We had stayed in his hotel from 29th Dec'12 to 2nd Jan'13 & the very first thing that comes to mind while saying something about this place is its strategic location and the relatively reasonable rates considering its locational advantage. Its a Tibetan hotel,managed by some very courteous & nice people.
The hotel offers comfortable rooms done up with wooden interiors,having geyser & round the clock water supply in washrooms,cable TV connection in every room, wifi services (w/o any extra charge) and room heater service (on request & extra charges).Only tea is served by them,so one has to go outside for having lunch/dinner. But,considering its proximity to almost all the major eateries of Darjeeling,getting food is not a problem at all (Glenary's,Keventer's,Kunga--these are all at a stone's throw distance). One can even get the food packed from somewhere else and then have it later, at the hotel room.
As said,the biggest advantage of the hotel is its location.So,those who want to stay near the MALL (the main place of Darjeeling) and the better mainained part of the town,this is a good choice as the main activities of this beautiful hill station & its colourful life can be seen from the hotel floor/window itself.If the sky is clear,then one can have the majestic view of the snowcapped Kanchenjungha from the Observatory Tower--which is located on the top floor of the hotel or from the garden side (on the backyard).We were lucky enough to view the unforgettable view on all the days that we had stayed there..
I would recommend rooms from 3rd floor onwards (the rooms starting with 43-48 nos.are not mall facing,but well maintained).
Some necessary info:
1) Mall being a no-driving/vehicle zone,one has to walk uphill to reach the hotel from the nearest Motor/taxi stand (located near Planter's club),but let me tell you this one-time walk is not that difficult.
2) Being an old property,the hotel doesn't have any elevator/lift,so those who have problem in climbing up stairs,should keep this in mind.
3) There is more scope for development regarding the overall maintenance & upkeep of the rooms and common areas of the hotel and also the service level.
Overall a very good place to stay at the rate, comfort and locational advantage that it provides!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Original Bellevue Hotel in Darjeeling. Traditional Tibetan hospitality at the heart of the Hill Station. Well-furnished rooms paneled in warm juniper and pine have attached bathrooms with running hot and cold water. Log fires are available in the guest rooms in winter. A beautiful garden graces the back of the building.An efficient and modern Internet Café at the ground floor of the Bellevue also provides free wireless Internet-Access for guests within the hotel. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Bellevue Hotel Darjeeling