“good experiance”

Hotel Sonar Bangla - Darjeeling
Ranked #24 of 99 Hotels in Darjeeling
Reviewed 6 January 2014

It was good, comfort & location wise it was at right place, I would like to use same hotel in case of other visiting places in India, hoping it will be nice experience in other places as well. overall it was nice at Darjeeling.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip
1  Thank Kamlesh Kumar P

Reviewed 28 December 2013

It was really a wonderful experience staying there. I've been to Darjeeling many times before. I think this was the best amongst all my stay there in Darjeeling. Specially in pick winter season when basic amenities like room heater, hot water, clean and cosy room etc. becomes a necessity. I was satisfied with the services provided by the hotel. Moreover, mall was not far away from the hotel, just a walkable distance. this time i visited Darjeeling without booking a hotel, however i read couple of reviews about the hotel in tripadvisor and that was helpful.On reaching Darjeeling we tried this hotel and luckily got a room for a night at the top floor with good mountain view. Next day we moved to aother room on the same floor.

Room tip: try to book a top floor super delux room from there you will get a good mountaim view. also it's not very expensive compred to other hotel near mall. Market is also near near by - lots of options with shopping & food. Another good thing about this hotel is car pickup and drop available from hotel's door step - no need to look for a porter to move your luggage.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Samit M
Reviewed 25 December 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Subhankar M
Reviewed 27 October 2013

In October-2012 I went to Darjeeling with my family for a holiday and styed in Sonar Bangla. I did the booking online. Very good hotel and it had a perfect location just below the Mall. Kanchenjungha was clearly visible from the hotel window and the balcony. Room service was excellent. Manager was very soft spoken and literally helped me in planning all my site seeing trip and Tiger hill view-point. I planned to go to Kalimpong but had to cancell the trip in the mid-way as both my wife and son was puking badly. Payment was already done but the manager helped me to get 50% of the car fare back as the trip was cancelled. My son liked the hotel very much and I remember he was in tears when we were cecking out of the hotel. Would recomend travellers to stay in Sonar Bangla hotel if they are visiting Darjeeling, you will get more than your money's worth. Hospitality was really good.

Room Tip: Take the rooms on 1st floor and above to get Kanchenjungha view provided the sky is clear.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Manish_10_1976
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

I have recently stayed with my family in this hotel. We were thoroughly disappointed with the rooms, the cleanliness of the hotel and the service rendered. In our two days of stay no staff came to clean the rooms. When we complained about the rooms smelling bad, they tried to cover it up first and then shifted us to another room which is of lesser value but charged us the same. The kettle to make tea in the morning smelt so bad that we had to order tea from the kitchen though the tea in the room was supposed to be complimentary. Overall I would not recommend this for its bad service.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank Sammychanda
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I stayed with my family and booked two view room there. The room was not big enough and you could not move properly. After couple of hour there was a bad smell all over the room. we called the hotel staff and they spread room freshner, but it was of no use, after some time they shifted us to another room but it was not a view room. The food was average. The location of the hotel is good.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank 691BINAYAK
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We stayed at this place for couple of days in July this yr. Booked this hotel after doing some homework :) The intent was to stay at a reasonable cost and that objective was met.

Pluses of the stay experience:
Good breakfast options (hot/ cold/ continental/ indian)
Decent location
Many restaurants and shops close by
Decent room service response time

Minuses:
First tip: do not book your sight seeing tours for darjeeling from this hotel. They fleece you :( At least 1.5 times more than the usual cost and the drivers try to cut corners in each attraction by giving you less time to see the place.

Rooms are tacky and could do with a little more hand-grease to maintain them

So overall for the non-fussy traveller type - this place is 3 on 5 only for stay purposes

Room Tip: No elevators in this place. Better off choosing a room on ground or first floor
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple