Hotel Sunshine
Hyatt Regency Kolkata(Kolkata (Calcutta))
US$116
Hotels.com
The Oberoi Grand(Kolkata (Calcutta))
US$205
US$164
Oberoi Hotels
Swissotel Kolkata(Kolkata (Calcutta))
US$98
US$94
Kenilworth Hotel, Kolkata(Kolkata (Calcutta))
US$126
US$105
Agoda.com
The Park Kolkata(Kolkata (Calcutta))
US$183
US$120
  • Breakfast included
Taj Bengal Kolkata(Kolkata (Calcutta))
US$183
Taj Hotels
  • Pool
The Peerless Inn(Kolkata (Calcutta))
US$167
US$76
Sapphire Suites(Kolkata (Calcutta))
US$65
US$111
US$98
  • Pool
Vedic Village Spa Resort(Kolkata (Calcutta))
US$89
US$80
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stay one night in this hotel, but problem is communication and food,
This hotel located in Chandni market,
there bathroom is not good, shower broken,
i m not recommend.. but its a cheap hotel
batter you try in new market area like mirza galib road, park road near fire brigade

Room Tip: deluxe room chose
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip
Reviewed 25 August 2013

1st - There are bed bugs which don't allow you a good sleep.Even after 3 days bed bugs are coming out from my wife's hair.
2ndly - Bathroom is not properly cleaned & the flow of water is too low & takes more than 30 minutes to fill up a bucket.
3rd - Location is not too easy to find.They states that it is in Park Street but actually its not in Park Street but its in Chadni Chowk & the nearest metro is Esplanade.If someone is new to this place will surely fumble.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip
1  Thank Subhojyoti S
Reviewed 8 January 2013

I booked this hotel using a promo from a site and saved 2500Rs. I stayed in a similarly priced hotel in Varanasi with no problem, but not only did the site fail to help me, the hotel has essentially stolen my money through a loophole. I will point out a few things right now: I am not conducting research and not touring, so wasting my time with nonsense is even worse, as I don't have extra funds or time to throw away; and the same people own Hotel Diplomat. I should not have taken a chance, hoping for the best.

Location:
They claim it is on Park Street, though it is listed as Lenin Sarani and is actually in Chandani Chowk. If a place can't even shoot straight about the location, that should tell you something. Good luck find anything around here, unless you're looking for people sleeping on the sidewalk, gutters filled with human waste, or rave light displays. It's just block after block of electronics stores, street food, and nothingness, and, after dusk, people sleep on the platforms used in the day to sell food. Uh, this is not Park Street proper (which is where I am actually typing this review from, in the comfort of a clean, decent hotel).

The hotel itself is down an alley and up two flights, then they have a few flights of their own. Upon entering the stairs leading from the alley up, you will notice a great deal of filth. Paan spit is on the walls, rails, and anywhere it could be. Keep reading for more exciting paan spit locations. After you have hauled your own luggage through the filthy alley (which contains workshops of artisans, thus saw dust, clay tea cups, random trash, and, if I had to take a guess, human waste), you will be hauling your bags up the stairs yourself, as well. The staff are more concerned with watching TWO televisions at once than helping you with anything.

My flight had been delayed and my prepaid taxi had a really hard time finding this place, as he seemed to get different directions each time he called. We finally found it around dusk, and I really had no choice but to stay at least for tonight, as Calcutta taxi drivers are just waiting for someone like me to take advantage of.

The room (203, I believe):
The room was filthy. I have never seen anything like this in my life. Every available surface was covered in a layer of something. The light switches were filthy from years of dirty hands touching; the bedside table had a film of grey grime; behind the headboard, you could see the coating of dust so thick, it could have been a blanket, itself; the TV and the stand containing it were dirty from disuse and lack of attention; the back of the door to the actual room had white mildew; the corners of the floor had years of filth shoved into them; the bathroom door was molded and the lip of the floor showed overflow stains; the toilet had a ring, as well as the actual device being dirty; the bathroom walls were covered in pink, white, and black mold (Neopolitan is only good for ice cream); I thought there was a freakish, ghostlike spider hiding in a very thick web near the ceiling, but it ended up being an ancient paan spit stain, still under a web so thick it looked like a dryer sheet; there was black mold growing on the mirror in the room, which baffles me; and there was paan spit on the walls, parts of the ceiling, and the only (florescent and extremely loud) light bar in the room.

Paan spit on the LIGHT. Yeah, it's like that.

The bathroom:
Due to the extreme and horrifying nature of this filth, I was hesitant to use the bathroom. The toilet tank was being held up with thin plastic straps and all the pipes in the room were bared and held together with bits of string and other things one should not use for plumbing. The sink sat precariously on a ledge which was poorly fashioned out of cheap cement and the first time I turned the water on, it teetered precariously. The water was but a trickle from the sink and I didn't bother with the shower or other faucet. The drain in the sink was black with growth and slow from who knows what, as well. I had been told I would be supplied with buckets of hot water for bathing on request, but the bucket I had in the bathroom, in which I would mix the hot and cold water to bathe or do laundry, was unsurprisingly covered in mold. This would not only stop me from bathing, but I also do bucket laundry when I'm here, so no clean clothes, either. I was not provided a towel and the floor mat appeared to have been older than the building itself, so I already knew a shower or bucket bath, any cleaning of my person, was simply out of the question.

The amount of mold in the room actually caused an allergic reaction, which is rare in me, but I could feel my throat burning and my eyes watering. When I had initially seen the room, I tried to explain that it was unsatisfactory. I ended up talking to the owner who instructed the person showing me to change the sheets, which were stained all over with what the guy claimed was "iron rust," but appeared to be, uh... paan spit. Instead of cleaning the bathroom, I was told I would be shifted rooms in the morning.

A bit on staff and patrons:
The one night I stayed there (of eight that I booked), the entire remainder of the floor was booked to way too many guests. Children and adults alike would bang on doors, shouting from room to room, laughing at me when I would decline their knocks or urge them to be quiet. The staff did nothing. This went on until about 2am and restarted about 5am. None of the staff speak English but for a few words, which is ultimately unhelpful, especially since they advertise on sites catering to Western travelers. The owner assured me that that drove of loud patrons were only there a single night, so this would no longer be a problem. His English is quite good, though he is not very polite.

Bed bugs and getting ill:
The next day I woke up with a rash on my hip and wrist, as well as three bed bug bites on my neck, and another (quite deep) on my other wrist. This happened, even though I had put down my shawl to sleep on and used my own blanket. I can't imagine what would have happened if I had decided to sleep on their bedding, proper.

That very night I tried to avail a different hotel through the site I had booked Hotel Sunshine, but was told all hotels in Calcutta were booked up, which is impossible (and their own page said otherwise). I booked into another hotel instead of dealing with the apologetic, yet repetitive phone staff or the owner, who is obviously more concerned with money than the health of his patrons.

Some on the owner and the staff:
The next day, I felt ill. As I am aware of how this particular site's promotions work, I asked the owner only to reimburse me 3000Rs (had he done this, he would have gotten to keep almost the same amount for a single night's stay and gotten to rent the room to hooligans, as per usual), when I know he was getting almost double that, and he told me I had to deal with the site. When I would tell him that I had spoken to them already, and they had told me I had to speak to him, he would just talk over me. He then told me he would call the site support staff and get back to me. I went and collected my things and found that if I had tried to use their cheap, shabby lock, it would not have closed, as it was rusted open.

I imagine their usual clientele, judging from the lodgings and the guests, who had to have been five per room, the night before, is usually incredibly poor, hence the numbers and the attitude. Anyway, I went and tried to get one of the staff to help me check out and get a cab, as I didn't want to go onto one of the main street dragging my luggage behind. Instead of helping me at all, the guy flipped channels with a friend between two TVs and periodically nodded at me or put one finger up, as if to indicate anything at all would happen in a moment. Cricket AND Indian soaps in tandem... really? Eventually, I left, as I was feeling worse and worse and wanted to be gone by noon so they could not claim I had been there two days. I dragged my suitcases down the stairs to the street and was helped by some guys working at the electronic store at the end of the alley to get an autorickshaw.

Getting sick and concluding:
The entire day, I was running a fever and my stomach ached like I had a hot coal in it. I have been in India for nearly three weeks now, this is my third trip to South Asia and not only have I never gotten ill, but I have also paid a similar price for a room and gotten a completely reasonable accommodation (both at their regular rate and at the discounted one). The owner has refused to refund me any money whatsoever and keeps telling me I must go through the site, and site keeps telling me it is up to the owner to decide. I was told that if I want my room back, I can come and get it any time now, but I would sooner drink straight from the Ganges or lick the curb next to the train station than go back to that place.

Don't be misled by the name. "Hotel Paan Spit" would not be as enticing, but a much more accurate description for this bug ridden, moldy, rickety hotel with a thief for an owner. He should be ashamed, and likely is.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo