“Horrible!”

Ranked #220 of 324 Kolkata (Calcutta) B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Horrible!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

Had the same problem mentioned by others. Booked and paid ahead through Agoda after a good experience with the sister hotel in Delhi. On arriving, found that there were no rooms available. When we showed the voucher they acted as though they had no idea what it was and suddenly they couldn't speak English. After several minutes of calm but, persistent arguing, they showed us a room on the roof that was very unclean and shabby. We said no thanks and headed back down the stairs (the elevator doesn't go all the way to the rooftop). On the way down a man came out of his room 2 floors below and on a whim I asked if I could see they room. He let us look in and though it was not nearly as awful as what we had been shown, it was nothing like the web site, not even close. We notified Agoda and they are checking into it. With all the above reviews ignoring vouchers is obviously common procedure at Balaji. Definitely stay away.

Oddly the sister hotel in Delhi is quite nice. The room we stayed in was large, clean well-appointed and the bathroom had a shower stall... a rarity in lower-mid range rooms. They should sever connection with the Kolkata Balaji.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank ThriveSF

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

we had a worst experience of online booking of this hotel from 11/01/12 to 15/01/12..total 8075 charged by hotel in advance.But when i reached to hotel they provide us a room at top floor with foul smell & worst condition.in booking complimentary breakfast is their but they denied to give.when we asked for a better room, than next day they give us another room with 500/-per day extra charges.but misbehavior still remain after 2 night when we reach to hotel on 3 rd day evening they alot our room to some other person & told us to back in our old room.After asking to cancell the booking they refused to give us any refund..Due to cheating & misbehaving we moved to another hotel for next two days without any refund......BEAWARE FROM THESE TYPE OF HOTEL & NEVER EVER THINK TO BOOK THIS HOTEL , jo bhagwan ke naam par chori.......oh sorry.........dakaiti karte hai.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank sh007ban

Travellers are raving about these Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

I booked a room for Hotel Balaji Inn via Agoda.com. I wish I had read these reviews.

When I got to the hotel in the evening to check in, they had ignored my reservation that I had already paid for and gave my room to someone else! Then they preceded to say that they had another room for three times the amount I originally paid!

They WILL RIP YOU OFF!

Thankfully I had a friend who lived in Kolkata and I stayed with due to my housing emergency.

Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank bellevoce
Mumbai (Bombay), India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

This hotel is a scandal!!

I booked a Rs. 1200 standard room over phone and arrived there at 11.00pm. The Manager was not at the counter. The people present at the counter did not have the authority to give me the keys. Finally, after many phone calls, the manager arrived and gave me the keys and took Rs.1000 advance. I asked him about wireless internet access key that I might require to access internet multiple times, but he said that I didn't need it.
When the servant took me to the room, which was on 6th floor, I was SHOCKED to see that the room had not been cleaned atleast for a year. Please see the photos. It was so pathetic, that I am sure that the prison cells are better than this. There were 2 lizards running around. The bed had all sorts of stains and smelled really bad, The walls' paint had come off, and the furniture was atleast 20 years old. I couldn't access the internet as I didn't have the key.

The heater in the bathroom was dysfuntional. So, I could not take a bath. Also there was NO toilet paper either.

I rushed down the PITCH DARK elevator to check out immediately of this HELL. But, the manager and servant were gone from the counter and lights were turned off. The main gate was locked, so no way to get out. I somehow slept by spreading the large towel on the bed. It was my worst nightmare.

Early morning, I checked out of the hotel. The manager was not ready to listen to any of my complaints and insisted that I pay the remaining 200 rupees, although i was checking out so early.

PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS HELL HOLE !!!
CHECK OUT THE PHOTOS AS WELL.

Room Tip: Good rooms do not exist!!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank VilasR
Moscow, Russia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

We booked this hotel via cleartrip for our first night in Kolkata. When we came to it and gave our hotel voucher, the person on the reception asked how much we payed. I didn't remember this, so they showed us the worst small room on the last floor. I said this is not the room we paid for. But the man said that they have only one better room right now and for it we should pay extra charge. This "better" room was also not as it is on the website photos. So all photos on the website are fake. The bed was single and when we asked for the double bed the man said we can use an extra bed. I tried to explain that they should give us the room which we paid for. But that man didn't understand english well and was looking on me confused. When the manager came - he was very rude. He said that we can take this room or go in any other place we want. But the payment was already done. What could we do?
I will never go to this hotel again and do not recommend any others.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple