“Very Bad”
Review of Snow Lion HomeStay

Snow Lion HomeStay
Ranked #15 of 98 Hotels in Darjeeling
Reviewed 16 March 2010

After reading top reviews on the internet, I booked Snow lion Homestay for me and my parents (for 2 days, double room with extra bed), without giving any second thought. Prior booking, the way hotel people conversed through mails was good. But when we reached there in the hotel, the experience was terrible. The room was very small, smelly, no view outside. The blankets were dirty and to top that, they had arranged a folding bed (not cot) as an extra bed. Well, somehow we grasped it; I decided to take a bath, there were no hot running water and I waited for half an hour for hot water, from the geyser…oh I came to know that the geyser was not working properly.

My father asked for early bed tea as we had plans for tiger hills next day morning, the hotel people simply denied for the bed tea so early. Staff was very cold.

The only mistake we made was the advance payment. We somehow spent a dreadful night in the hotel and then shifted to Hotel Shangri-La Regency the very next day.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank osheen_aries
There are newer reviews for Snow Lion HomeStay

Reviewed 29 January 2010

This was our final stop in India, and the hotel went a long way to restoring our sense of calm after Northern India. The breakfasts are tasty, the breakfast room view of Kanchenchunga is breathtaking. Their support of our exploration (jeep available to lots of destinations, very good rates) was wonderful. The location is 5 minutes from the roundabout in the mall, allowing easy access to up and downhill destination. They gave good advice about which routes to walk and which to catch a taxi. And the water bottles in bed at night were just bliss.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 January 2010

I spent my last night in India at Snow Lion Homestay so decided to "splash out" a little (it was a fair bit more expensive than the budget places i had been staying). I was so happy with my decision, because it was luxurious. After 5 weeks of having hard beds to sleep on, the bed was not only massive, but it was sooooo comfortable! It was really clean and warm too. One complaint is that the hot shower only lasted for about 2 minutes so very difficult to wash my hair. Other than that, the little room up the top for breakfast was very cute and breakfast was delicious.
Really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Adventuregirl986
Reviewed 19 January 2010

Trip was very enjoyable. Unfortunately we could not get to see the sunrise over Tiger Hill. Nice place to relax. The hotel was very good and so was the service.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 January 2010

We stayed at SnowLion for 3 nights in December. The rooms were small but clean. Our room had a small space heater that only somewhat warmed the room. We were provided hot water bottles at night for the bed that really stayed warm all night long. They were still pretty hot in the morning. This helped battle the cold while we were sleeping but while we were awake we were chilly. I think all the budget hotels in Darjeeling are like this. We didn't find heat anywhere in India so make sure to bring warm clothes!

Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2009

We combined a trekking with a stay in Snow Lion Homestay.
Perfect place to feel real Tibetan hospitality. Correct prices and payment (Paypall 50% in advance).
The hotel suggested us to do the trekking with Nawang's Trek - www.nawangtrek.com-
The small Sonam Bhutia from Nawang's Trek has a very small restaurant on Robertson rd. and gives great trekking service at 50% of the big trekking agencies!!
After 12 years travelling all over India I can assure you that this was a perfect combination in Darjeeling.
Herman Vercoutter, Leuven, Belgium

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 December 2009

I booked few months ago - made deposit using PayPal.
The owner, Mr. Gaily is a very nice man - few days prior to arrival, he sent an e-mail saying his driver will pick us at the airport.
The Hotel is very cozy with hot water 24 hours a day - we booked 2 rooms and were provided with heaters. I liked the heaters so much that I wanted to give one to my aunt.
Mr. Gaily sent one of his staff members to buy one - a long walk.....
The Staff is very nice and provide prompt service. I was even allowed to use Mr Gaily's laptop to get on the internet. EXCELLENT OWNER and Priced right - Good breakfast!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family