“Painted Tibetan wonder wins our fave Indian hotel award!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Seven Seventeen

Seven Seventeen
Ranked #15 of 95 Hotels in Darjeeling
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Painted Tibetan wonder wins our fave Indian hotel award!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

As charming as the town of Darjeeling, we truly enjoyed this 5 story hotel close to jeep taxi drop off, great shops, the main market and good restaurants. We found it very central and enjoyed the views over the town. We only walked a block or three with our bags from the jeep taxi rank that came from Sikkim.

At reception we were greeted by friendly, knowledgeable staff and walls painted in colourful Tibetan style. The staircase shows off traditional Tibetan artifacts and leads us to our room high up - decorated in wood and rich fabrics. We enjoyed tea one night with warm and friendly owner Yeshi, that was in her home on the top floor of the hotel. We also loved the reading room, beautifully furnished and just a perfect place to read and reflect on the day.

Coming and going we were always politely greeted be staff - most friendly we've experienced in India so far. The restaurant is good and we tasted both Indian food and traditional Tibetan fried Momo's (with some extra veggies prepared personally by owner Yeshi). What really blew our hair back was the impressive painted walls in the dining room and common areas...it felt like a proudly Tibetan museum showing off the rich culture - and as Yeshi explained, it took 20 years to build up, floor by floor - all done with much care. Be prepared for a little normal Darjeeling noise at night... the Darjeeling Dog Choir is unsurpassed for originality and they relish showing off their vocal stylings! Still - definitely our favourite hotel (and town) in India and don't see how it could be improved upon.

Room Tip: Head to the top! We enjoyed the views from the fifth floor
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank planetcalire

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Polish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

As per tripadvisor it is showing as a 3 star hotel but my booking is confirmed in new heritage seven seventeen which i dont think is a 3 star hotel. The rooms are not upto the mark. Room service is not well that much. Also the room is too small there is no towell in the bathroom. There is no view from the window as you can touch the building net to it from window by hand.

Overall I have visited there with some expectation which is not fulfilled with this hotel. I just one to mentione one thing that the food quality and variety was quite good with this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

We had stayed at the hotel for two days in May 2014 and it was a pathetic experience. The prices charged were close to Rs.5000/- per night but the room wasnt worth it. The hotel looks very gloomy although the rooms have been decorated in Tibetan style as shown on the website. The bathrooms need renovation and hot water is available only between 7:30 am- 10 am and for couple of hours in evening. The approach road is always so congested that guests have to walk some 300-400 m to reach the hotel. So porters from hotel have to be requested to carry luggage. When we reached the room, some wet towels were hanging in the bathroom and had not been replaced. In the morning lots of traffic noise can also be heard from outside. Only saving grace is that the restaurant serves decent food at reasonable prices. However, guests are allowed to smoke in the restaurant which becomes uncomfortable for others as there is no proper ventilation in the restaurant.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
105717, Owner at Seven Seventeen, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for giving detailed information regarding your experiences staying here with us.

Sir I would like to inform you that when the management made this hotel at H D Lama Road the roads were broad neat and clean but after the Gorkhaland agitation every nook and street corner building has mushroomed and also no of vehicles has increased with little space for parking and space for pedestrian to walk,

What to do cant move the hotel and its surroundings . Darjeeling is crowded as any other city

Sir our hotel tariff starts from Rs:- 2,500 and not Rs:- 5,000/- as you have mentioned . you can check our website:- www.hotel717.com . Sir i know that we should be having smoking and none smoking zone and we did have for some time but repeated plea falls sometimes leads to brawl by the local youths which we avoid but we do have proper vents in restaurant which perhaps you might be aware off.

Extremely sorry for the inconveniences you had to face but what to do we will try to improve on the suggestions made by you .
bangalore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Getting to this hotel will be a task in itself , because of narrow roads and all the parking etc, . Every corner you see tibetan art facts and they have good souvenir shop in the lobby . Hot water is only limited period of time and bathroom anglo indian commode is a bit of a disappointment . Feel rooms need lots and lots of maintenance needed. staff is helpful .

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
105717, Owner at Seven Seventeen, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Sir,

We thank you for your feedback and try to improve on our services

Assuring you that we will improve the Bathrooms and Rooms facilties soon
Kolkata
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Had a nice experience , the rooms were large, cleaned, location near to mall.The service was excellent . The staffs were friendly. The car rental for Tiger Hill and Local Sight seeing was provided was also good and priced moderately.Enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: View rooms are really cool , hot Darjeeling tea with hill views ...excellent
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ay0n
105717, Public Relations Manager at Seven Seventeen, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Dear Sir

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences about your stay here at Seven Seventeen

Seven Seventeen is committed to provide Stay comfortable , memorable and pleasant

Hope you will keep us in your maling list and patronise us in further as well.

Miss Jyotsna
New Delhi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

This Tibetan hotel is located in a long and congested road but near to the heart of the town. When booking the hotel I had no idea that the road outside was so narrow and lonely at night. I mean everything in Darjeeling shuts down at 7 PM. So there I was checking in at 8 PM in the dark and gloomy reception located at the end of a small but narrow lobby with the restaurant and bar attached. I was given room number 204 on the first floor as I was not prepared to climb to the 4th floor to get a room with a view.

The room was large and relatively furnished with everything you may need including a large old fashioned TV which had all the necessary channels. The furniture including the bed have seen better days. The wood on the sofa was dying for a coat of varnish. Nevertheless the bed and the quilt was very clean and comfortable. Dont get fooled by the slouch on the bed. Its due to tow quilts overlapping each other in the middle. The beds are flat, well cushioned and comfortable.

The bathroom which had old fashioned marble floor, an Anglo Indian Commode, a shower which I might add was efficient and a clean basin. The hot water supply was limited to a couple of hours in the morning and evening only. Room service was quick and courteous. The staff here were mostly courteous and friendly.

The complimentary breakfast was ok but only on the second day did they give me the menu and I realized that I had various options ie. English, Indian or South Indian dishes. The first day the waiter Shambhu asked me what I wanted and I told him I wanted an omelet and toast with butter on the side. When the bread was brought in not toasted and when I asked why he said it would take time and the voltage is always low there. So I said I would wait and it took him around 25 minutes to get me the two slices not quite toasted.

The restaurant cum bar is relatively well packed at night. I ordered a chicken chop suey and I like the taste though for the price they charged the quantity was pretty much less. However the preparation was quite tasty. The cost of liquor is just ok but could be cheaper considering its the hills. At this time I and Shambhu became friends and thereafter he looked after me well. So that was the reason for the breakfast menu to be on my table the next day morning. However, I warn the readers to order food well in advance as it take quite a while from the ordering till the food is laid on your table.

There is free wifi but its only available in the restaurant and lobby but the best part is that it worked efficiently while I was there.

All in all its a ok hotel if you want to me near the walking distance from the mall and shopping area and dont mind the gloominess. The rooms on the roadside get a lot of noise in the afternoon when the shops are open so I would recommend that one take a room on the back if you want a nap in the afternoon.

I don't think I would stay here if I decide to visit Darjeeling again. In fact I don't think I would like to visit Darjeeling again. It was totally disappointing and in hindsight should have spent the whole 5 days of my holiday in Gangtok which was a super beautiful town. The Darjeeling town I am told has had no development since the British left India. The shops close at 7 PM and the restaurant and bars close by 9 PM. So if you're planning a late night in say at Joey's Pub where I did then order food before the restaurant close down. The much talked about The Buzz and the Glennery Hotel closes at 9 PM so there is hardly any night life in Darjeeling. That night I got no dinner. In other hill stations such as Mussoorie, Shimla, Nainital and other places in the North India they remain open till 11 PM or even later.

Room Tip: Go up and take a room in the back if you can walk the flight of stairs.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Sudip
105717, Front Office Manager at Seven Seventeen, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Dear Sir,

Yes Darjeeling closes early . Sir I would like to inform you that when the management made this hotel at H D Lama Road the roads were broad neat and clean but after the Gorkkhaland agitation every nook and street corner bulding has mushroomed and also no of vehicles has increased with little space for parking and space for pedestrian to walk,

We thank you for your feedback and try to improve on our services and quality and quantity of food

Mr Prem Rai
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Good food, good service by ever-smiling staff who go the extra mile to make guests comfortable make this hotel a nice place to stay in Darjeeling. The rooms on the two top floors are the best, but one has to climb nearly 80 stairs to reach them, thus making them out of bounds for the aged or infirm. The lounge on the fourth floor is cozy and warm and an ideal place for reading over a mug of beer or a cup of tea. One drawback here is the non-availability of hot water round the clock, so guests have to wash/bathe only during fixed hours every morning and evening.

Room Tip: The rooms on the two top floors are better, ask for a west-facing room for great views
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jaideep1411
Dear Sir,

We are so sorry for the inconvenience you had to face during your stay with us. It would be a pretext if i had to explain but what to do i must inform lay the facts as what happened.

In Darjeeling we depend on trucks to ferry water supply which sometimes gets delayed which as a result we have to have fixed timing for hot water

Anyway thank you very much for sharing your views and hopw that you will keep us in the mailing list and give us an opportunity to serve you soon

Jyoytsna