“Good Accomodation”

Ranked #15 of 97 Hotels in Darjeeling
Bangalore
“Good Accomodation”
Reviewed 16 May 2008

Snow lion homestay is a very decent place to stay in Darjeeling. It is not commercialised and is very near to the shopping area.

The rooms are well maintained and the staff is very courteous.

Overall, we liked this place. We spent 4 nights in this homestay. I would definetly recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Liked — Courteous, friendly
  • Disliked — Breakfast - No variety and they supplied us in limited quantities.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shashi r

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
India
Reviewed 2 May 2008

The people at the Travel desk are totally hopeless and this is the thing which I would like the authorities to take care of. No manners to talk with the guest and understand their point of view. No endeavour to provide him best fare and best vehicle and we had to procure our car for site-seeing from outside the hotel which was economical as well as confortable. We were kept waiting for our car to go to Tiger Hill in the morning 3:15 a.m and ultimately which led to cancel our program and travel desk made no apologies also.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank richard007India
DarjeelingSnowlion, Owner at Snow Lion HomeStay, responded to this review, 4 May 2008
We don't have anyone registered under the name Richard who stayed during May 08 at Snowlion Homestay. Moreover, our Sight-Seeing file and rate list is kept in all our rooms as our rates are constant and not hiked-up according to the tourist season. The guest mentions that they used a car from outside so how is Snowlion Homestay responsible if the car does'nt turn up? We have well maintained MUV & SUV with polite and courteous drivers and many a guest of Snowlion Homestay will vouch for that. Ms.Sangeeta who handles the reception is extremely courteous and informative and I keep receiving very positive feedback about her. The guest has made no mention of our rooms and our facilities and yet labels the review as dump.I don’t understand why Snowlion Homestay has to be targerted.
Germany
Reviewed 3 April 2008

Im not quite sure what all the fuss is about this place. It is a good clean hotel, but nothing particularly special.

Firstly, the name 'HOMESTAY' is totally inappropriate. Although I believe a Tibetan family also lives in the building this is in no way obvious. I had booked this expecting to stay in a Tibetan home (i.e. Tibetan house- or atleast interiors and lots of contact with Tibetan people). This was entirely not the case. The building is a normal concrete structure of which the first floor has been converted into a hotel. There are NO VIEWS unless you walk up to the roof terrace. The rooms are big, with tvs and hot showers but dont expect a Tibetan feel (if you are lucky you will have a picture of something on the wall).

However I gave this hotel a 3 star because it is NOT BAD. Beyond the lack of ambience, there is nothing to complain about. The service was the best we have had in India so far (breakfast served whenever you want and free hot water bottles and toilet paper on request) and the beds are big and warm (important in Darjeeling).

I would totally recommend this hotel for their friendliness, cleanliness and quality of service. Just dont go expecting a Tibetan experience as I did, you will be disappointed.

• Liked — The Service
  • Disliked — The lack of Tibetan atmosphere.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GideonS
Bangalore
Reviewed 8 February 2008

Snow lion homestay is certainly the place to stay in Darjeeling if you are looking for mid-range accommodation.

Some of the many plus points of this place are:
a) It is closer to the centre of Darjeeling i.e. The Mall.
b) Easily accessible to most eating and shopping places in Darjeeling.
c) Very clean rooms with all the facilities promised on their website.
d) Room heater
e) Hot water all day round.
f) 3 blankets to beat the cold !
g) Hot water bags delivered promptly at night.
h) Extremely friendly and co-operative staff - nothing beats this !
i) Breakfast was substantial and good (although choice was limited)

As with many others, we too were gifted Tibetian scarves while checking out.

In a nutshell, it has all the positives of a homestay without forgoing on any of the advantages that a professional lodge / hotel has.

At Rs.1200 per night, this place is certainly recommended.

• Liked — Everything !
  • Disliked — That leaves nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sriniketana
Reviewed 6 December 2007

I have travelled five continents and I would recommend this hotel to freinds. The family were charming, made local arrangements for us, offered and gave us a very early wake up call and provided an authentic Tibetan meal one evening. On top of everything else I think it is well located in this marvellous hill town.

Pete, Caroline and Perry Stevens
Devon, UK

• Liked — freindly, convenient, stunning rooftop views
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank DevonEcologist
new south wales
Reviewed 3 November 2007

We were booked at snowlion by my daughter as a holiday treat and it turned out to be just that. right from the airport, we were received with kata which is like a silk scarf to the driver who was such a professional negotiating the hairpin turns with ease while smiling al the time. The hills are a sight to behold and the weather too played along. We arrived in the evening at the hotel and were cheerfully welcomed by sangeeta who is the receptionist. she looked after us all through our stay sometimes even went out of her way to accomodate our whims and fancies. she does everything from taking the food order, booking the toy train tickets,patiently explaning every query we had. It was our first time in darjeeling and was amazed at the multiple cultures which exists here.
the room was conviniently on the first floor and to be honest, i was pleasantly surprised to find it very neat and tidy. the bed itself was huge and thick warm blankets were a treat! overall, a very modern room. room service was prompt and breakfast was served in the family dining room upstairs. the lady who served us used to fuss over us and encourage us to have more..my husband who is already on the heavy side had a conscience prickling time. We throughly enjoyed our stay at snowlion and will cherish it for long...

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — cold weather
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank NewSouthWalesIsa
Mie
Reviewed 7 October 2007

I wonder if I was the only one who had problems with this hotel. As it was so highly recommended I booked for 5 days in September 2007, and paid 50% in advance....that may have been my mistake. During the negotiations everything was OK, I have exchanged e-mails with Mr. Gailly, who seemed to be very kind. I arrved at the hotel in a rainy day, and of course, I wanted to take a shower. I was advised to wait for some minutes, before starting my bath, and so I did. When I got to the room I noticed the view from my window was a wall. I asked for another room, and was informed that there weren't any others available. Preparing to my shower I had another surprise: the towels were all stained, not small spots, but long red lines, so I asked for new towels, and they were very fast to provide me other ones, but equally stained. So, I started taking the shower, in the beginning there was hot water, but after few minutes it was gone, and I started trembling because of the cold weather (13 degrees Celsius or less). Trying to find out which one was the hot faucet, suddenly the whole faucet fell down, and all the water came from the hole. I called the reception wearing only a towel, risking to catch a cold. They came immediately but could not solve the problem, they called a plumber. Meanwhile they offered me another room, which was probably closed for a long time, as all the linen was stained, and dirty, and smelling as well as the room itself.
When I talked to Mrs. Gailly (?), she replied that that was how things are in Darjeeling. Anyway, she changed the sheet, and offered me a hot water bag, which was nice. After the plumber had fixed the faucet, I returned to the previous room. The second day, no hot water again, a bucket of hot water was provided. So, on the third day, as they kept saying there weren't other available rooms (but there was a sign outside saying: rooms available), I moved to another hotel, and lost part of my advanced payment. I have to say there was an old gentleman, very kind, who gave me advice on sightseeing, that was a positive thing about the hotel. About Mr. Gailly, I have never seen his face.

• Disliked — no hot water
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled solo