“Calcutta not easy to get a good place to stay this was ok.”
Review of Hotel Wellesley

Hotel Wellesley
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Hotel Wellesley
Ranked #216 of 224 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

This was my second hotel in Calcutta. You won't find a great cheap hotel here. This place is pretty good, rooms are clean and staff were nice to me. Food I think is from the street but super tasty and cheap! Only downside was when I left the staff knocked on my door asking for tips. Tips are not to be asked for. If I left a tip I should do because I want to. Not because I feel bullied into it. Also the pay day by day thing is annoying! !no other hotel in Indian does this , overall it was good. Just don't ask for tips. It's a bit rude

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank kellystravel

Reviewed 6 March 2014

I am writing this review almost a year after I stayed in the place. I was in Calcutta for a quiz organised by the Tatas and they had arranged a one nights stay for us at the Taj. We however wanted to check the city out and decided to stay for an extra day. Needed something near Park street so checked into this hotel.

The only good thing about the place is that it is close to Park street. About a kilometre. Everything else goes downhill once you enter the room. The AC room we stayed in was small and damp and there was a constant odour which did not go even after we used up substantial amount of our deodorants trying to get ride of it. The bathroom was cramped with a pillar inside. A heater that looked so ancient that an electric shock looked imminent every time we tried to use it. The sheets and blankets were unclean as well.

I have not really checked out a lot of other Calcutta hotels, but at the price we paid(Rs.1300 for the AC room per night), I am certain there would be a lot of other places you could try.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Pranjal K
Reviewed 29 January 2014

The dirtiest hotel ever!!! There was no lock on the door pillows bed sheets and everything else was stained! Even the walls must have been stained but it was just that they were white! No hot water smells of booze and blood if some other variant! The worst hotel ever! Only reason why we stayed was because it was in the early morning and we were dead tired to after a 28 hour trip! Moved out in a few hours!

• Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank JDkhar
Reviewed 28 September 2013

they don't provide wi-fi as it said. And they do not have water heater. Dusty, and the food was lame! the building was fine, but it wasn't clean enough. However, it was still much better than everything outside. I mean, it's Kolkata you know. The only good thing about this hotel was : air - con. I wasn't even sure the sheets were clean..

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 December 2012

We had to sleep their for a night with bed bugs as we were not finding any hotel at the evening. The blankets were very dirty and smelly. It seems, they take advantage of tourist who have no option but to stay for a night. I don't think, no one stays for a second night! Just never get confused with glasses outside the building.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BD_Traveller2011
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Its the dirtiest worst hotel ever. Standard A/C room was 1300 Rs and the reception/entrance was misleadingly well maintained. The room is very dirty. There are bed bugs. Bathroom was the worst with a colony of rats on the false ceiling. Hard to get in/out after midnight. After 20 hours of journey, we checked in around midnight dead tired, held our breath till dawn and checked out at the earliest possible. I have stayed in cheaper hotels (Hotel Oriental nearby, Rs 1000 for standard A/C room) but this place is outright creepy.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MehrinShahed
Reviewed 3 September 2012

After arriving in Kolkata railway station from Dhaka , the taxi driver took us to that hotel. Later I came to know that , hotel management has the contract with the taxi driver to bring poor travelers here. This place is inside one of the dirtiest place in kolkata. There are no hotels nearby where u can eat food. Room is terrible . dirty toilet , dirty bed cover . Only the towel provided was ok. I just stayed one night. The day time we went out , hotel staffs came to our room and started working with the AC without our permission. We were shifted to another room. Price is cheap . If you bring your wife , dont think to bring her here. You can find hotel behind new market which is very nice.We shifted to one of them later

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family