“Change of Review”

The Lalit Great Eastern Kolkata
Ranked #6 of 219 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
“Change of Review”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The Hotel volunteered to check it out again,which I did,and I must say,they changed my opinion to positive owing to the re training of staff and check in now happens absolutely in an efficient manner and I change my earlier opinion.

Room Tip: Rooms on left wing
1 Thank Hemant2014
RakeshMitra, General Manager at The Lalit Great Eastern Kolkata, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Namaskar!

We are grateful to you for giving us a second chance and showing us the way towards improvement. We appreciate you taking time to review your experience at The Lalit Great Eastern. Your valuable feedback is of utmost importance to us. Its through your feedback that we could assess the situation and could implement necessary changes.
We are overwhelmed with the fact that we at The Lalit Great Eastern could manage to deliver the services matching your expectation and were able to reinstill confidence on product and service of The Lalit Great Eastern.

I would like to thank you again for your feedback. Your review and appreciation for our services has been conveyed to all. We at The Lalit Great Eastern are pleased to read your gracious compliments. We look forward to welcome you back soon!

Rakesh Mitra

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The trip to Kolkata is something cherishable. And The Lalit holds the most credit. The hospitality of the hotel staffs was incredible. The Alfresco Restaurant serves tasty foods and The Wilsons has a very classy ambience. The Legacy Lounge is very beautiful and the Bakery has got the tint of vintage looks. Overall the hotel is well maintained and provides a friendly environment.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
RakeshMitra, General Manager at The Lalit Great Eastern Kolkata, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Namaskar!

Thank you for visiting The Lalit Great Eastern Kolkata. We appreciate you taking time out to review your experience at The Lalit Great Eastern. We at The Lalit Great Eastern are delighted with your words of appreciation. Your valuable feedback is of utmost importance to us. It is these motivating words from our esteemed and valued guests like you that gives us an opportunity to go extra miles and enhance and refine our processes to achieve customer delight.
I would like to thank you again for your overwhelming feedback. Your review and appreciation for our services has been conveyed to all. We at The Lalit Great Eastern are pleased to read your gracious compliments. We look forward to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I visited the hotel just for a business meeting (staying in another hotel booked by my office). Due to some last minute change my colleagues informed they will be late for an hour. I had no choice but to wait for them in hotel lobby. As I entered the hotel, all staff welcomed warmly. While waiting for my friends in lobby hotel staff came and offered a much needed glass of water. She told me about the history of the hotel quite impressed with the renovation.

I then went to Alfresco theme white was great with the glass ceiling, loved the ambiance. After the meeting with my colleagues we went to The Bakey, sandwiches were great. In my next visit to Kolkata I will definitely stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 28 July 2014

i happened to use this property twice over 4 days in the last week. firstly, the property has been done up brilliantly by Lalit and kudos for that. the rooms are spacious, the A/C however makes too much noise and the room does not feel to have the right temparature. what really puts you off is the service. the first time around my suitcase took 15 minutes to come and i was kept being told it is coming. in the second instance i get a wake up call at 6:30 despite not having asked for it and having checked in at 00:30 am in the night. 1 hour later someone rings the bell to ask if i want to check out, 1 hour later the in-room dining calls to take feedback on a non existent order. while the manager and the other people started to apologize will need a lot of courage to go back there given the choices coming up. worst is from a business stay no free wifi

Room Tip: carry your own bags to the room please !!!!
5 Thank gparija
RakeshMitra, General Manager at The Lalit Great Eastern Kolkata, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Namaskar!

Thank you for visiting The Lalit Great Eastern Kolkata. We appreciate you taking time out to review your experience at The Lalit Great Eastern. Your feedback is of utmost importance to us and helps us in assessing our hospitality standards. We are glad to know of your appreciation for the timeless legacy which the decor of The Lalit Great Eastern exudes.
Your opinion matters to us and we apologize for not meeting your expectations. Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our mission and the brand standards of The Lalit Suri Hospitality Group. Its unfortunate that we were not our best that day. However, the concierge is usually efficient and is very quick with luggage handling. We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. We assure you a hassle-free and a glitch-less stay on your next visit to The Lalit Great Eastern. We have taken up this matter and have conducted few internal aduits to ensure that such incidents never happen again. My colleagues, Resident Manager - Mr. Dilip Mishra and Front Office Manager - Rajesh Ghosh have also met you to personally apologize and assure you about a glitch-free stay on your next visit to The Lalit Great Eastern.

We hope to see you soon!

Warm Regards
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I booked this hotel because it is the less expensive of the two preferred properties of my employer (a major USA science/technology company). Like all hotels in India, the hospitality upon arrival is way too over the top. I always prefer to just get my key, find my room on my own, open my own doors, carry my own bags, etc. However, its unavoidable.

My experience overall is mixed. The room was spacious and clean. The property is recently renovated so I wouldn't expect anything less. The bed was comfortable and I slept very well. However, the A/C seemed underpowered, as it could never reach the set temperature. Overall the property is in excellent condition and is a great facility in this city.

The hotel itself is in a very convenient location to tourist and business sites.

I ate dinner in the hotel on one of the two nights I was there. The manager of the restaurant went out of his way to make sure I was happy, but again, too intrusive. They were featuring "Kashmiri" cuisine on the buffet, so I tried it. The flavors of some dishes were good but many of the items were of mediocre quality. Afterwards, I wished I had ordered a la carte instead. Breakfast was of considerably lower quality, but since it was included in my rate, I can't complain. I actually skipped it on my second day in favor of waiting for the airplane food.

The hotel arranged a car for me to tour some of the sights around Calcutta. The price was a more than an A/C cab would have cost by the meter, but for the convenience, I went with it. They charge by the hour, so make sure if you spill over at all into the next hour, use it up. I went 4hrs and 20min, but they charged me for five hours.

When I checked out, I asked for a car to the airport. They were going to charge INR2500 for what was a 20 minute trip at that time of day. They even refused to call an A/C cab as "it is too cheap." I actually asked him to repeat that and the desk agent said "Yes, you have to book the A/C cab yourself because it is too cheap". Very disappointing service. I walked down the street and rode in a yellow cab for about INR200.

If I come back to Calcutta, I'm going to try out the other preferred property.

8 Thank clingermanml
Namaskar!

Thank you for visiting The Lalit Great Eastern Kolkata and sharing your kind words for our hotel. We appreciate you taking time out to share a detailed review of your experiences at The Lalit Great Eastern. Your feedback is of utmost importance to us and helps us in assessing our hospitality standards. As per the brand standards of The Lalit Suri Hospitality Group, we ensure limitless hospitality to our guests. In our bid to ensure and match guests expectation , our attempts might have seemed to be intrusive. My sincere apologies for the same. We respect guests' privacy and we have taken it up with our team to ensure the same is practised.

We have taken up your feedback with our culinary team on the breakfast spread and we are assessing the same internally to explore the possibility of improvising on it further.

We regret your facing inconvenience at the concierge desk. There has been a certain miscommunication in booking the cab. The in-charge meant to say that booking an outside cab might not be of the desired standard and wanted to avoid any kind of inconvenience for you during travel. Please accept my sincere apologies for causing you discomfort with the choice of words. We have taken this up with our training department to ensure guest sensitization. We have also taken up your feedback on cab charges and we are working on options of repacking the charges to avoid discripencies.

We hope you will give us a second chance to improvise. Thank you once again for your valuable feedback. We look forward to your visit again and ensure a great stay at The Lalit Great Eastern.

Warm Regards
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Services are great!This hotel has been done up so elegantly by Lalit group.
I loved the interiors all in white and a beautiful mix of old heritage with new.
All the staff is at their best personalized services making us feel so special.The view of old Kolkata lanes from their fitness center is an added attraction.
I recommend this hotel to all visiting Kolkata.

Room Tip: A newly renovated hotel and so all the rooms are beautifully done up specially the corner ones with...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
RakeshMitra, General Manager at The Lalit Great Eastern Kolkata, responded to this review, 28 July 2014

Mumbai
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Wow.... everything was excellent....rooms were quite huge... personalized services provided .....excellent dinning experience....had cooperative staff....every need was been taken care from enter to hotel till exit on check out....will return back to same hotel on my next visit to Kolkotta....Highly recomended...:)

Room Tip: Highly Recomended hotel for leisure or buisness traveller.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
RakeshMitra, General Manager at The Lalit Great Eastern Kolkata, responded to this review, 24 July 2014