“Very disappointing stay”

Ranked #163 of 334 Kolkata (Calcutta) B&B and Inns
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing stay”
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I decided to chose this hotel as it was next to Mother Teresa's House and as my wife grew up in the area she thought it would be a good idea to stay here. Big mistake! I booked a Double Deluxe Room as my wife was travelling with me and when we arrived we found people at the reception complaining about their rooms. However, we decided to go ahead and check in and when we got to our room could not believe how dark and dingy it was. We took one look at the towels and sheets and decided that we could not use what was supplied. In addition to these purchases, we also had to purchase a shower curtain and shower mat as the shower curtain was black from the bottom up to about 12 inches. My wife complained at reception enquiring if in fact we had a deluxe double room and we received conflicting information - one person said they would move us and another said it was a double deluxe room. Prior to our departure from the UK my wife enquired if they had a hair dryer and iron which they said they had. However when she asked to use the iron, she was told it was broken but they offered to iron 2 garments at a cost. When wanting to use the hair dryer there was only one in the hotel and she had to wait till someone else had finished with it before she could use it. Only after complaining did we get our room cleaned every day. We were also quoted taxes at 10.15% and suddenly these taxes escalated to 12. +%. With hindsight we would have been better off staying at the Baptist Mission Society Hostel which although it charges Rs. 1000 per night, was much cleaner and airy. I definitely would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I would not recommend this hotel. If you are looking for cheap, clean accommodation try the Baptist...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Normcabs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Korean first
Eagle River, Alaska
Reviewed 11 January 2013

We wanted to stay close to Mother Teresa's House and Hotel Heaven is just across the alley. Big mistake.

We arrived about 10:30 at night and immediately knew this was a huge mistake. We looked at 4 rooms and there was no difference one over the other. Since we had prepaid and it was late, we decided to make the best of it.

The bed had no sheets on it. The sink had mothballs in the drain and mothballs were scattered around the corners of the room. The shower had two plastic buckets to use to pour water over your head. I slept in my clothes and covered up with the two dingy bath towels provided. The bedspread was beyond filthy and the whole room stank.

I awoke with a bite on some sort on my arm, but lived to tell about it. My husband said that if Mother Teresa could do her work in much worse conditions that we should be able to handle two nights. Next was the peculiar smell. We finally determined that bug spray was being filtered through the air conditioning system. Needless to say, we would not even consider the free breakfast that was included.

We were at the Mother House in two minutes and considered ourselves fortunate, indeed.

We later took a taxi to Park Street and inquired about a hotel there. The room was $300/night.
We found good restaurants in that area and decided to put up with the Hotel Heaven one more night. (Actually, I wanted to pay the money, but my husband wouldn't hear of it).

It was the hotel from hell, but we lived to tell about it. This is not your typical budget hotel. We have stayed at many clean and basic places and know the difference. Stay away from this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't pick any room.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AlaskaMomofTwo

Travellers are raving about these Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels

Global
Reviewed 30 December 2012

This place is right beside Mother Theresa's Motherhouse and is relatively new... but the prices are astoundingly over the top for what looked very gerry-built rooms where superficial attempts at 'boutique' decor can't really hide the simplicity of the place. I looked at a few rooms before deciding that there was no way I'd want to stay there even at half the offered price.

Stayed November 2012, travelled solo