“Sapphire Suite”
Review of Sapphire Suites

Sapphire Suites
Ranked #63 of 229 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Reviewed 27 September 2013

The 1st Impression is the last impression and it was a bad one!!, It is situated right in the hustling and bustling New market , where you can hardly walk leave alone your car getting in the lane,and coupled with the fact the entrance is hard to find and its a narrow path between shops which take u inside and then one floor up is the Reception,Though they have some person to help u with the luggage. Stark white ambiance with black make u feel you have entered a sanitized hospital !!! i little bit warmth could have helped. The rooms was bad with a very small window a strict NO for claustrophobic people.!!Over all not a good place to stay both for leisure or for business.

Room Tip: Dont Stay!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Happen to stay in sapphire Suites in Lindsay st,Kol. The experience was terrible ,forget about the incompetence of the Reception guys and a girl,The room I took didnt have the basic amenities working i.e Air conditioner.Inspite of informing the hotel admin 10 hours in advance the hotel admin offered a room swap at 0200hrs early morning.While checking out the reason given was "its an electric equipment hence cant give guarantee".I mean which hotel gives such crap justification for a basic amenity. The only discount given was Rs 500 for a deluxe double room for the inconvenience caused, wherein the single day stay in kolkata was ruined only because of this experience.
To top it up tripadvisor has given an Excellence certificate to the hotel.I will never suggest this place to any of my friend in Mumbai.

Room Tip: Stay Away.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sumit S
Reviewed 10 September 2013

The hotel was fine.
However, they advertise free wine, chocolates and fruit basket on check in. When we reminded them of this we received just the wine and then later charged 1500 rupees. When we queried this we were told the wine was most definitely not free!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rowena B
Ravi S, General Manager at Sapphire Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Dear Rowena B,

Greetings from Sapphire Suites...!!!

We thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to Kolkata and for sharing your experience with us on this public platform Tripadvisior . We do give a bottle of wine complimentary according to the category of room like only on Sapphire Executive Suites , and the standard room which was booked by you does not entitles a bottle of complimentary wine.

We once again thank you for your custom and look forward to serving you again.

with regards,
Ravi Shanker Sharma
General Manager - Sapphire Suites.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I visited Kolkata last week for my brother-in-laws wedding & also wanted to stay at the heart of the city , So my brother-in-law booked the room at sapphire Suites which is close to the New market area. Really it was a wonderful experience of hospitality provided by the Hotel & all the staff. I found room are quite specious & well maintained . Hotel authorities gives enough importance hygiene part for the maintenance of the hotel.Though the coffee shop is very small but food & service is excellent . Overall it gives us a complete satisfaction.
Congratulation to the management for the wonderful hospitality they are providing for the travelers . Please keep the good work continue.

Thanks

Samit

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I have been traveling for long and far all this year, good room and comfortable stay is all I need. I took this hotel in a hurry by going through some review on one odd website and as I entered the hotel it was completely different from the way it was picturized and said in that review. As I went inside my room, it has a very small door and it was very closed kind of room that made me feeling in basement rather then on 3rd floor. The staff themselves are not sure of which room was allocated to me and the morning breakfast was quite okay but there too the dinning space was small and food grooming and presentation was very poor. The receptionistare not informative are not informative and I hired hotel car and they provides unhygienic and not very friendly taxi rendered by them from a local travel agent. Thought visit to Kolkata is alwys a joyful but stay in this hotel was just okay and not returning back again. I wish their proprietor make some good change in order to bring more good to his business and also to have traveller like us to visit again. Best wishes to all

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Many years in TripAdvisor, this is the first time I have to give a "terrible" mark to an hotel. We booked for two nights in early August. When we arrived to the hotel, they told us that for technical reasons with AC, we had to move to another hotel. So we walked with our luggage in hot crowded streets, to reach the other hotel. Note that other reviewers also had bad experiences with Sapphire AC. The day after they pushed out of the second hotel before noon, because they "needed the room". So we walked again to Sapphire Suites, and the waiter that helped us, broke my girlfriend bag cover. Once at Sapphire, the room was not ready, they told us to walk to the room on the top floor and then sent us back to the lobby. The manager offered us a bottle of wine to compensate for the trouble. We did not need the wine, so we got a complimentary dinner. We had to simple fish, one plate of chips and one vegetable side. Nothing else. The manager complained that the dinner was expensive, and we had to pay out of our pockets the two simple local beers we got. Of course it was expensive, the prices in the restaurant are three times more expensive that nice normal restaurants in the street. The room seemed nice, but had major issues with AC. There are two fancy and complex remote controls in the room, but actually the AC only works on ice cold, or off. So we had to turn it off all the time, not to be frozen. The hotel pretends to be clean and modern, but actually you really feel like it is totally fake. It's like being in a movie set, you feel like everything can fall apart at any minute. The staff is not polite at all. In the restaurant AC is so freezing that you want to stop eating. Breakfast is not at a 3 star hotel level. In the afternoon the lobby had very annoying techno music. I really really regret the day I booked this poor costly hotel. Stay away!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stefano-onthego
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

The room was fairly basic - the hotel has nothing special going for it to justify their high rates.

The other reason that I give this hotel low marks is because the resident mobile phone expert that was brought in by the owner/front desk manager took me for an absolute ride. Not only did he charge me in excess of 1000 rupees more than I should have paid for my SIM card, he lied about the data package he put me on, which I explained was not sufficient for my time in India.

After finding out I wasn't on the right plan, I immediately went back to the hotel and advised the woman that initiated this in the first place. After explaining to her what happened, she did absolutely nothing about it. The least she could have done was take ownership of the situation that she put me in - especially since what her "friend" did is akin to stealing.

I emailed every email address available for this hotel for follow-up and after a week with no reply I know they're not going to fix the situation.

This hotel is absolutely not worth the price they're charging - I'm glad I moved to a hotel a block away that cost less and delivered exceptional service (and had a way better breakfast!)

• Stayed: August 2013