“Disappointed”
Review of Hotel Galaxy

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Hotel Galaxy
Reviewed 25 May 2014

On the 15th of May I've made a phone call to booked a room for 23rd of May. They told me single AC room for 800 rupees is reserved/booked. When I came on 23th May. At the reception desk they ask me what nationality I am, I told them I am Indian ( even though I don't live in India I came to visit my country and I am from northeast india) they said to me room is not available. I was very very disappointed I booked this hotel just because of the good review but I realize most ( not all) reviews are from foreigners ( have no problem with foreigners or any colour). Because of this situation I have to run around to looked for a hotel on a hot and humid day. Hope they will improved with Indians as well.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Fanai5

Reviewed 23 May 2014

This room was probably the cleanest we've had in India. We're mostly budget travelers but this time of the year we had to have AC, this building gets hot! Our room was new and the lights were very nice, bathroom was new and clean. We paid around Rs 900. The hotel is near the center, you have good food, new market and a beer bar very close. Staff is very friendly and holds your luggage till your departure (and you can use the shared toilet). Good option in Kolkata!

Room Tip: Room 16 is new and nice.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed in the room by the office for 4 nights and can't fault it. The room was clean and the staff were friendly and helpful.

This place is really good value for money and just off Sudder Street where there are cafés with free wifi.

Only downside was being asked for tips when checking out.

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 8 days. Room is great with AC and hot water. Spacious and comfortable. But a staff, who i saw him for the first time in these 8 days, started to ask for tip one day before we check out. It was late in evening and we just got back from mother house, super tired and badly need to shower but he just kept on koncking at the door for money. Sooo annoying. I dont mind tipping before i leave but hate to be forced to tip!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
hotelgalxy_kol, Owner at Hotel Galaxy, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Guest

We have read your complaint about the staff of our hotel for demand of tip from you.

We are extremely sorry that you had faced a problem while staying in our hotel.

We had made a proper inquiry to pin point the staff who has done such wrong thing with you. The boy who knocked to your room door for demand of top is the sweeper who come for part time cleaning in the evening time and he comes only in the evening that is reason that you have not seen him before the incident.

We have given strong warning to him so that in future no such incident of tip demand is repeated by him.

We apologies for this wrong incident.

Regards
HOTEL GALAXY

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Lots of volunteers stay here. Place to meet people with the same target in Kolkata.
Rooms are just fine. The best thing is that it is like your home. Harry always helps everybody. And you can leave all your valuables safely. Thanks for everything!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank puffa76
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Great hotel. Very cheap, theirs hot water and seconds away from wi-fi cafes. My room was a double AC and i have no complaints atall. Book in advance if you can as its very popular. If your going when Holi Festival of colour is going to be on then your be in a great location as your right next to the main street and the dancing and music actually goes right passed the hotel. The staff and management are very helpful. If you have any problems just ask Harry the manager for help. Its also located 20mins walk away from the Mother Teresa House so if your thinking of volunteering its a good place to be staying. Its also walking distance to the river, Victoria memorial and India museum. Theirs market stools very close by if you wanted to do any shopping. Theirs lots of travelers staying in this hotel so theirs plenty of opportunity to meet new people and also meet the locals. Yoga classes are on in the morning i went to a class and loved it. Again just ask the staff for details their always happy to help

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 March 2014

This is a very inexpensive hotel and while it doesnt provide any luxuries it does provide all the basics you need. Ive stayed in far more expensive places and still not managed to get hot water so I was impressed with the great hot water supply here. My room had a fair bit of mould but like I said i still think you cant complain when you get a room at this exceptional price. It was in a great location, we felt safe and the owners were very polite. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends