“Very nice new hotel near the airport”
Review of Swissotel Kolkata

Swissotel Kolkata
Ranked #7 of 219 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Chicago, Illinois
“Very nice new hotel near the airport”
Reviewed 4 January 2013

This beautiful hotel is only a little over a year old, located close to the airport. It is rather far from the center of town, and it takes about an hour and a half to get to the Victoria Memorial Hall. The lobby and rooms have a sleek modern design, and the beds are comfortable. Overall the service staff is cheerful and pleasant. However, there are no bath robes in the room and no slippers provided, amenities that are expected in a five star hotel. The hotel charges for internet access, approximately $20 US dollars per day. Although this practice is common in India, it really should change and being a new hotel Swissotel can take the lead. Internet access is expected by every international traveler, and there is no reason why the service should be provided only at a relatively high cost.

There are several nice hotel restaurants and the café provides breakfast. The service at breakfast is usually very good and attentive. However, on the last day something fell apart. Oddly enough, it was the only day on which there was a hostess who took us to our table, but then the usual service kind of didn’t happen. The omelets we ordered never came. We finally ate what we could in a self-help fashion and departed.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Swissotel_Kol, General Manager at Swissotel Kolkata, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at Swissôtel Kolkata. Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor.

I am disappointed and concerned to learn that your experience at our hotel was not up to your expectation and I have simultaneously shared your feedback with my team. We will do everything possible to correct the shortfalls you have experienced this time. My team members and I extend my sincere apologies to you in this matter.

I would like to share with you that the internet access that we provide is complimentary irrespective on the duration of its use also in addition to this we do provide bathrobes and slippers in every room but as per the classification of the room and requirement specified during the reservation done.

I would request you to view this as isolation and not let it mark your overall impression of the hotel and its services. I look forward to welcome you back to Swissôtel Kolkata.

Swissôtel Kolkata

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 30 December 2012

The hotel is located on a calm and peaceful road adjacent to a Mall. It is as good as any other 5 Star hotel you would find in Kolkata.
The rooms are spacious with all amenities, food was fantastic amd the staff very couteous.
I loved the swimming pool on the Top floor....overlooking Kolkata!!
Also its not as expensive as others amd is a great value for money!!

The place is cozy and you never get a feeling as if you are lost which you often get in 5 Star hotels.

I would highly recommend this to every one

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Swissotel_Kol, General Manager at Swissotel Kolkata, responded to this review, 1 January 2013
Dear Guest,

It was a great pleasure having you stay in Swissôtel Kolkata and we would like to thank you for taking out time and post a review on Trip advisor.

It gives us a great pleasure to know that you had a comfort in staying with that and us our location and proximity to airport and to your business travel was a way much easier. We indeed take up the appreciation from your review about our Swiss contemporary and modern designs about the property.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on your return visit to Kolkata.

Nantwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2012

This hotel was amazing. We stayed for one week on business mainly. We should have been staying at a different hotel but they were all booked up due to the cricket but we ended up at this hidden gem. Although it meant more of a drive to get to the places we needed to be it was well worth it.
The staff were amazing and couldn't do enough to help. There is a shopping mall as part of this hotel complex which was very pleasant and easily accessible.
There is a great Spa where you can get many treatments but the massages are to be recommended!
There was only one very small criticism which when mentioned was taken on board and that was that there were not enough sun beds (only about 5 for the whole hotel) if you did get the chance to sit out.
All in all this is a fantastic hotel even the products in the rooms were top of the range. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

I along with my team members would like to thank you for giving us a review on TripAdvisor from your regular schedules.

It gives us a great pleasure to hear that you had a comfortable stay in Swissôtel Kolkata and the service delivered by our team, room and the location had fulfilled your expectation.

I along with my team members wait to welcome you again in Swissôtel Kolkata on your next visit to the city.

Warm regards,

Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed 22 December 2012

very close from the airport, attached to a mall so you can spend your free time having fun.I really liked the management of the staff, because i stayed there for a party ,i have seen the banquets, they are good, every year i choose this hotel for my show, they are very helpful n friendly trust me,they arranged each n every thing i needed on time.i will recommend this place to everyone.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Miss. Shub,

It was a great pleasure having you stay in Swissôtel Kolkata and we would like to thank you for taking out time and post a review on Trip Advisor.

I would indeed take the pride and share with my team members about your appreciation for the banquet team and the effort for the arrangement that would simultaneously help my team members work more efficiently and happily.

I along with my team members would wait to welcome you back at Swissôtel Kolkata on your next visit to Kolkata.

Calcutta, West Bengal, India
Reviewed 17 December 2012

The Swissotel was wonderfully relaxing after our exciting tour of Sikkim and Darjeeling. We originally intended to stay here 1 night to catch an early morning connecting flight, but ended up staying 2 nights because we missed our flight (our fault). We stayed in Room 801 which is a 1 bedroom suite. The hotel is awesome without any doubt.

Room Tip: i thinh no any tips required.....bcoz all things are awesome.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Rashid P

Warm regards,

Swissôtel Kolkata.
Montpellier, France
Reviewed 15 December 2012

November 2012, it was my second stay at Swissotel Kolkata. I've been there for business reasons.
I've stayed 15 days. A recent hotel really confortable and definitely one of the most friendly staff I've got the opportunity to meet (after thailand). You will get a restful moment in your confortable room, relaxing moment in the amazing swimming pool with wide view to the new international airport more align with the ambition of Kolkata, and the new town. After a long business day, go workout in the great fitness center where a coach is waiting for supporting you. After exercices, you will have difficult choice between indian restaurant at second floor, outside restaurant, buffet, bar at 6th floor. Food is really nice and service really professional and friendly. Inernet everywhere make you life easier to work or whatever you want. Just very good !

Room Tip: Higher floors are the most confortable but I've stayed a the 5th floor and i didn't get any...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank benjamin s
Dear theloubifarang,

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Good option depending on your needs. Within about 15 minutes from the airport. Not much in the area; appears residential. If you want to see the city or culture of Kolkata, you won't from here without a long drive. This is a newer property....I believe I was told 2 years old so it isn't worn yet. There is mall adjacent which was a good place to walk or even just 'hang out' to get away from the room. The mall has several restaurant options including several American chains (Subway, McD, KFC, Pizza Hut). Also found an ATM and pharmacy so that was convenient. Hotel staff was very friendly. I thought the breakfast buffet was average. Not a huge spread and the food was okay. I got a good breakfast and left full; but was average compared to other places I've stayed. I did see one staff member at breakfast drop a pair of serving tongs. He promptly placed them on the counter where they collect dirty dishes. A minute later, another staff member came along and move the tongs back to the bread table. Simple mistake but not something a guest should see. I did not like the location of the fitness center and pool area because you had to walk through the dining area to get to them. You get a nice view of people in their workout clothes (and sweat) walking through during breakfast. There were a few other restaurant/lounge options in the hotel. They looked nice but I did not try so can't comment on service or quality. Room was clean and had everything you need. It was a room (king bed, TV, desk and bathroom) and nothing extraordinary about it although I did like the hardwood floors instead of carpet. It was very clean, comfortable and no signs of wear on the furniture or sheets/towels. My only real problem was the Internet service. I was able to connect okay. Made it to the company VPN okay. However, my company softphone was not usable. It would startup and dial okay but that was it. I worked with our company voice services group and after trying a lot of things they said it must be a local hotel issue. Never had that problem before or since. Only real impact is that I missed a couple of calls and got more sleep that night so it worked out for me; I still had email and instant messaging with no problem. I was originally planning 12 nights but left after 2; moved to a hotel closer to the city. I did not move because of a problem at the Swissotel (although the phone issue would have to be resolved if I was staying 12 nights); it was my first trip to Kolkata and to be there that long, I wanted to experience more of the city. If you need 1 or 2 nights close to the airport, this one is recommended.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business