“Great food , bad rooms, worse hospitality”
Review of ITC Sonar

ITC Sonar
Ranked #2 of 250 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I had a short one night stay at the ITC sonar at Kolkatta. Being a business trip and a short one at that it was paramount that I get a good comfortable sleep after a long late evening flight . Had even called the hotel earlier to check on the kind of room and of they were allocating a double / king bed. They had said yes . When I got in to the hotel found the room to have a double bed and felt assured and went for dinner at dum pukht for my dinner . The restaurant didn't disappoint and the food was great . It was on my return to the room and finally when I lay down on the bed that disappointment happened .

It was clearly on of the worst beds I had slept on in any hotel .. I could feel the patterns on the mattress on my back in a very rough way .. The bed was hard and the worst thing was they had joined two single mattresses which were of different heights leaving an extremely irritating and uncomfortable groove in the middle of the bed .. I struggled to sleep all night but since it was post midnight and had an early meeting decided to rough it out . Now comes the worst part .. At the check out the lady at the reception ritualistically asked me how was my stay to which I replied " very uncomfortable and was the worst bed I ever slept on " ... Her response verbatim " oh ... Here is your bill sir "... And that's it !! That's it !!

I paid feeling a complete lack of hospitality and warmth at this cold hotel and with a firm belief of never to return .. My Itc club and Starwood preferred guest loyalty can take a walk !!

Stayed: July 2014
Atul B, General Manager at ITC Sonar, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. It is evident from your comment that we did not live up to your expectations. The areas highlighted have my immediate attention, so that such discrepancies do not occur in services.

We appreciate your comment on Dum Pukht, our signature restaurant which offers “The Grand Cuisine of India”.

Hope you would visit us soon; look forward to welcome you back.

ITC Sonar

Write a ReviewReviews (2,724)

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Hotel is superb, Rooms are awesome, FOOD IS TERRIFIC, specially food at Peshawari is very nice, sea food ofcourse tastes better at KOLKATTA.. I recommend this hotel for Family stay. Luxury and SERVICE at its best !!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to note that you had a pleasant and comfortable stay at the hotel.

We deeply appreciate your recommendation and look forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I have been staying at this place since 2010 and wonder the sustained Hospitality,Service quality & food,Courtesy demonstrated by the entire staff right from security to front desk to Gymnasium.This really amazes me!!

You will experience the courtesy right at the security gate with security personnel welcoming you which you will not experience at any other hotel.As you enter the lobby you will feel refreshing with a signature perfume in the lobby.

I was upgraded to suite room this time.Reservation was very well managed with quick check in provided by Mr Palash as usual at front desk.

It's a very very spacious room with a hall, dining table and massage chair.Bathroom provided with a shower area, bath tub and wc in separate block.It a real amazing experience to stay in suite room at ITC.

Breakfast experience was real good with choice of local Bengal food and South Indian options available.Same Menu not repeated every day.Should definitely try local Bengal food for breakfast be it a hing Kachori cholar daal or luchi.

Dumphukt is a amazing restaurant to try biryani /kebabs /North Indian food.We had a good dinner with kebabs,biryani and North Indian daal with khamiri roti.

This time we fell in love with Pan Asian which is a total pan Asian restaurant serving Chinese /Japanese/Mongolian cuisine.Quality of food, service and food suggestions made by Ms Vinita was really good.

Overall a very fantastic experience at this place.If you plan to stay at Kolkata it is definitely worth trying In Total Comfort (I.T.C) hospitality experience at this place!!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments.

Recommendation such as yours motivates us to strive for greater heights. We deeply value your patronage and hope to welcome you back in all your future visits.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I stayed in Sonar in Apr this year for the second time and I must say every time i come here, Sonar exceeds my expectations. The marvellous plush property with the true luxurious experience. The breakfast spread is amazing and the rooms are beautifully designed for a comfortable stay. The food at Dumpukht is out of the world. This hotel in the city of joy has won my heart and I plan to stay here again next month when I visit Kolkata.

Thanks for making my stay lovely again and again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Vikas M

Dear Guest,

Thank you sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor and for your glowing recommendation.

We deeply appreciate your comment on our breakfast, which endeavors to offer several international and local delights with several live stations and is one of the most extensive offerings in the city as well as our signature cuisine Dum Pukht.

Your patronage is deeply appreciated and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

One stay here and I loved the grandness of the place! A super hotel by ITC. The reception staff took a looooong time to check me in but barring that, we had an excellent stay. The rooms are great, the central lawn is big, the morning breakfast spread is really good, the staff is very courteous and the hotel cars are very well maintained with courteous drivers. The tepanyaki restaurant delivers awesome meals specially the prawns!
All in all a fabulous hotel!

Stayed: February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. Built as a business resort, ITC Sonar is an oasis in the bustling city of Kolkata paying tribute to the beauty of Bengal.

We deeply appreciate your comment on our breakfast, which endeavors to offer several international and local delights with several live stations and is one of the most extensive offerings in the city as well as our signature restaurant Pan Asian- which offers ‘The Flavours of East Asia”.

Hope ITC Sonar remains your preferred address in Kolkata, look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

It was my first trip to kolkatta and my experience with ITC was fab.
Staff were so good specially Ms. Manali from Concierge. She was so professional in her job with very friendly nature.

Love to visit again

Mohit

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Mohit G

Dear Guest,

Thank you sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to note that you had a pleasant stay and comfortable stay.

Your patronage is deeply valued and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Had put up my guests in ITC and had gone to check the rooms

Rooms ITC shud clean a bit more but overall an excellent experience for my guests

Must recommend ms Stephanie leung who helped thru the booking and has been one efficient and prompt person anyone can come across when it comes to dealing with the prorperty.

People make a difference and she surely made a massive differnce with the property being a class by itself.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us on Trip Advisor.

Being inspired from the local history and culture, ITC Sonar pays tribute to the beauty of Bengal through its unique landscaping.

We have shared you kind words with Stephanie to whom it is highly inspiring.

Your patronage is deeply valued.