“Complete value for money if you're on a budget !”
Review of Mangalam Hotel

Mangalam Hotel
Ranked #150 of 224 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Mumbai
“Complete value for money if you're on a budget !”
Reviewed 22 June 2011

Hotel Mangalam is a relatively new hotel ; just about a 15 minute ride away from the very well known Park Street. The small hotel itself looks neat. The staff is attentive and helpful.

We checked in to our executive room, not large but good enough to accommodate 3 individuals with an extra bed. The beds were extremely comfortable with crisp linens and soft pillows. The room service is quick. The bathrooms are relatively big and clean.

The hotel has just one restaurant – with an extensive menu though. The food is relatively good. The breakfast buffet is not an extravagant spread. A choice of continental and Indian breakfast; with either South Indian or Punjabi dish on a rotational basis.

The hotel is extremely simple hence one must not go with a fancy picture in mind. The hotel is value for money with good basic facilities. We had no complains.

Room Tip: advance booking since the hotel is small
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Hotel Mangalam - Kolkata
we chk in on the 7th april for 4 nights stay .....we took a deluxe room tht they have.since it could fit it one more extra bed ...the hotel is very economically priced and it also had breakfast included in it .the hotel is centrally located in the area of sarat bose road .it is around 45 minutes drive from the airport .thet have buffet breakfast for the guests it is mainly southindian food and milk and flakes and toast also with fresh juices. the hotel staff was quite polite and helpful.nxt to the hotel couple of steps away is located the lakshmi narayan mandir .and on the opp side of the hotel there is a famous dhaba (food joint) called jai hind dhaba...it is according to me the onli place open for food till 2.30 am in the morning .if this place was not there we would be staying hungry at night .this restuarant has excellent punjabi and chinese cuisine.and they also serve dinner to the hotel room.the rooms at the hotel are small but it is well equiped with fridge n all...the bathrooms are decent with new shower fittings and all.the beds are also comfortable.this hotel is very reasonably prised as compared to other hotels in the same area.i would again go back to this place and stay when i am there for business.its price factor and central locality will pull me back to the hotel.

3 Thank pravet
Bhubaneswar, India
Reviewed 3 June 2011

I stayed there during a business trip. The room was booked by the company.We reached late in the night and had just gone out for dinner in a dhaba infront of the hotel when we saw smoke coming out from the hotel.The staff cooperated and swaung into action and called the fire bridage immediately who controlled the fire.
Not a safe hotel to stay.The staff was cooperative and locals gave all help.The GM or owner did not showup to take care of the Guests.In the middle og night guest vacated the rooms and were left to themselves for all transfer arrangements.

2 Thank bchanduka

Travellers are raving about these Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels

Euless, Texas
Reviewed 5 May 2011

In September of 2010 I spent 6 nights at Hotel Mangalam on the Sarat Bose Road near the centre of Kolkata. I am a frequent visitor to the city and am always looking for a good but economical hotel. After reading a printed review I decided to give the Mangalam a try and I was pleasantly surprised.
Booking a room was easily accomplished online and I was even able to pay for the room in advance which I found to be a great help in balancing my trip budget,
Check-in was a breeze and I was taken to a room on the top floor which faced the interesting neighborhood directly behind the hotel.
The room was an Executive-type and was spacious. There was a king-sized bed, writing desk and chair, armoir, and a small table and chair with tea maker. A refrigerator was located next to desk and broadband internet was available upon request.
Complimentary breakfast was served every morning at the Radhekrishna Restaurant on the ground floor. The breakfast was always an an excellent buffet which often featured southern Indian dishes. If I was working in my room in the morning and had not yet appeared for breakfast the staff would ring my room to remind me to come downstairs to the restaurant. I found that to be a nice touch.
Room and bathroom were always maintained and well-cleaned. Laundry service was quick and economical.
The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel is situated near the Laxmi Narayan temple on Sarat Bose Road and good shopping, cinema and Metro station (Rabindra Sadan) are all within walking distance, although taxis are plentiful on this busy street.
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Hotel Mangalam and look forward to staying there on my next trip to Kolkata.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Paul H
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 25 February 2011

After great struggle found one reasonably good hotel in Kolkatta. Rooms were clean, TV, room service everything fine. Only problem was with breakfast. Very few items served and restaurant also didnt had many varieties for the dinner. Its comfortable to stay but not for food.

Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Sweet_Rams
orlando, florida
Reviewed 31 December 2010

It was cold and it was almost midnight and I didn't have a place to stay. I was on a scooter, driving, looking for a place to stay. I found this hotel open and asked for a room. The manager was friendly and we negotiated a deal (a bit of a discount over published rate).

The room was clean. I had hot water for a shower. The bathroom was clean and nice. The bed was typical of Kolkata hotel; a bit thin and small. But it wasn't rock hard and it was clean. Room was quiet. Woke up and had breakfast buffet which was good and included in the room price.

Overall, it's a decent value for the mid-priced hotel. There aren't that many mid priced hotels in Calcutta. I tried to stay there for my next visit, but the hotel was completely booked.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Bangkok
Reviewed 17 April 2010

I'm a frequent visitor to India and the only thing that bothers me in the country are the usually overpriced hotels (at least in the major cities). I've stayed in hundreds of hotels in India, so I have a bit of experience in that area. Too many hotels are a letdown.

In April 2010 I ended up at Hotel Mangalam for a 5 day stay, more or less by accident, as I had planned to stay at Hotel Gardenia (due to good internet reviews), but my taxi happened to stop a few meters past Gardenia right in front of Hotel Mangalam. So I thought, why not give it a try.

I'm happy I did give it a try. I took one of the more expensive rooms (2500 Rs. plus 5% tax) and the room was large, very clean and well-equipped, with broadband internet, fridge and TV. Despite being located on a busy road, my room (at the back) was very quiet and I couldn't hear the ubiquitous honking.
Minor quibbles would be that the room could have been a bit brighter (there is only one bed-table lamp instead of two), and the curtains could be thicker and darker, so that early morning light wouldn't wake you up. Breakfast (veg) is included in the price, and though tasty enough, the choice is very limited. Service was unfailingly friendly and polite, when an air conditioner in my room stopped working I was shifted to another room without any fuss.

Bottomline: Compared to all other hotels that I've stayed in in Kolkata, I was quite happy with what I got for my money and on my next trip to Kolkata will definitely stay at Mangalam again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo