“Best guesthouse in India!”
Review of Snow Lion HomeStay

Snow Lion HomeStay
Ranked #17 of 99 Hotels in Darjeeling
Reviewed 23 October 2009

Stayed for a week at Snow Lion. Solo backpacker. Had a fantastic stay.

Highlights:

Central location
Price/value for money - not too high compared to other guesthouses in Darjeeling and breakfast is included in the sitting room upstairs (eggs/omlette/jam/toast etc)
Staff are amazing - nothing is too much for them.
Hot water lasts longer than another place with '24 hour' hot water I stayed in in DJ - lasts a whole 10 mins at snow lion before the boiler needs to re-heat another lot
Views - from their rooftop terrace you can get a clear view of the himalayas in the mornings
Room - large, comfortable, spotless (almost), comfiest beds/pillows I've ever had in Asia.
TV - seems to be limitless channels
Staff will wake you up at 4am if the day is clear enough to go to Tiger Hill for sunrise
They haven't got a restaurant but you can get room service - not sure where from but the food was good and the price was OK (menu in room)

Lowlights

The cold (but they can't help that (and I think they will give you a hot water bottle if you ask)
If you are staying for a while you have to ask for your bin to be emptied / room cleaned
Only small bad points really.

Great place - one not to be missed. Made my stay in DJ so much more comfotable.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank Cambs_Running_Bear

Reviewed 19 July 2009

Trip was during slack time and hence very few guests at the hotel. Hotel is located in central area and easily accessible from railway station and taxi drivers know this place.

Rooms were clean, spacious and well maintained. Our room did not have a view and faced the building on opposite side of the street. We really did not miss the view because the weather had thick mist and visibility was a bit low.

Room service was quick and effective. The receptionist was responsive, courteous and gave inputs on sightseeing. Rates for local sightseeing tours were a bit pricey.

The hotel does not have a kitchen or travel desk. They depend on nearby restaurant. We have to order in advance and sometimes the food is cold by the time it reaches room.

Overall we had a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kaatss
Reviewed 22 June 2009

My sister & I (two 40+ year-old-women) stayed at Snow Lion during the Monsoon season. Tanzing is incredibly gracious. Pema is absolutely amazing. Also, the staff was right on! We had a front room and heard the Drummer each & every morning as she made her tantric rounds. Met the family, had lunch with Pema & Tanzing & learned of Tanzing's sojourn to Darjeeling in '59 w/ Dali Lama. We met Gilly, who was very nice. Pema took us to the Mother Teresa home. Quite a nice Home Stay in every sense of the word -- highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank VivienneWildes
Reviewed 30 May 2009

Mr Gailly runs a warm, clean and cosy little property which is very centrally located in Darjeeling. With a small but friendly staff, he ensures you have a nice, peaceful holiday at a very affordable cost. Would highly recommend this to anyone going with their family for a quiet holiday in charming Darjeeling.
Best Experience: the entire booking process, the clean and spacious rooms with breathtaking views of the mountains, the smiling and friendly staff, the eminently affordable food, most things about Snow Lion make u want to return there. the best before I forget is meeting the ever smiling Mr Gailly and getting the white tibetan scarves when u depart..

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank shulein
Reviewed 20 February 2009

My husband and I stayed at snow lion with our two friends and absolutely loved it , we arrived in darjeeling after a busy time in varanasai and a 20 hour train ride and a 3 hour jeep ride , we were met with incredible hospitality and this continued throughout our stay,. each morning we had a delicious breakfast made to our requirements and each evening hot water bottles forour bed and hot water for our tea. The owner and his wife made us feel like family and they treat their staff well. we will definetly return on our next trip to india.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank takeiteasytravel
Reviewed 23 January 2009

I am delighted to recommend this beautiful place in darjeeling for the homely environtment,comfort and the exemplary hospitality tendered to my family during our stay.
the room was very comfortable and had scenic picture frames on the walls. breakfast was good and wholesome. all details and photos on the website were correct to our great relief and the property location was ideal especially for us with kids.everything was as we hoped and more. we would love to go back there someday.

Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 December 2008

I have lived in a number of hotels before and although I have had mixed opinions of a number of them, Snow lion Homestay clearly stands out. The staff here are so courteous. They smiled and helped me whenever I needed any help. I lived here for 3 days with my family and I felt always at home. The rooms are amazing well adorned. Beautiful tibetean motifs add to the aura of this amazingly wonderful property. It was really cold during the days we visited and the staff brought us hot water bags.....I must say this is the first hotel that truly "delighted" me. They have their own private cars with chauffeurs to ferry you across the Darjeeling landscape. And the location...its close to "Chowrasta" which is the centre of Darjeeling...a number of wonderful restaurants are close by. I asked the very helpful reception lady (who is also the owner i think) about a particular restaurant and she promptly dispatched someone with us to ease our direction pains! Wow.....Great going and keep up the good work..Thanks for making my stay so beautiful....Cheers, Nishant from Mumbai

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family