassle free. The staff were polite although a little quiet (shy I think). Our rooms (I had booked two) were fantastic. They were bright, clean and both had windows with views (one over the street which was really interesting and the other towards a Buddhist temple). The hot water was only available in the morning (7 till 8) and in the evening (7 till 9) but this was not a problem. The bedding was really warm, which was needed as it got pretty chilly. The best thing though I think was the amazing restaurant! It was incredible to look at…the painted walls and ceilings were so atmospheric and the food was divine! If you go there (and you should) then order the chicken Momo’s (a Tibetan type of dumpling or gyoza). So delicious and made fresh when you order, so they don’t sit around. A little bit of a wait but well worth it. We also had the vegie Momo’s (yum!), and the fried chicken momo’s (also yum!). We had dinner there twice out of 4 nights and the food was clearly the best we had. Also give the Tibetan soup/noodle dish a go…excellent! Breakfast was yummy and plentiful. The Indian Puri Bahzi was a winner with my family and the banana pancakes. The thing that topped off our visit was our invitation by the owners to share tea with them in their residence. It was just so nice chatting to them and we were even given some homemade biscuits to take with us to eat on the train! This is a clean, family friendly and atmospheric place to stay, that is in the heart of Darjeerling and walking distance to everything we needed. I fully recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Zoltress
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay in our humble abode It was indeed a pleasure hosting you at our Hotel

It has always been our pleasurer to offer the best of servicesand quality food to our guests and thank you for your feedback which will assist us in our efforts to provide quality service.

Please do visit us again and keep us in your mailing list.

Jigme
Llandeilo, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

I stayed here for three nights on a work trip. The room was okay, not brilliant but clean and comfortable (especially the bed). I struggled with the hot water which was intermittent and not very hot but I would stay there again just for the food which was exceptional! The breakfast was to die for (especially the porridge with honey) and the owners kindly arranged for me to have an early breakfast on the morning of my departure. I chose the cheapest room and if I return then I will choose a better room higher up the building so I get the wonder views of the mountains in the morning.

Room Tip: Higher up the building is better for views but these are the more expensive luxury rooms and suites...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Heaven1308
Dear Guest,

It was indeed a pleasure hosting you and your family as our guests at the Hotel and we are really glad that you choose to stay in our humble abode Seven Seventeen, Darjeeling

It has always been our pleasurer to offer the best of services to our guests and thank you for your feedback which will assist us in our efforts to provide quality service.

Please do visit us again

for Seven Seventeen

Jigme D.Bhutia

Ra'anana, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed 8 nights in this hotel in the 4th floor. The room was beautiful with a view to Kanchenjunga mountain. It was clean and tidy. We always had hot water when we needed. The hotel is situated in the center of the city and the fact that cars have difficulties to go on the hotel street makes it more a quiet place. The restaurant in the hotel serves very good food and something extraordinary was the treatment from the two Tibetian sisters which own the place. They always made sure we do not miss anything and several times invited us and other guests for tea and cake.

Room Tip: In Darjeeling most hotels do not have elevators. Choosing higher floors might have better chances fo...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Yoram L
105717, Owner at Seven Seventeen, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Seven Seventeen .

Please do visit us again and do keep us in your mailing list

Jigme.
chennai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

Firstly, the locality of the hotel is pathetic to say the least. It is a very crowded area and a narrow road. Half of the road is occupied by parked vehicles and it is very difficult to drive.

They gave us a room in 5th floor without any lift. The room was very small. The only good thing was that the hills were a beatiful view from the room. Lift issue is understandable given the power situation in Darjeeling.

They promised that hot water will be available from 7 AM to 10 AM. But the problem is water was never hot. Normal water felt like ice and hot water is similar to normal water in Chennai. In that climate and without hot water it was very difficult.

They never gave towels till the end.

Next comes the breakfast. While we felt happy that they had continental, north Indian as well as South Indian food in breakfast, our happiness was shortlived when we tasted. My request is, kindly do not serve south Indian food if you dont know how to make it. Idly was ok but upma, sambar and chutney were horrible. We had to live on breads. Tea was ok. We didnt have courage to try coffee even once.

I realise that there are some operational difficulties in Darjeeling but some of the issues can be easily sorted out if the management has to the willingness to serve the guests for the money they get.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have a good view of the hills but you should be prepared to climb up stairs.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vignesh S
105717, Owner at Seven Seventeen, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Sir,

Well to be frank . It is high time I should be blunt.

I am the owner of Hotel Seven Seventeen and have been running the hotel for the last 21 years
before that I had worked in many 5 star hotel in Delhi and in Amritsar retiring as Food & Beverage Manager .
my whole family , my brother , my wife, and my sister in law all look after its day to day running of the hotel ,as this is our bread and butter. and we understand what bread and butter means to us. A Bad comment will hurt our reputation as a result we always try to please our guest and make them comfortable as possible. but sometimes like electricity and water problem
in Darjeeling makes everything go haywire and as a result hard to please a guest

We are so sorry for you did like the breakfast ,south indian breakfast which we had served
perhaps it was not up to you taste.

inconvenience is highly regretted and suggestion will be looked into

Jigme
Warwickshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

Checked in for 3 nights - checked out after 1.
Rooms are damp, bedding is damp, carpets unvacuumed and dirty, dead insects on the window shelf, bathroom is basic and very old fittings.
Hot water limited to a couple of hours in the morning and evening - though the water doesn't get very hot.
Towels and bedding are stained.
Bedding is very damp - I had to request a separate sheet and sleep on top of the bed as it was too uncomfortably damp to get in. Other hotels in the area had dry beds so their excuse re the weather is not valid.
WIFI is only available in reception - and you are not allowed to use skype, face time or any video calling apps. Reception do not openly tell you this but there is a small sign....somewhere!

Staff ignored my questions, shouted at me when I was using face time (unaware of the rule) - when I approached the manager re the behaviour of his staff - he was not even bothered!

At about 10pm I decided I would check out as I didnt want to stay after the incident with the memeber of staff that shouted at me. I called down to reception and was unable to check out as there wasnt anyone available to take payment.

Strange hotel - very big and I feel the manager just cares about getting as many guests as possible rather than the quality of the guest experience.

Avoid it at all costs!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Annaher
Jimmy D, Owner at Seven Seventeen, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
I would like to make a few comments on this review as the report in totally untrue.
Just beside the main door we have a very flashy sign and right on the bottom it says Free WI Fi but no Skype or any Voice mail/transfers.The lady was using face time and when our staff POLITELY asked her to kindly disconnect it and it was not allowed she continued to do so. off and on throughout the afternoon.. She had checked in around 12 noon.
In the evening around 8.30 pm when she again started using facetime again mu staff requested her again not to do so.Even after many requests she did not stop so my staff disconnected the wi fi. Then she started to use foul language and started abusing my staff. I was in my office and hearing the commotion I went to meet her. She complained that she was not allowed to use face time . I showed her the notice board and told her that Wifi was free but we do not allow video/skype or voice mail. She started using foul language and started making other complaints such as the room was damp, linen was not clean etc.and she would check out and not pay. Though she had occupied the room for more than 7 hours and there had been no complaints. She was just making an excuse. The room which was provided is room No 502 which is all wooden panelled , with big bay windows which provides a lot of sun and so the question of dampness does not arise at all. As for the hot water this particular room has a separate geyser installed and provides 24 hrs hot water. All allegations are totally false and baseless. As the hotel is family run and we try our best to provide clean linen, homely atmosphere, good quality food and always try to please our guests but some are just impossible. Upon threat of going to the authorities if she checked out without paying she simmered down and said she would check out the next morning, which she did.